Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Control arm bushing "washers"

gedmeyer

Corvette
former L81 owner!
Does anyone know where I can find the "washers" that go over the ends of the control arm bushings? (A bolt goes through them and into the ends of the control arm pivot)

For some reason, I can't find them anywhere!

-tim

www.zip-products.com has em. They're called retainers.

upper retainers
http://www.zip-products.com/Corvett...alse&mscssid=0A2CFA052253C40FEB7F97C411BCB41A

lower retainers
http://www.zip-products.com/Corvett...alse&mscssid=0A2CFA052253C40FEB7F97C411BCB41A

**EDIT** If using Polyurethane CA bushings (not OE Rubber) do ensure the CA shafts' female threads & retainer bolts' threads are Extra Clean (absolutely NO bushing assembly grease allowed in retaining threads) ... and DO use Loctite in retaining threads. Cleanliness & Loctite not critical if using rubber bushings.

JACK:gap

If you haven't bought them yet I have some spare I can send you, just e-mail me.

donald

Jack said:
**EDIT** If using Polyurethane CA bushings (not OE Rubber) do ensure the CA shafts' female threads & retainer bolts' threads are Extra Clean (absolutely NO bushing assembly grease allowed in retaining threads) ... and DO use Loctite in retaining threads. Cleanliness & Loctite not critical if using rubber bushings.

Jack,
I haven't heard this before. Is the bolts more likely to loosen when used with the poly bushings? I just assembled mine without loctite (but still have a-arms off car), maybe I should fix this?

Johan said:
Jack,
I haven't heard this before. Is the bolts more likely to loosen when used with the poly bushings? I just assembled mine without loctite (but still have a-arms off car), maybe I should fix this?
YES ... bolts are more likely to loosen with poly. The poly bushing is neither bonded to outer shell nor inner sleeve ... they are lubed with a very slimey but necessary grease ... the bushing / sleeve will turn a bit as CA articulates ... the poly setup is designed to turn in this way. However, with no bond ... and if the retainer bolt & washer fell away ... the poly bushing insert can easily pop right out of the CA ... and ruin your day. Use extra clean threads & Loctite with poly.

OE type rubber CA bushing is a bonded unit ... both inner sleeve & outer shell are bonded to the rubber insert. If the OE bushings' bonds are reasonably intact and the shell is firmly pressed into CA ... the retainer might fall off but the rubber bushing will stay in place.
JACK:gap

I had my front end "professionally" replaced last spring at a performance shop. The replacement was with Poly bushings. The lock washers were not replaced nor was loctite used on the threads. Before I knew I had a serious problem, The Driverside upper control arm bolt's nut loosened and came off, then the retainer, then the front bushing spit out , causing the wheel to flop. I was lucky and found the problem before any destruction to the wheel assy. happened.
Jack is absolutely correct, with what he's saying and I have of course replaced every lock Washer and nut and used loctite on all the bolt threads for upper and lower control arm assy's.
Hope this helps..
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom