Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

confused about offset and wheels that came on my 87

tonyponykay

Corvette
1980 maroon, 1987 vert yellow/black "bumblebee"
hello,

bought my 87 convertible couple weeks ago, been hearing a squeaking sound off and on, usually on bumps... finally determined that the outside edge of the front wheels are rubbing on the wheel well.. :confused:confused

anyway, been reading about offset and backspacing, think I have it figured out.

Tried to look up these black mesh Riken wheels the previous owner had on there to determine what the heck the offset is or whatever. Can't find these Riken 16inch wheels anywhere for vettes, found lots of them for rice burners.

So, I ordered new front shocks, already replaced the rears. The rears don't rub, but I am hoping the new shocks will fix the rubbing, however, I have a feeling that these Riken wheels are the culprit and I may have to buy some stock 87 rims. Its a shame cause my vertible is yellow with black top and the wheels are black mesh, which has led to our naming the car "Bumblebee" ...

Anybody have an insight on this matter? I doubt there's a way to fix the wrong offset? I"m thinking the wheels have too much positive offset and therefore, an adapter probably won't work? or will it? what kind of adapter?

Thanks for all the help. This is a wonderful site that has helped me enormously.

Tk:W:W:W

IF the wheel has too much offset ; as in it sits too far in as your case appears to be ,you can space it further out using adapters. If other way around can do nothing.

Something like these 3/4" units ; available in different widths.
Corvette Wheel Adapter Set, 16" To 17", 1984-1988

If only needing a small amount ;1/4 or less ,can use spacers like these
12mm WHEELS SPACERS ALL CHEVY CAMARO - WIDE BODY LOOK!:eBay Motors (item 120457222169 end time Sep-07-09 18:06:43 PDT)

Take the wheel off and measure from backside of rim to face where it bolts on.That is your backspacing.
Stock '87 9.5" wide rim had 6.7" backspacing

too far out I think

the outside of the front tires are rubbing on the edge of the wheel well, near the outside edge really, just on the outside edge of wheel well material,, (black). So, as you said, I think the backspacing is too much on these Rikens?

I'll see if the new shocks do anything but the car only has 78,000ish miles on it and I don't know if the KYBs that are on there were the original shocks or not.

thanks for your reply,

tk :W :bash

the outside of the front tires are rubbing on the edge of the wheel well, ..... I think the backspacing is too much on these Rikens?,

If the outside is rubbing that would indicate NOT enough offset /backspacing; the wheel is placed further out than stock so the outside is traveling in a larger arc hitting the wheel well.
Measure the backspacing and let us know.

I don't know if the KYBs that are on there were the original shocks or not.

KYB were not stock ; either Delco or Bilstein dependent apon suspension option

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom