Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Complete Carbon Fiber door panels*C4 Corvettes*

GO_VETTE

Corvette
1984 Pearl White Coupe
okay guys, since there are limited parts and vendors for C4 Corvettes.
I am :mad.
and I have decided :eyerole
to take my artistic abilities to the next level.
I have taken on the challenge.
My Red door panels come off.
I am making my own Carbon Fiber door panels.

:thumb
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...riendID=447000934&albumID=370&imageID=7266892
just like my custom crafted 1967 London cab and my home made Carbon Fiber Hash marks.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...riendID=447000934&albumID=370&imageID=7266910

vinyl w/ CF pattern.
but door panels will be actual CF.

Update on Carbon Fiber door panels

okay guys today i prepped the mold.
my off day started with a visit to Home Depot to purchase some supplies.
scrub and wash the mold.
repairs done on cracks, here and there.
now the putty is drying up. I am gonna go to the gym.
after the cracks are dried and firm, I am gonna clean it more, sand it down some more.
I will keep you informed about the carbon Fiber graphite application.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...riendID=447000934&albumID=370&imageID=7601266

Sounds Cool!

BTW, do you realize in a couple pics your front drivers side wheel and passenger side wheel are on the wrong side?;shrug

;LOLno wonder the car has been driving better..;LOL
just kiddin, I did not even notice that, it just went on unnoticed...
that is great, now I have a reason to dismount the wheels, remove the tires, and installing 4 tire pressure sensors.
And make sure that not only sensors are placed properly but wheels also.
;LOL;LOL;LOL

okay, today I ordered some supplies from US Composites.
1. 2 yards of carbon fiber graphite twil 2 X 2
2. 6oz of hardener (simply b/c i cannot wait till 7o deg. temp and I dont have a baking oven, so I need to add extra hardener to dry quickly)
3. 1 quart of Polyester resin Silmar 249
4. black tint
5. surface wax
total cost w/ shipping =$120.00
----------------------------------------------------------
now I am going back outside to complete the right side vinyl hash marks (CF).
go to Home depot and buy grit 100 sand paper, cups, brushes & latex gloves- and begin to get the mold ready for the supplies.
*more pics will be uploaded as we apply the CF*

This is so cool! I can hardly wait to see more pics! :upthumbs

WHILE YOU ARE MAKING THE MOLD, PLEASE SAVE THE :w!

I believe it should just take more time in preparation, such as sanding and ensuring surface prep.
The actual laminating process is not so difficult, only the drying time.
TIME, TIME and Time is what I dont have of so much.
Just like, it took me longer to paint the darn fence w/ a piant brush then the actual Corvette on painting "frontier Moment"
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 37 of 157 by NY - MySpace Photos

1-the hardest part was to ensure the brush is fine and pointy as the the last stroke application before dipping into paint and prior to applying it on canvas.

2-remixing paint to get same shade and hues as last mix in palette-acrylics paint dries up in less than 2 minutes

3-how to create a dark shade on color-without Black tube(black tube not to be used for shades)

Corvette Action Center members. I have begun to strip the entire interior down, while at it, I was just looking at a few items.
It occured to me to get CAC members participation, opinion on interior design.
vote is open till March 28th 2009. * or when I have my supplies.
--------------------------------------------------
the car has red interior.
dash bezels are in carbon fiber finish.
door panels (upper part in Carbon Fiber & lower part w/ carpet and speaker housing w/ speaker)
need to get some vote here.
------------------------------------------------------
1. Door Sill
(a) aluminum polish
(b)carbon fiber
(c) factory red

2. door panel inserts
(a) factory black
(b)aluminum polish
(c) carbon fiber

3.lower dash panel
(a) factory red carpet over trim pcs
(b) Carbon Fiber
----------------------------------------------------------------
just write #1 and select a, b or c
#2 and se;ect choices and same for b
-----------------------------------------------------------------
:w Thank you for your participation.

OK...how about stainless steel doorsills and SS panel inserts?
Are we talking a brushed finish, mirror finish or turned. HEY! Once you open that design door I'll make your head spin! I'm dying to see those CF panels!!!

And BTW, 99% of the time my answer to your question when there is a choice will be Carbon Fiber! Every car I own I use the panels and now you are inspiring me to price the CF again for some custom work!
Of course my next question to YOU will be what COLOR weave carbon fiber? :W
:w

You mean stainless steel door sills? The look is great, but if it is heavier than the factory plastic sill?
How about this? keep factory door sill w/ a brushed aluminum plate mounted in center of sill w/ logo.
or the door sill can be CF w/ aluminum plate mounted in center.
---------------------------------------
only 1 thing to keep in mind. factory interior is red.
I am keeping red interior- b/c my rear carpets are good. no need to spend money.so to keep things matched, I guess my purchase option for front is limited to RED
all i need are set of front carpets( driver/passenger, doors, console sides, and lower dash panels).
red factory seats.

1. Door Sill
(a) aluminum polish
(b)carbon fiber
(c) factory red

2. door panel inserts
(a) factory black
(b)aluminum polish
(c) carbon fiber

3.lower dash panel
(a) factory red carpet over trim pcs
(b) Carbon Fiber

Can you post a picture with these pieces pointed out. If we are thinking of the same parts, I think 1(a), 2(c), and 3(c), but I could be wrong.

Also, I have noticed from your many threads that you make a lot of carbon fiber pieces. Do you make extras for selling? Not sure how you make your molds, but would it help you get your money's worth if you used them more? (hint hint)

Can't wait to see photos of the finished pieces.

You mean stainless steel door sills? The look is great, but if it is heavier than the factory plastic sill?
How about this? keep factory door sill w/ a brushed aluminum plate mounted in center of sill w/ logo.
or the door sill can be CF w/ aluminum plate mounted in center.
---------------------------------------
only 1 thing to keep in mind. factory interior is red.
I am keeping red interior- b/c my rear carpets are good. no need to spend money.so to keep things matched, I guess my purchase option for front is limited to RED
all i need are set of front carpets( driver/passenger, doors, console sides, and lower dash panels).
red factory seats.

Carbon fiber sills with aluminium/or stainless plate with logo!!! I'm drooling!

How about a red/black carbon weave?

Personally I think the stock GM colors boring in that EVERYTHING seems to be a monochrome. I like contrast. For instance I use the black floormats instead.

Seemingly contradictory to my previous statement though.... I found the stock black speaker grills and top holders ugly and cheap looking since they seem to highlight something that doesnt need it and painted them grey as well as used chrome on the window switches and knobs.

However, in your case some aluminum speaker grills on the carbon fiber door panel would be amazing!

Anyway You seem to have what the art world calls the "Discriminating Eye" and its gonna be cool no matter what!

YES! I agree the chrome door speaker grill would defintely look awesome.
The top half of the panel in black CF.
the bottopm half w/ red carpet (GM factory red) and the speaker cover in chrome.
:)
who did your window and door switches chrome? how much did they charge?
Now that leaves us w/ the door sill.
The door sill red w/ black weave? let me imagine it or if not pencil it in, color it and see how it looks.
what is your opinion on console cover? just plain red?

have you seen in Mid Americas catalogue the finish line collection upholstery?
I do like it. Do you think that by having a finish line collection console cover would be off the line. (mismatched from all else)?

okay, what did I do today?
I had a great Muscle Milk shake ( as a meal replacement), great source of Fiber and protein.:thumb
We all know, chopping weight, via fiberglass, plastic, and carbon fiber components.
To take weight reduction at the next level,the engineers of Porsche team in Bundesrepublik Deutschland are working on Carbon Fiber chassis on the Porsche race cars and street cars.:beer
but did anyone ever say, " let me reduce the weight off my fat asss?";LOL
I am honest to admit that I cannot depend on weight reduction of vehicle, but I have about 50 extra pounds on my belly and ass, so meal replacement can sure help, post workouts.:boogie

okay, I got my supplies from UPS today. However I am so tired, I will tackle on this project on a nice warm day. prefer temps 60 or higher.
here are some pics.

My first hand experience is, wear gloves and a respirator when working with CF or fiberglass, b/c it easily break apart into thin strands which can ruin your lungs if inhaled and itch your skin.:eyerole

My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 189 of 191 by NY - MySpace Photos
Silmar 249
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 190 of 191 by NY - MySpace Photos
surface wax
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 191 of 191 by NY - MySpace Photos

*reminds me of when I was painting Jimmy Hendrix acrylic painting*
patience and details, got it done, NO rushing to get it done...
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 40 of 192 by NY - MySpace Photos

Carbon Fiber door panels

I prepped the surface, the tint coat was good. Although 4 oz of resin wasted.
Okay the carbon graphite was pulled, stretched to make sure it fits right.
I must say, first time is just a learning skill.
Now it is drying.
the weather is a bit windy now, and the door panel is underneath the Vette to dry. after it is dry, apply more coat of resin, and dry and then artistically trim excess off.
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 196 of 198 by NY - MySpace Photos
This will not be the best, but I guess that is why we call learning skill.
I will get it down to the science.
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 198 of 198 by NY - MySpace Photos
I am sooo exhausted between work, this and all else, I am gonna take a naaaaaaaap.
* some more pics ***
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 195 of 198 by NY - MySpace Photos
fender hash CF (vinyl)
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 197 of 198 by NY - MySpace Photos

YES! I agree the chrome door speaker grill would defintely look awesome.
The top half of the panel in black CF.
the bottopm half w/ red carpet (GM factory red) and the speaker cover in chrome.
:)
who did your window and door switches chrome? how much did they charge?
Now that leaves us w/ the door sill.
The door sill red w/ black weave? let me imagine it or if not pencil it in, color it and see how it looks.
what is your opinion on console cover? just plain red?

have you seen in Mid Americas catalogue the finish line collection upholstery?
I do like it. Do you think that by having a finish line collection console cover would be off the line. (mismatched from all else)?

The panels look GREAT so far!!! VERY inspiring!:thumb

As for my chrome window switches and door lockrod covers.....I just delved into the GM parts bin. Even pepboys sells the them...plastic chrome. I need to upload some pics but I also found brushed aluminium radio knobs I also used as a matching headlight switch . They have a nice checkered edge (that matches my Beretta Billenium which also used Carbon Fiber :cool) that fit the stock radio as well as my Audiovox and are available at radio shack of all places!:ugh

I can go either way on the console cover. Mine has the padded silver leather I added to go with the medium gray interior. Normally I'm not a big fan of matching console color to the seats since it then looks like more like a "bench seat". Black carbon fiber would be nice :chuckle
I have seen the MidAmerica finish line series and think you could do better.
Any interior shop will make you custom covers. And they can do it in REAL Carbon fiber if you so choose! I've been considering this myself, if I stop spending on other stuff:ugh
Imagine some higher grade red leather bolsters with carbon fiber inserts? :blah

Yes, I agree the console cover to be different.(CF)
The door panel speaker to be covered by very light chromey grill cover.
The seats, I know, but to pay people to do CF work, they charge as if a commssioned artist. I was told that CF door panels would cost me $3,000.00----this made me soooo mad, I took on the challenge.
Remember I am an artist. I paint fine fence lines in my paintings.

The seats, I like how they done in my Mercedes S430. However I would prefer the s550 type, w/ red colored stitches on black. SHARP looking.

Right now I am sooooo tired. between gym, building muscles, reducing fat around belly area,
working. Trying to catch up with my paintings and art work. Trying to finish my fuel tank, lines, NOS, gauges and cleaning wheel housing, resanding and repainting and applying some POR 15 on front of chassis.

I am gonna take a break for a short period.

in meanwhile, I am gonna focus on ordering my custom GREEN NOS pressure digital gauge. and other petty items.

I am removing the passenger dash pad (NON Functional passenger safety restraint). Looks retarded.:eek:hnoes
I am placing 3 gauges on a panel.
Transmission temperature gauge (green digital)*Cyberdyne*
Air Fuel ratio gauge (red/green)* Cyberdyne
Nitrous oxide pressure gauge (custom made green lens and Nitrous label removed by Dakota Digital)*no one will know that car is NOS armed:)
hopefully in 2 weeks, I will have NOS in place, Accel nitrous controller w/ keypad mounted *somewhere professional looking and hidden.
thanks for your input, and everyone elses
I am gonna return back to bed.:rotfl

okay, so today I examined the door panel to see if resin dry.
well, I trimmed off on edges with a sharp blade.
I also have to rebuild the door panel inserts.
I know the insert has some cracks which require some putty.
I also need new bulbs.
and probably the insert may need to be sanded and repainted.
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 205 of 207 by NY - MySpace Photos

The door handle will be factory GM red.
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 204 of 207 by NY - MySpace Photos

The stock door panel carpet will be mounted, and a chrome speaker cover will be mounted over door speakers.

In addition, I am also adding a link to the dash trim in CF and also the new gauages.
1-N2Ox10, 2- air/fuel ratio bar graph 3-trans temperature
They will be green numbers with a black back.
except for air fuel is in red, yellow and semi green.
I found a Pioneer GM direct fit replacement AM/FM Cd player radio DEH-P47DH
here is a sketch:
My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 207 of 207 by NY - MySpace Photos

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom