Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Competion mode on a 1999, Optional?

dalelefor

Corvette
1999 black coupe
Competion mode on a 1999 C5, Optional? I have a 1999 C5 and the manual talks about how to turn on the comnpetion mode, but when I try it does not activate. Someone said it was a option in 1999. Is this true? Can the computer be flashed to install it or does it require different ABS type hardware. I have tried holding the traction control button down for 5 to 15 seconds with the car running, stopped, idleing, off, etc, but no competion mode. I auto cross the car and would really like to have this feature.:puke

Active Handling was a $500.00 option in the 1999 C5 model year - and to enter competition mode, you must have the option.

It was not just a computer reflash, but additional controlers, sensors, ABS servo, computer, etc.

If holding down the button for a few seconds doesnt turn it on you dont have it.

For a '99, I'm pretty sure you have to be at a dead stop. You may or may not have to have it in Park as well (I'm not sure of the Park thing).

In 99 wasn't the competition mode part of Z51 option only?

The "Black Book" shows Active Handling (JL4) as an Option for 98/99/00 models with most getting them. Holding the traction control button down for 5 seconds is supposed to put the car into Competition Mode.

Check your RPO sticker for JL4.

Friend just told me and I thought I'll share, "all C5 corvettes came with competition mode, it automatically engages at 3/4 throttle!"
:upthumbs:thumb

Friend just told me and I thought I'll share, "all C5 corvettes came with competition mode, it automatically engages at 3/4 throttle!"
:upthumbs:thumb

NOT...

I have a 99 and you have to be stopped and hold the button for about 7 seconds for the competition mode to engage. It automatically resets when you turn the ignition off.

Competion mode on a 1999 C5, Optional? I have a 1999 C5 and the manual talks about how to turn on the comnpetion mode, but when I try it does not activate. Someone said it was a option in 1999. Is this true? Can the computer be flashed to install it or does it require different ABS type hardware. I have tried holding the traction control button down for 5 to 15 seconds with the car running, stopped, idleing, off, etc, but no competion mode. I auto cross the car and would really like to have this feature.:puke
On what page and paragraph in the 1999 manual are you seeing this statement?

Denny

Here's what the manual says.

Competitive Driving​
The driver can select an optional handling mode by
depressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the
console for more than five seconds, while the vehicle is
stopped with the ignition on. Competitive Driving mode
allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels
while the Active Handling System helps steer the
vehicle by selective brake application. The instrument​
cluster light will not be on. The Traction Control Syste

The fuctional words are "when the vehicle is stopped and the ignition is on". You can determine whether it needs to be in park or neutral. However the selective brake system still works when in this mode. I believe if you just shut off the Active Handling package by pressing the button once it will disable traction control as well as the selective brake system. I would think that this would be the more accurate competitive driving mode. I am not sure I would want the selective brake control active when putting the car through it's paces especially in a drift. My 98 has this option which as someone said was not standard until 2000.

Enjoy the ride,
Denny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom