Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering get rid of the Vette

I put in the 24 lb. Accel injectors and now she runs like she just left Bowling Green! The actual spec is something like 23.92 lbs. If you want even higher performance, there is a company called RC Engineering that makes injectors, but they run $80-100 a piece, which is still half the price of AC Delco!

Be careful when you look because some web sites will say that 30 lb. injectors will work on this car! I have never done this, but I understand it takes some reprogramming. Also, do not get remanufactured or refurbished injectors. Brand new ones don't cost that much more.

As far as the leak at the intake manifold... well... this is pretty expensive repair... like 4-figures expensive, most of it being labor.

But still... it is all worth it, IMHO. But then again, I am biased!
I'm planning on doing all the labor myself. I have a shop and plenty of tools. I'm more of an old school guy, but if I take it apart, I can put it back together. After all, if I can build and rear end for a top fuel dragster, how hard can it be?
The only thing I need to sort out is who to buy injectors from. I've heard FIC a couple times so I will look into that.

some web sites will say that 30 lb. injectors will work on this car! I have never done this, but I understand it takes some reprogramming.
Yes, the ECM controls 'open time' on the injectors, which are solenoid fuel valves, but only has so much 'authority' to reduce the open time. Bigger injectors are like a bigger hose and if 'open' for the same 'pulse' time as a smaller hose, the A/F ratio is wrong; too rich in this case. Changing fuel pressure has a similar effect. Injector size is tied to HP, indicated in a table I used.

Another thing to get used to for 'old schoolers' is the shift to electric control of EVERYTHING. This means connections need to be secure and w/o corrosion, plus it means a decent DVOM is essential.

The only thing I need to sort out is who to buy injectors from. I've heard FIC a couple times so I will look into that.
I run FMS injectors from a place in CT... so far so good.:w

Anyone have a link to FIC? I think I'm going with the 22lb injectors. I saw some GM injectors on ebay for $225 and Standard brand for $185.These are both brand new parts.

You'll be sorry, so don't do it. Fing a good Corvette tech (I'm lucky as I have a 'Corvette only' shop about 45 miles from me) But I have made WAAAY too many automotive mistakes in the past. I own one of the nicest C5's I've ever seen and I don't care what happens, I'm not parting with it. I wrote to CorvetteFever about the current state of thing in our hobby, and they printed my letter, April 2010,page 6 which sums up my feelings about our beloved hobby. But If I were you, I'd just spend the small amount and have the injector problem sorted out and go on with your beautiful Corvette. I'm sure you have collector insurance so it doesn't cast all that much to simply keep your pride and joy. The back roads of South Carolina are magnificent, as is the whole State, I love SC, spent a few years there and for a 'yankee' I was treated like family and loved the place. nothing like southern hospitality ! :w

I agree. Keep her.
Hey Killain- I'll be moving down to SC from Jersey in about a month and a half and I can't wait to get down there.:thumb

I guess I need to sell mine then because I have not started it in 18 months.

I hope you put in some gas stabilizer 18 months ago or drained the tank! I did neither of those things when I let mine sit for over 2 years (life has a funny way of dictating where you money goes sometimes) and I ended up with about 15 gallons of varnish! I eventually got it all out and purged the fuel system, but it wasn't a pretty picture!

Considering getting rid of C-4

I've had the same thoughts. My son has a great "71" Vette that seems to run as strong as my L-98. No computers, just the basics when something goes wrong that needs fixed. I've had my "91" for two years and it has only 33k miles. It has been babied since new (i'm the second owner) and yet I've paid mucho bucks for repairs including ABS computer, fly wheel replaced, and now re-doing fuel injector system after having the car towed from the side of the highway. And of course the CD player has never worked, the alarm system and many other small electrical problems. I sometime wonder how we stay so loyal to the Corvette hobby when the builders seem not to care about us buyers.

I sometime wonder how we stay so loyal to the Corvette hobby when the builders seem not to care about us buyers.
Well the one thing I can say for sure is that they don't build them like they used to! Its not like they are still building the 1991 C4 any more! And here's a news flash.... your car is nearly 20 years old. You didn't really think it was going to get cheaper to own, did you?

Since many of us have experienced the same issues, I think we may have discovered some of the "weak links" in the manufacturing chain, but I don't think Government Motors is going to issue a recall on a 1991! And some parts just wear out over time and mileage has little to do with it.

I bought my 1991 C4 in 1999. It was about $25,000 less than a 1999 model and about half the price of what it was when it was new. It was what I was willing to spend. I was 42 years old and having ...you guess it... a mid-life crisis and I had to have it!

In the past 11 years I have also replaced many of the "typical" things you speak of. Including tires, I think I have probably spent somewhere around $6,000.00. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. I don't save every receipt.

Yeah, it hurts to see the ol' gal get pulled onto a flatbed on the side of the interstate with Mustangs and Chargers waving at you and giving you the Nelson Muntz "Ha Ha" laugh. And it hurts even more when the service writer tells you that the repair will run into 4 figures.

I am pretty much down to cosmetics now, I hope! I need to replace all of the weatherstripping and carpeting. I am also going to be replacing the Bose sound system one of these days soon. So there's another $2,000.00 I won't get to spend on food or the mortgage.

Yes, the Corvette has been somewhat of a money pit at times, but when I get on the highway and a punch the accelerator, unleashing those 250 horses and it pushes me back in the seat, I just say, "Yeah baby, this is what its all about!"

Its still a blast to drive and I don't regret a single minute.

And as unpopular as this is to say, if you are not willing to spend the money or can't afford it (which is none of my business), then maybe you should just cut your losses and sell it. I am still pretty new here (but not necessarily to Corvettes), but I don't think you are going to get a lot of sympathy complaining about how expensive it is to own one... but I could be wrong.

I had a 77.. 89 .... and 99,all modded and paid off. Sold them all and regret it still. So i picked up another 89 2 1/2 drop on 19 deep dish rims, i'll mod the motor and then get another c5 and start the collection over again.

Just looking at the FIC site. They have stock bocsh 3 injectors for $169.99 and some they call Blue Pearl for $229. Just wondering if the extra $60 would be worth it?

Anyone have a link to FIC? I think I'm going with the 22lb injectors. I saw some GM injectors on ebay for $225 and Standard brand for $185.These are both brand new parts.

The Standard Motor Products injectors are great. They also fit the clips properly and look like the OEM injectors. No ugly yellow injectors that are too short. They are 21.6 lbs which is stock for the 1990 car. Part # is FJ47 IIRC.

In the past 11 years I have also replaced many of the "typical" things you speak of. Including tires, I think I have probably spent somewhere around $6,000.00. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. I don't save every receipt.

And as unpopular as this is to say, if you are not willing to spend the money or can't afford it (which is none of my business), then maybe you should just cut your losses and sell it. I am still pretty new here (but not necessarily to Corvettes), but I don't think you are going to get a lot of sympathy complaining about how expensive it is to own one... but I could be wrong.

Wise words there.

If you think $6k is a lot to be into a C4, I won't even mention how much I have spent on my 1991. I got mine with 32k miles on it in 2003 and it now has 56k miles. Even with the low mileage, it has not be trouble-free. But my 1991 has been a great, fun car to own and drive. She is beautiful and always puts a smile on my face. I just let go of the worry about spending $$ on her. I know I will have to because she is not new nor does she have a warranty. It's just a fact of life and part of the hobby. If I want a car I won't have to put money into fixing, then I would go and spend the $55k on a new C6. Even with all the $$ I put in my C4, it's nowhere near the price of a new Corvette yet still gives me a lot of satisfaction to own and drive.

Would I get rid of her? Sure. But only for a newer Corvette, which I'm sure I will end up putting money into. So happy Corvette driving to you all. :D

No, I traded the Vette for a 70 Z/28. Its a non matching number car, buts thats ok. I already have put a new engine in it, 400 small block with LT1 heads. Its a beast for sure. I miss the Vette sometimes, but not the fustration of working on it. The Z is a pretty nice car and holds a good value comparared the to 90 Corvette. I willl get another Vette someday, but a newer model.
So, now I have two Camaro's to work on. A basket case 69 396 4 speed and the 70 Z/28. The 69 is a huge money pit but will be worth it one day I hope!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom