Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Confirmed C4 Guy tries C5

T

tlong

A co-worker just let me drive his 2004 vert. 100 miles since born in Bowling Green. I have never driven a C5 before a few minutes ago.

The comparisons have been made here, and they are accurate except for one thing...my '96 would kill that thing accelerating. That was very surprising. It was an auto like mine. When she kicked down it turned into a Buick Lesabre. The exhaust note was poor.

You enter the vehicle in a regular fashion, not like my cherished F-16 style. The HUD is awesome. The seats suck. The stereo was Bose and just didn't make it either.

Love the trunk. The ride is very civilized, almost cushy like a Caddy. The brakes are spectacular. The front visibility is better as the engine is tucked under the dash. The hood felt flimsey compared to the awesome clam shell. The gas door on the side is a minus to me.

He shelled out $55,000 fo it. It is vey pretty. Mine is harsh, loud and much faster, and better looking for $40,000 less. I think my paint was better too. I love my 'old' model more now.

Tim

I tend to agree on a lot of your points. The car feels very big, and I didn't like the rubber membrane that covers the window buttons. The interior surfaces seem a little flimsy, and have an unpleasant oily sheen. The power and acceleration are awesome, and the car is very quiet, and the handling is good too, but it somehow feels less like a sports car than my 89. I'll need a new corvette eventually, and the c6 sure looks like a fantastic car compared to its predecessor, so my next one won't be a C5.

I expected more neck snapping horrifying power. It was watered down to me. I can stay scared in mine. Kinda show-no go.

I thought about selling my LT-4 and buying a C-5 until I drove a friends '02 6-speed. I still have my LT-4. Maybe a Z06 would change my mind.

You were putting the pedal to the metal with only 100 miles on it???

Not too sure that qualifies for a "break in" man!

craig0ry said:
You were putting the pedal to the metal with only 100 miles on it???

Not too sure that qualifies for a "break in" man!
Yea seriously that could be one of the reasons the car didnt have that much get up and go. Im pretty sure the LS1 is putting out more HP than your LT1. If you had the LT4 then thats a different story because it should be very similar.

-Andy

The acceleration factor is but one comparison. I asked before hitting it and got the thumb up. The A4/LT-1 kicks down with about a 1/2 inch on the pedal. His stayed in 3rd much longer, and when it did go it just didn't sound or feel angry. I am sure the hp is more, but the sotp didn't feel as good.

The car is absolutely far superior in ride, as the convertible is much stiffer and smoother than my coupe with the top in. The entire experience is insulated from the drive train and suspension. It was great to drive, especially comparing it to my '63 vert and 41 years of refinement. I think the C-4 captures the sports car experience better.

With the air induction and exhaust on my ride along with some other tweaks it's a bit more than stock 300 horses. The throttle response is better than his. Even sitting still revving a little. But maybe it just needs to break in and loosen up.

Damn fine automobile and the last C-5. I was proud of him for jumping in!

Just wondering, does your 96 have the performance axle, and did the 2004 have a perf. axle? If yours does, and the 04 didn't, there would be a pronounced lack of percieved acceleration on the 04. 50 extra HP and about 50 more lbs of Tq in the o4 should feel a little stronger than what you described. I think the C5 chassis is so much better refined that not only does it soak up the road better than the C4, but on hard acceleration, it seems to also reduce the feel of the hard acceleration. Side by side acceleration between the two cars will probably reveal a quicker acceleration factor for the 04 than can be felt driving the two.
I also like the C4 design, but after driving the C5, I convinced myself that it was really a well designed Corvette, then I drove the Z06, and was convinced I had to have one.:D Of course comparing the Z06 with the standard LT1 engined cars and even the LT4 cars isn't a fair comparison. It needs to be compared or driven against the 93 and up ZR1 to make things even. Love those ZR1 LT5 engines, still a remarkable engine 15 years later.

vettepilot

Sometimes the sound of the car can have an affect on perceived acceleration. In other words, if it's louder it usually feels faster. I know that my 94 LT1 is no match for a C5, but it sure sounds good! I have to agree that the C4 feels a bit more like a sports car too. When I climb in, I feel like I am part of the car. There's nothing like that intimate feeling of a C4 interior.

tlong said:
He shelled out $55,000 fo it. It is vey pretty. Mine is harsh, loud and much faster, and better looking for $40,000 less. I think my paint was better too. I love my 'old' model more now.
Tim
I'm sure your car is more harsh, louder and of course faster. And your paint job is breath taking. Get in your C4 and leave town.

Remo:cool

"can't we all just get along?" ;)

regardless of the year, it's still a Vette! I'd rather drive any Vette than most of the other garbage I see on the road.

- there should be a rule against threads like this

</opinion>

Will

Hey Remo, we're all in the same club. Leaving town won't change my evaluation. No flame against C5. They are great cars. It's just that I was surprised to be in the same ballpark on performance as it is assumed the LS-1 is so advanced and more powerful. They're both just 350 truck motors.

No offense there C5r. They are very different only the same, ya know?

As far as rules against opinions and observations, hope not. That's the reason for this web site! The test ride just calmed a little C5 envy and I got excited. I still get pumped every time I crank it up, and love any American performance car no matter what kind or year or model. I like vettes the best. And a rough, loud, rowdy vette is my preference.

I agree that the stock C5 exhaust is pretty tame. Remember when they didn't even put tips on? I can't believe that GM would ship a $40,000+ car without tips on the exhaust pipes!:L

my 2 cents.
My brother-in-law has a 2002.
It is definately a fast car, however my car IS faster off the line for about an 1/8mi, giving the perception of greater low-end torque

Trying the C5

I have driven the C5 and I feel that it is a remarkable car, but I find that when Im seated in the car, it just does not make me feel like im in a sports car. I feel very loose in the cockpit and miss the hug of my C4. I too agree that there are not that many minuses when the C5 is compared to the C4, but the raw feel of the C4 is very gratifing. Plus with my car having the Z07 option, its one car that I will drive and keep for a long time no matter what other generation I happen to buy.

I wish I'd said it like in the first place. You are right on the money.:_rock

tlong said:
I wish I'd said it like in the first place. You are right on the money.:_rock
.......It does sound better this way :L ......I tried a 2001 convertible automatic(among others) and it felt "different" compared to my 92 LT1.......I would never shoot the c5 down,it's a great car and I would love to own one but I decided to keep mine.I have to admit that the fact that the c6 was due to be relesed in the near futur had something to do with my decision to hold on to my 92............tlong....comparing the c5 to a c4 is not something I would attempt......just the trunk space in the c5 is priceless to me:Steer ....I can't wait to get my paws on a 400hp c6..

I test drove 3 2000 verts before finding my 92 coupe. When driving the C5's I feel like I'm sitting on top off the car were as in the c4 I feel part of it. The ride quality was much better in the c5 but I don't think it made up for the feel. just my 02 cents.......

I was looking to add an additional vette into my stable for the past couple of years. I wanted either a ZR1 or a Z06 leaning more towards a ZR1. I have always preferred the looks of the C4's over the C5's. Everyone says that you tend to prefer the cars that you admired in high school, and that holds true for me. I loved the C4's in high school, and my goal was to have a ZR1 later in life.

To make a long story short, I had a ZR1 deal fall through, and happened to run across a CE LT4. After driving it, I bought it, and haven'g regretted it since. I've only had it for about a month, but I have loved every minute of it. Having driven all the cars mentioned above, I think it all falls back on what you want. I wanted a car for pure fun. Therefore, I couldn't justify the price of a new or older Z06. I wouldn't have any more enjoyment out of a new Z06 than my LT4. Plus, I saved 30K buying the LT4. This was a no brainer for me. My LT4 looks and drives brand new, and it still gets plenty of admirers when I drive it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom