Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Comment on the '06 Z06 by Dave Hill

B

Brett

As a part of the new Road&Track article on the C6, they conducted a small interview with Dave Hill. They ask him about the new Z06, and he says that there will be more of a difference between the C6 Z06 and the base model in both horsepower AND looks, than the C5 Z06 and it's counterpart.

This is very exciting, as it sounds like the car will actually look much different than the base models as well. It's going to bring back some of the uniqueness, a la the 1990 ZR-1, that the C5 Z06 didn't have.

It sounds like it is pretty set in stone that it's getting the LS7 3-valve 6.3L 500 hp engine, from c4c5. So there is the greater horsepower difference he is talking about (100 hp difference, compared to the 55 hp margin between the C5 and C5 Z06). The question is, what do you think they are going to change on the body? What do you WANT changed for the new "high performance" 'vette?

Brett said:
The question is, what do you think they are going to change on the body? What do you WANT changed for the new "high performance" 'vette?

I want lots of stickers, a big a@@ wing, huge exhaust tips, lots of ground effects, 20 inch rims front and back plus, I want NNNAAAWWWSSSS!!!!! :D

Brett said:
What do you WANT changed for the new "high performance" 'vette?

Definitely a unique color with appropriate badges. A convertible option would also be nice, with the decline in performance assumed because of the added weight and less ridgid body.

Possibly bigger rims? A new exhaust would definitely be necessary.

Well, the current Z06 already has badges, air ducts, different rims, different exhaust, and less weight.

He said the C6 Z06 is going to be even more different structurally.

I'm thinking an entire section of the body might actually be different, such as when the 1990 ZR-1 was distinctive because of the rounded rear-end, which the regular C4 did not have. It was then extended to all 'vettes the next year. So perhaps the new Z06 will do something similar, and offer a chance for even more refinement of the C6 body styling.

Brett,

Do you think they'll use carbon fiber? I think that the commemorative Z06 with the CF hood was a test to see how well they could integrate CF into the Corvette line.

That's a good question, Edmond. I have to say I can't really comment on that with any authority. The circumstantial evidence is surely there.

I recall a thread on this board, from several months ago, discussed that very same idea. Someone wondered if the C6 would use carbon fiber, and if the commemorative Z06 was a test run for the material. I think Hib Halverson responded saying that carbon fiber would not be used in the base C6--but don't quote me on that.

One would think carbon fiber would be a logical direction to head though. I guess it all depends on how much they want to charge.

Didn't they have problems with the carbon fiber on the Comm Z06? I remember something about that being posted. I think that is why they had a problem in getting them out to the dealers. I could be wrong though. It may have been a different problem with them.

Edmond said:
A convertible option would also be nice, with the decline in performance assumed because of the added weight and less ridgid body.
I forgot to mention, he also specifically stated it will not be available as a convertible, and only FRC like the C5 Z06.

:D The C-6 Z06 will only be available in a hard top. Expect 500 hp. with aluminium frame rails, maybe some other trick body parts like the hood! Also look for a front end with air inlets for front brake cooling, think Porsche GT2 size. Rear brake air scoops, trans & oil coolers as std. equipment and possibly BREMO BRAKES! Also expect pricing at about ~ 60 Large!

Didn't they have problems with the carbon fiber on the Comm Z06? I remember something about that being posted. I think that is why they had a problem in getting them out to the dealers. I could be wrong though. It may have been a different problem with them.

I would hope GM could work this out. Porsche has that new mid engine car coming out that is all carbon fiber body.

I do not think a lot of changes are really necessary to the new z06. Give me 500 hp on the c6 and I will be first in line. Though, if I had a wish list. It would include: Carbon fiber body (or atleast the hood), brembo brakes, huge chrome rims, lower body, and enough badging to make those who oppose us run in fear.
:beer

hmm sound good to me cept the bug chrome rims, maybe some c5r or c6r :D , inspired rims :beer

Changes for the C6 ZO6

I would like a better design for a clutch swap that would take about 1-2hrs worth of work. I would like to see a removable hardtop. I would like to see different rear gear options like 3.73, and 3.90. I'm not asking for too much am I? :( (NO SIRE) How about a digital sign that pops up and says, "Don't bother trying to race me, you will definitely lose, so why waste your time and fuel." :L < and this laughing guy along with the message.

I would strongly consider buying.... a second year production of a sequential shift dual clutch 500hp 2900 lb C6 Z06..

JB'sC5

JB,
That would be awesome, I must say. Imagine sub 4 second bursts to sixty and easy 11's in the quarter without any fuss, with that set up. Sign me up!

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
JB,
That would be awesome, I must say. Imagine sub 4 second bursts to sixty and easy 11's in the quarter without any fuss, with that set up. Sign me up!
:D :D :D :upthumbs :D :D :D

C6 Z06 Assumptions and Speculation

Expect FRC (hardtop), around 3 second 0-60, less than 90 feet 60-0, over 1.05g lateral acceleration, around 2,900 lb. curb weight, wider wheels (10" / 12", or better), larger engine and trans. oil coolers. Would like hydroformed aluminum frame, dry sump, bigger bolsters on seats.
Unlike some, do not want decals, stickers, or small circus trailer.

THAT IS SO!!! AWSOME!!! :D i cant wait! were did u hear that, aww if it cost what they say it will awww man i gotta have one then next to it a blue devil but were did u hear that :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom