Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Column lock problem AFTER car was wrecked!

HI there,
What are you looking for???
Service column lock? or remove key, wait ten second?
'remove key', meaning that your chime is going off after you remove the key??
Please explain.
Were you able to drive the vehicle?
Allthebest, c4c5

Ya, the car geve me the "remove key for 10 seconds" every time I tried to start the car (if I had removed the key from the ignition) If I leave the drivers door open when I put the key in and start the car I don't get the "remove key" message. I says the usuall corvrtte the after the car starts "door open" message appears on the dash.....I close the door and off I go! Rememer the drivers side was the impact side.......

HI there,
It sounds like you have a sticking ignition switch.
It says remove key wait 10, but when you do, the BCM doesnt see that you removed the key.
Did you do the test when you put the key in the ignition and open the door to see if the chime occurs?
Allthebest, c4c5

With the key in the ignition and I open the door it does chime.......it's been 2 days now and I haven't got the remove key for 10 second message while inserting the key and starting with the drivers door opened.....I am going to have the chevy store next door (who cant find the problem) flash the module and make the fuel cut off 200 mph and keep on experimenting.......

WAIT, did the chime occur when you take the key OUT of the ignition?
Why experiment, follow what we are describing and you can diagnose it without guessing.
Close the door, start the car.
IF YOUR BCM SEES A KEY WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR and the key OUT< your problems with the switch inside the lock cylinder!!!
Allthebest, c4c5

WAIT, did the chime occur when you take the key OUT of the ignition?
Why experiment, follow what we are describing and you can diagnose it without guessing.
Close the door, start the car.
IF YOUR BCM SEES A KEY WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR and the key OUT< your problems with the switch inside the lock cylinder!!!
Allthebest, c4c5

No, it does not chime with the key out.....there next place they will be looking at (tomorrow) is the module in the drivers door and the harness that runs to-from the enging compartment........looking for a wireing schematic for drivers door on vette

The insurance company FINALLy called me back and I told them of the ongoing issues, they made an appointment for me yesterday and I took it in, the tech was pretty sure that if he replaced the key cylindar and put the "origional" module in it it would be fine.....NOPE! They called late yesterday and said they think the steering column and "rod" is bent......haven't heard back yet today......

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer Steering column was bent, replaced the parts....not sure which the tech was gone when I picked the car up, but it was definately grounding out in the column:)

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer Steering column was bent, replaced the parts....not sure which the tech was gone when I picked the car up, but it was definately grounding out in the column:)

Glad you got yours fixed. It's a nuisance that won't be bothering you anymore.

I haven't had the "wait 10 secs" pop up now for about 3 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that it has gone away for good. ;shrug

I have a 97 and experienced the CL problem last year...after two trips to the dlr via flatbed wrecker for repairs, they finally determined that it was the ignition switch. Changed it and presented me with two new keys and a four hundred dollar plus bill and all has been well. Might consider this...good luck.

Rufus

I had the same remove key for 10 seconds message last year. The car would not run over 2 MPH and had to be flat-bedded to the dealer. The fix that time was "the recall was done incorrectly" by another dealer for the previous owner so it had to be corrected. No issues until today,380 days and 20K miles later. So far, the fix was spraying the key with WD-40. I will cancel the flat bed and the appointment unless it acts up again in the morning.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom