Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Collector's Plates Fact

Awesome stereo or true original stock Corvette radio?

• New stereo for me!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Original radio for me!

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
page62 said:
I think this forum is losing its mind...I wrote the previous post MONTHS ago!!!

I assume you mentioned that because you got a pop back reply notice on this thread, but nothing had been actually written in it??

When a POLL is created it will do that after somebody votes...even if they don't post a reply.

When creating a poll, the author should select a end date for the poll, and after that date nobody can vote, and it won't keep popping up.

Someone had mentioned the Louisiana antique tags. One cool thing about them is that you can actually use an original year license plate and have that number assigned to your registration. In other words, with my 72 Vette I found an original good condition 1972 Louisiana license plate and had it registered to my car. That plate alone creates alot of conversation in itself. I found it on Ebay for $2.75 and it even had the correct troop letter for my location.

CS

New York has the same thing with historical and old correct year plates. I have a set of original 62 plates for my Corvair. I never got them registered, as the Vette took my life over a few years ago. This only applies to the older plates with a year number on them.

I still have the original 8-track in my Vette. I love it! Mostly because I really do love the older music from that time, the classic rock. The best ever written, IMO. :D

I have a Custom Autosound System and also plan on looking into Collecter Plates if it will help with the insurance. Altho in my area of Ohio there is no testing just pay and drive

Here in Arkansas, antique plates are $7 FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN IT.

No renew fees, ever.

The vehicle has to be 25 years old, and they list almost everything (except the radio) has to be stock.

They did not require any pictures, but I did sign an affidavit stating such. (My '77 is all original, except new paint).

I am thinking of doing some modifications in the future, but I wonder how anyone (police) would ever know its not stock, unless I told them...

Mike

I'm sorry Jade, but there isn't an insurance company in the world that will void your coverage, and deny a claim on your vehicle because it no longer has the original radio. I can also tell you with certainty, that no state, or province will deny you collectors plate status because of a cd player. These are typically based entirely on the year of the vehicle only, and no other factors come into play. I have my 1966 GMC Greyhound bus insured, and registered as a collector's vehicle. Most states/provinces consider anything over 25 years old to be eligible for collectors plate status, regardless of what the vehicle is, as long as it isn't being used commercially. Here in Colorado, we have a plate for everything, we have at least 50-75 different plates, and they even have one for collector vehicle used commercially.

clar2001 said:
Anouther comment about Ca. your only allowed to drive to and from Historical events with your car, if you registor this way,so I diden't do it .
I was looking for a way to become smoge exempt. but I drive more than that ,
However I did find out that you are exempt when your ride is 30yrs old.

thats to days date minus 29 - 1974 this year. in CA.
And Historical plates were only $40 yr.

CA is very picky about the collectors plates. You are right, you have to drive to and from events only. Here in CO we are lucky, they don't care, you can drive 100,000 miles a year if you like. No smog for as long as you own the car (yes, we have to smog EVERYTHING), and no registration renewal for 5 years.

For all you Californians, there is a little known section of the vehicle code, that allows you to waive ALL back registration fees for vehicles that qualify for the Historical Vehicle status, regardless if you register it as one or not. You just have to fill out a statement of facts stating that this is a vehicle of historic significance, and has not been driven due to repairs, restoration, blah, blah, blah. Can get you out of some large back fees.

LT1Vettepilot said:
I built a custom stereo system for my room mate's '66 Nova. He has a rare original stereo in the car that he did not want to remove. So the hidden system was ideal. There's a catch though. The hidden system and the original can't use the same speakers. The hidden system is just like an in-dash receiver except that its under your seat or in the trunk. If you wire the speakers to both stereos, i.e. in parallel, you take a chance of cooking both stereos and possible blowing speakers in the process. In my room mate's Nova, there wasn't really a problem because the original stereo consisted of a single center speaker in the dash. I mounted a pair of Rockford Fosgates in the rear pillars (much cutting and custom risers required) using the pillar and headliner as the enclosure. I also custom fabricated fiberglass enclosures using the front kick panels for another set of Rockfords. The control panel was mounted in the headliner (but can also be controled with an Rf remote control from 30ft away). There are no subs at the moment, and with the windows up they aren't neccesary, but planned for in the future. The speaker grills were painted to match the rest of the interior and the Rockford symbols were blended to make the entire system appear original. He now has the best of both worlds. An era looking interior (you can't see the control panel in the headliner unless you look for it) with great sound.

OK, I'm a little confused. Your buddy has this Nova, with a rare factory stereo, which he didn't want to remove. I got that part. But he has no problem with cutting the B pillars, installing subs, and making fiberglass enclosures everywhere?

Evolution1980 said:
When I got my plates (Ohio) a few years back, all I had to do was pass my emissions test once (which wasn't a problem in it's stock format.) After that ALL the emissions stuff came out. That's why it's all for sale now... Now I have that muscle car sound again which Corvette's lost sometime in the early 70's (IMHO) :)

In Ohio, e-checks are different for each county, some not even requiring them. As for Ohio on the whole, I think the owner has to be able to prove some type of collectibilty, so yeah, there shouldn't be much a problem with any vettes. Now, a beat up 1978 station wagon that blows more black smoke than a Mack truck...yeah... I saw someone try to pull that off one time as collector.

You might want to save all that emissions stuff. Someday you might want to restore the car, and then you'll kick yourself in the ass for getting rid of all of it. You also might want to sell it, and the value will be higher if you keep all of it. I can't imagine you'd get much $$$ for all the smog stuff, so you might just want to throw it all in a box, and store it away. Just look at how many '69 vettes are out there, missing the emissions equipment, and serious restorers are trying to hunt it all down. Personally, I save every part that gets taken off, and I just put it in a box. That way, if I ever want to put it back, it's there. Just my $0.02 worth ($2.59 adjusted for fuel prices).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom