Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Column Lock Question ...????

Hitzelberger

Corvette
2000 Yellow Roadster
This past November I had my Column Lock fixed/corrected by the local Chevy dealer ... then parked the car for the Winter ... the other day I had the car out for the first full day of driving. While out I stopped for lunch and upon leaving I got the Message "remove key and want 10 sec. " while trying to back out of my parking space... I was able to restart the car ... but ... it took me 4-5 attemps before the car would continue running ... I guess that I have to take it back to the dealer but just wanted to know if anyone else had this type of re-occuring problem after the lock was "fixed" and if there is anything I should express to my dealer as to what is wrong and what may need to be fixed again ...

Ron Hitzzz
2000 Corvette

This past November I had my Column Lock fixed/corrected by the local Chevy dealer ... then parked the car for the Winter ... the other day I had the car out for the first full day of driving. While out I stopped for lunch and upon leaving I got the Message "remove key and want 10 sec. " while trying to back out of my parking space... I was able to restart the car ... but ... it took me 4-5 attemps before the car would continue running ... I guess that I have to take it back to the dealer but just wanted to know if anyone else had this type of re-occuring problem after the lock was "fixed" and if there is anything I should express to my dealer as to what is wrong and what may need to be fixed again ...

Ron Hitzzz
2000 Corvette

Hi Ron,
The easiest way to fix it is to install a Colmn lock by-pass (CLB).
It is fairly easy to install and you'll never have to worry about the dreaded column lock again. I have one in my tripleblack and installed one in my wife's Z06.
They cost about $50.00.

Best reagrds,
Pedro

I'd sure take it back to the dealer and let them check it out. I had all of the recalls done but my column locked up and $900 later it was fixed by the dealer. Went out a bought the CLB off the big auction sight and installed. Good luck with you dealer.

Ron Hitzzz
2000 Corvette

Hi Ron, I had the same problem as you and I mentioned this in the forum a while back and was told about the CLB fix but was also told that the column had to be put back to its original state before installing the CLB or it wouldn't work. I was also told that it was possible that a weak battery could cause the same message to pop up. My dealer told me that it was possibly caused by a malfunctioning security system. Well, duh! If you don't pull the key and wait you're not going to get anywhere because it shuts down after about 10 secs. Anyway, I replaced my battery because it did show that it was weak. I've had the battery for about 1 month without any message...........until last week. Now I have to believe that it has something to do with the dealer removing the column locking plate because I never had the msg "Pull key, wait 10 secs" before. I feel kind of leery taking it back to the dealer to fix since they "broke" it the first time.

I had numerous issues after all dealer work was done. Week battery is going to cause the malfunction, the kicker is that the battery is plenty strong to start the engine several times. Installed CLB 2 years ago and never had an issue, even with week battery, best $50 i spent on the car!

Service Column Lock Message

I guess this is a common problem. I just had this message for the first time this last Sunday. I checked with my mechanic and he says check the battery first. My battery is an AC Delco six year battery and the car is ten years old. Also I am not seeing the green light so I'm thinking the battery is going. I disconnected it to clear the codes and charged it for a few hours. Now I'm getting the pull the key and wait ten seconds and then the service column lock message. I am going to put in a new battery and cross my fingers.

Mine was fixed under the recall, but I still occasionally got the 10 sec msg, I waited and restarted and all was OK. I understand that the dealer fix replaces the lock plate with a spacer so the lock can no longer engage, but the lock motor still has to retract the lock pin before the signal goes to the ECM. Problem with the GM fix is the motor that drives the lock pin is still left operational, but the solenoid that activates the pin gets weak and will not retract the pin, causing the ECM to think the lock is still engaged. The only good fix is a CLB. It must be installed when the pin is in the run position, so if you are having intermittant problems get one installed ASAP or you will be paying the dealer to install a new motor that you don't really need.

Mine was fixed under the recall, but I still occasionally got the 10 sec msg, I waited and restarted and all was OK. I understand that the dealer fix replaces the lock plate with a spacer so the lock can no longer engage, but the lock motor still has to retract the lock pin before the signal goes to the ECM. Problem with the GM fix is the motor that drives the lock pin is still left operational, but the solenoid that activates the pin gets weak and will not retract the pin, causing the ECM to think the lock is still engaged. The only good fix is a CLB. It must be installed when the pin is in the run position, so if you are having intermittent problems get one installed ASAP or you will be paying the dealer to install a new motor that you don't really need.
I could not agree more!!! The Gm fix is totally unreliable, and slightly weaker battery will get you stranded!!! This problem has coasted me over a $1K in towing and repair charges after all recalls were done. GM would not step up to the problem and blamed everything but the sun for my problems, and thus avoid paying for towing and etc. Two years ago I installed the CLB and never again I had any problems. Funny how a $50 item put all the ugly gremlins to bed that GM could not and will not. Guess some lawyer somewhere figured it will be cheaper to take this posture, it's a shame that loyal fans of the car are left out in the wind. Guess I'm very passionate about the subject, Thanks for letting me vent and I strongly recommend getting the CLB. Regards, Zig.

I too had the column lock up after the first recall was done. Chevy paid for the tow and did the second recall. No problem after that, but after reading all of the posts on the problem, I ordered the CLB from Corvettes of Houston last December after the vettes were placed into storage. Two weeks ago, I took the 02 out of storage and installed the CLB. Easy install, but the hardest problem is removing the knee panel under the column if you have never done it before. COH instructions are okay, but lack the detail for removing the knee panel. Instructions say to remove the screws and pull knee panel away from the column. In my case, it just didn't work as I could not get the knee panel off. Read my FSM and it instructed me to remove the instrument panel first, then the knee panel. The knee panel is held onto the dash with screws behind the sensors and switches on the dash, and with two snap pins that slide into holes and attach to the the dash; the snap pins are guided to the holes with two plastic posts that slide into guides. The snap pins are located on the left side of the dash at the door. The top one is about 3 inches below the top of the panel and the second about where the knee panel curves. You pull them straight out after removing the screws. You may have to replace the snap pins onto the knee panel as they sometimes slip off. Once the panel is off, everything else is easy. The COH instructions said to install one wire to the CLB and plug it into the cigarette lighter, then turn the key on and the lock would unlock the column. When I plugged the device into the cigarette lighter, it immediately unlocked the column. Then I turned on the key on. I know that the Chevy fix works for some period, but the column could lock again, plus, the gas flow could be shut off even if the column does not lock. COH people said that the CLB also eliminates the gas cut-off. My advice, if you own a C5 with a M6, install the CLB.
Barrett

I had the dealer do the column lock fix ... so from reading many of the posts it sounds like I can not use the CLB because my lock plate has been removed ... I'm I correct in this thinking ....??? by the way, the car has a A4 transmission ...

Ron Hitzzz

I had the dealer do the column lock fix ... so from reading many of the posts it sounds like I can not use the CLB because my lock plate has been removed ... I'm I correct in this thinking ....???

You are incorrect in that assumption:). GM removes the plate but leaves everything else in place. It is the left behind parts that actually cause the problem in the first place. The CLB disconnects the lock mechanism from the electrical system and creates an electronic signature fooling the computer in to believing all is there and well.

You are incorrect in that assumption:). GM removes the plate but leaves everything else in place. It is the left behind parts that actually cause the problem in the first place. The CLB disconnects the lock mechanism from the electrical system and creates an electronic signature fooling the computer in to believing all is there and well.

I agree, I had both recalls done and still did the CLB.
Barrett

So.....let me see if I've got this right.......

There appears to be 2 issues with the column lock problem. The first issue is that your steering wheel remains unable to be turned when you want to start the car, and the second issue is that the pin that locks the wheel will not retract, and in the non retracted position shuts off fuel and spark. GM's "fix" resolves the first issue by replacing the locking plate with a spacer. This allows you to be able to now turn your steering wheel when the car will not start! That "fix" must have come ftom the tow-truck lobby, because all it does is make it easier for them to get the vehicle on the bed of a roll-back or tilt bed! This "fix" does nothing to resolve the root cause of the problem, that being the pin doesn't/can't/won't retract. This second issue (the root cause) is the one that is specifically addressed by the column lock bypass adapter. This adapter ignores the pin location and sends a dummy signal to the ECM indicating that the pin is fully retracted. This tells the ECM to allow fuel and spark so the engine starts. Is that what I'm hearing? I own a 2000 coupe with automatic, and the column lock recall was done before I bought the car. I am currently NOT getting any messages or codes about this, and need to know if I should get the column lock bypass. Can it be successfully installed after the recall has been done? Any "Gotcha's" that I should watch out for should it be determined that I need to install it? Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.
Andy Anderson :w

Column Lock Fix

Mine was fixed under the recall, but I still occasionally got the 10 sec msg, I waited and restarted and all was OK. I understand that the dealer fix replaces the lock plate with a spacer so the lock can no longer engage, but the lock motor still has to retract the lock pin before the signal goes to the ECM. Problem with the GM fix is the motor that drives the lock pin is still left operational, but the solenoid that activates the pin gets weak and will not retract the pin, causing the ECM to think the lock is still engaged. The only good fix is a CLB. It must be installed when the pin is in the run position, so if you are having intermittant problems get one installed ASAP or you will be paying the dealer to install a new motor that you don't really need.

Thanks much for the great info. I just ordered a CLB from Corvettes of Houston. My battery may still be weak but the bypass sounds like a good investment to me.

JH

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom