Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Connecting BBK TB to the air duct

J

JayD

I installed a 52mm BBK Throttle body a few weeks ago and had a hell of a time squeezing the old air duct over the bigger throttle body. Today I notice that two of the air duct ribs have tears in them, I was wondering how everybody else got the air duct on without damaging it, so I don't break the new one.

On my '90 I did away with the stock air duct. Of course my car doesn't have a MAF, I've got a K&N oval/cone filter right on the end of the TB. Sorry I couldn't help.

:w

Grease both the outside of the TB and the inside of the air duct, stick a 200W light bulb (alot of heat) for about 5 of 10 min. indide the air duct and it will slide right on. I just did it today, works like a charm.

I have the same 52 mm on my 95. No problems with it, just use a little heat to make it soft, and it fit easily.

I have one on my 85, but I have the smooth tube I purchased from Mid America and had no problems

Just one more reason to avoid the BBK TB.

super-coupler

tlbod_conn001.jpg

this exotic piece is a bit larger than the stock t-bod and the aftermarket t-bods...as you tighten the clamps this coupler easily ''assumes the position''

from a technical point of view, ''static regain'' should occur due to expansion of cross-sectional area in this, resulting in ''ram air '' and major (?) HP gains. ;)

as this coupler is only abt 4'' long, you may also need a similar ''straight'' coupler and some light wall metal tubing to ''bridge the gap'' :ugh

suppliers -- supercoupler from plumbing dept at homie depot, they call it a 4''x3'' flexible sewer pipe connector, abt $10, clamps included...straight coupler is a 3''x3'' flexible sewer pipe connector from the same place, abt $5 with clamps...light wall metal tubing from the grocery store, comes with 18.6 oz of campbell's chunky soup inside (cost breakdown varies if you eat the can contents), or a plastic coffee mug can be used :D

What year is your C4?

Notice the guys with 95s have no problem. I have a 95 and the stock duct fits over my 58 mm TB however, my buddy had a 92 and no dice on getting his duct over the 58mm BBK

Here's a pict of stock 95 air duty on a 58mm sorry about the artifacts in the pic it was about 15 degrees when I tried the test fit.

DSC00842.jpg

Next pict was taken much later. Notice the water I was washing my engine. (never had opti problems with my 95);LOL
DSC00018.jpg

I did the same swap two weeks ago and had the same problem, I used WD40 and it went on. However I now see small cracks developing.

I called Mid America and they suggest you put the end of the tube tube in boiling water for 10 to15 seconds and this should give you the flexibility to install the tube.

Good luck,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom