Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Connector plug on wiper motor

V

vmrod

On my 1977, I have a connector plug with a pink wire that ir on the passenger side of the wiper motor. WHat is this supposed to be connected to?

Thanx Bob. The car runs, but I'm just curious.

The pink wire is part of the washer circuit. That activates in conjucntion with the washer or regular wiper function to turn the cam that allows the pump to pump.

Hope that helps!

Uhhh...no...kinda confused. My washer pump is connected to the wiring harness already. Should I have another connector from the engine compartment that plugs into the pink wire/connector?

It sounds like you are telling me that the washer pump will only operate once the wipers are moving via the pink wire/connector. Is this the case?

That pink wire gives the motor the burst for a quick wiper wash and shut down. It works in conjunction with the pump to properly set the park/wipe mode to complete the wash function.

Chris or Bob,
what color is the wire that plugs into the pink wire @ the wiper motor?

Where does this mystery wire go into the wiring harness?

Most likely, this wire was cut at the harness, and I'll need to locate it and splice it back to the pink wire again.

Vmrod,

There is no pink wire plugging into my wiper motor, light blue, black and yellow/white, and they are all on the driver's side of the motor.

There is a pink wire that comes out of the wiring harness at the same point these three wires come out, of a slightly heavier gauge, that goes up under the distributor shielding and then on to points unknown.

Also, I'm looking at the 1977 Electrical Troubleshooting Guide and don't see a pink wire in the Windshield Wiper/Washer circuit. In reviewing the schematics, it appears that there are pink wires from the ignition switch that goes to the fuse box if I read the schematics right. There are also pink wires that come from these two sources and to the:

Fuse box
Radio Noise capacitator (I think that is what the pink wire I am refering to is for as it goes toward the distributor and aren't these things part of the ignition circuit????)
Turn, flasher and backup lights
Power Windows
Cruise Control
Seat belt, headlight and ignition key warning
Tachometer
Parking brake light
Generator warning light

The car is hot right now so I really can't play around under there but if this is the wire you are looking at, I'll see if I can trace it further tomorrow.

Hope this helps. I'm far from knowledgable about electrical circuits but I think I can handle the color thing, no promises though:confused

Bob

Thanx for checking. I looked hard yesterday. I noticed a couple nearby wires that go to different places.....like the distributor and such.

On the driver's side of the motor, I have a 3-wire -plug and a 1-wire plug. I re-checked my shop manual (unfortunately it is a 1966-1976 manual, but it is usually pretty close). This appears to be the necessary wires needed to operate it. Chris mentioned that he thinks the pink wire hooks up in conjunction with the washer pump circuit. One of the wires on the 3-wire connector (the yellow one) is tied into that circuit, so I'm still curious.

It may be possible that this motor came from a different year vehicle. I wonder if the older model vettes (the ones with a wiper door that could open) had a limit switch that sent a signal back to the motor to let the motor know that the door was open.

If anything, I'll stick my tester in the pink-wire connector, and see if (and at what time) it becomes hot. If it does not become hot, I can always give it a quick 12V jolt and see what happens.

-Vic

My 80 sounds just like your 77. One 3 wire connector and a single wire connector (ground). No other wires on the wiper motor. You may be on the right track with the extra wire and wiper door circuit, but I have no wiring diagrams for earlier models.

Good Luck,
Steve :w

Yeah it was controlled by vacuum, but I kinda think that there was a limit switch, which either opened or closed when the wiper door was closed. This would allow a 12volt signal to enter the wiper motor and let it know not to operate, cuz the wiper door failed to open.

I am just speculating, but I did read somewhere about a wiper door limit swith. Since my car was made into a convertible, it may be possible that they took the wiper motor from the donor car too.

I was informed that the pink wire did indeed connect to a limit switch (on older vettes). Once grounded, it either allowed (or not allowed) the wiper motor to function.

Curiousity solved!!!

vmrod,

I was playing with the wipers last night (trying to get them to work) and I found the fifth wire you mentioned. According to my (80) shop manual it is for power to the wiper motor when you hit the washer switch. There is a harness coming out of the firewall about 6 inches to the right (toward the passenger side from the wiper motor) that it comes out of.

Hope this helps.

Steve :w

I'll look for it, but I doubt I have it. I have a 1977, and since it was customized, I'm sure I have a few mis-matched parts on it here and there.

I applied 12v to the pink wire on the wiper motor and nothing happened. I also tried it while it was working, and nothing happened. I never did try to ground it though.

69myway suggested that it was part of the washer circuit too. So it is either that, or has to do with the limit switch for the wiper door. Either way, it's not on a 1977, so I'm safe.

Thank you very much for the input. When I get another free moment, I'll play with it again (someday) just to see exactly what it is for.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom