Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Computer Issues 1992 Corvette

junkyardjohn

Corvette
2010 grand sport covert. blue
Hi Everyone. I have a 1992 Corvette and over the past month or so the "Service ARS Soon" light began to turn on. A few days later it came on again with the "Check Engine" light and the "Security" light also. The speedometer display will also not work when these lights come on. Its happening now everytime I drive the car more than 2 miles. If I punch the gas and the car needs to switch gears quickly- it will "jerk" and then the lights will come on. The last time I drove it the car also began to stall (I put dry gas in the tank just incase it was bad gas--but not 100% sure that was the problem or if its all connected with the computer). My mechanic ordered a new computer for the car, and told me the old one was not bolted down when I brought the car in (possibly screwing up the computer). Has anyone out there had similar issues with their vette's? Im hoping the computer will fix this...any advice?

I moved this to the C4 forum for you.

Welcome aboard

Not sure about your problem but I noticed you are from Goshen; assume that is Indiana? Not even sure if I every welcomed you but if not :welcome as well.

-Bill

I had the exact same problem with my 92. I spent weeks chasing wiring and trying to find the problem. I finally replaced the computer and it was fine after that.

Hi Everyone. I have a 1992 Corvette and over the past month or so the "Service ARS Soon" light began to turn on. A few days later it came on again with the "Check Engine" light and the "Security" light also. The speedometer display will also not work when these lights come on. Its happening now everytime I drive the car more than 2 miles. If I punch the gas and the car needs to switch gears quickly- it will "jerk" and then the lights will come on. The last time I drove it the car also began to stall (I put dry gas in the tank just incase it was bad gas--but not 100% sure that was the problem or if its all connected with the computer). My mechanic ordered a new computer for the car, and told me the old one was not bolted down when I brought the car in (possibly screwing up the computer). Has anyone out there had similar issues with their vette's? Im hoping the computer will fix this...any advice?

He wants to replace the computer, because it's POSSIBLY screwed up?

If SES light, and ASR light, and Security lights are working, it's probably because the computer did it's job, and stored codes for errors in some of the circuits.

Stick a paper clip in the ALDL, get the codes, and post them up here. Probably be a little less than a new computer and bad mechanic.

Do you have FSM?

WIth multiple codes, in different modules as well, deference will be to 1 problem; betcha'.

Not usually good to let problems go unchecked for 'a month or so'.

==============================================================
I had it posted here somewhere; outside link here for diagnostic sequence

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom