Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Control Arm bracket weld broke!!!

I

igasper10

I found out why my 74's alignment was so far out of wack... the bracket from the control arm thats welded to the frame crossmember has peeled back! Has this happened to anyone else restoring a Vette??? Does it require much to fix??? Finally would this be a "light" weld, or a "heavy" weld job? The guy that has done my major repairs only has a light welder, that's why I ask. Any thoughts???

ian - ;help

Ian,
it is a fairly common to see the lower brackets break. mine came completely off but was held in place by the washers on the through bolts. as far as welding, it is a fairly light job. remember to clean the weld area very good and some preheating with lower amperage welding should fix the problem. i went the extra mile and put some corner braces in as well as welding every side and hole i could. Brian

Mine broke on the right side on my 80. ( mine also came completely off but was held in place by the washers on the through bolts) Had a 1/2" fillit welded in to keep it there. I found it during an oil change during the normal look around & grease job. I suggest everyone take a look on their car to be safe.

The right side on my 77 is torn off the cross member
and I'm still trying to get it fixed. I've gotten conflicting stories from people, some say the motors got to come out and some say it doesn't. Anyway, if anyone knows the correct procedure to re-weld new brackets onto the crossmember I would be grateful for any info you can tell us. IBAD80 how did you go about repairing yours, mine is in the same boat as yours was? My car is totally undriveable as the right wheel is turned almost completely to the right and left one is facing left. I am going to replace both sides at the same time just to play it safe. The crossmember looks solid, it's the bracket itself that is torn apart.

Larry,
i would find someone that is good with a welder, or get in touch with a metal fab shop. they will get the job done right. the motor does not have to come out to weld it in place. it would be nice if the radiator shroud was removed and the car was a couple of feet up on jack stands. most of the welding can be done from the bottom, just use the old welds as a guide for propper placement of the bracket and have the area clean and grease free. removing the lower a-arm would be great, then you can plug weld the holes in the bracket as well as the sides. i put some corner braces in mine from the single rear hole to the frame as added strength. be carefull if you remove the lower a-arm, it is loaded with spring pressure from your coil-overs!!!!!!!!!!!! it can be very dangerous to be under that a-arm, so please be carefull. Brian

Also make sure the engine and frame is jacked up to keep it aligned. Check around at a good speed shop or race track.

I am in the process of fixing my c3 front cross member. I am in need of a way to position the lower a arm bracket in the correct position. I cant use the two holes in the front of the boxed area as they were ripped out prior and a new piece needed to be welded in. I have looked for a body repair guide to find dimintions. Can any one help me?
I had to replace the bottom of the crossmember so i have no weld marks to go by. The other side was ok and all three boltholes line up does anyone have any sugestion how to find the lower control arm reference points
Thanks

Welcome to CAC!!!
your best bet would be
A) Get an AIM-Assembly Instruction Manual for your year corvette
or B) check with your local NCRS Chapter or corvette club to see if there any C-3 corvettes you could look at for reference.
good Luck

Do you have a frame repair shop close by? They can get your car set up on a frame table and get everything positioned exactly where it needs to be according to specifications before welding the tab back on. Then they can do a wheel alignment before you pick it up and drive it home. BTW the AIM will not show where the tab needs to be located as the frame is supplied to the assembly plant as a completed assembly with all welded on parts already installed.

Tom

I agree with Tom I was going to recommend the same thing Get it done correctly or pay for it in the end

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom