Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible cover rubs the top

B

born2saw

Hi all,

I'm a new C5 owner & I have a question. On my 2000 convertible the cover rubs ever so slightly on the fabric that protects the glass. I can see a slight wearing of the paint (where the bottom of the cover meets the top of the waterfall) and a little of the paint color on the fabric. Is this normal? Is there a way to adjust the top so this does not rub?

All replies are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Bruce

I don't know about an adjustment...

I get the top out of the way a little bit by pushing it in the middle when lowering and raising the convertible top.

Later - D

Normal...like 6 shooter said just hold the glass fabric forward when raising and lowering the deck lid.

Mine's a '98 and I don't have that problem either.

However, when the top is up it squeaks something terrible. Can I lube it or WD-40 it, and if so where do I start?

I wread a column writen by C4C5 on a differant board where he writes about the need for adjusting the frame of the top. Aperently the fabrick streches and the whole thing should be adjusted or realined from time to time. Something for a mechanic to perform, aperently not very easy. Maybe he will read this and share his knowelage with us again.
:lou

I fixed the squeaking top - I knew I was going to take a drive to Oakland on Saturday and couldn't face 3 hrs. of squeaking there and 3 hrs. back, so I put the top in the half open/half closed position, hit every screw and connection I could find with some sewing machine oil, and voila - no more squeaks!

I fixed the squeaking top - I knew I was going to take a drive to Oakland on Saturday and couldn't face 3 hrs. of squeaking there and 3 hrs. back, so I put the top in the half open/half closed position, hit every screw and connection I could find with some sewing machine oil, and voila - no more squeaks!

Thanks for that tip, I have been hearing that same problem on occasion and will try that.

The neat thing about getting older is that the squeaks will not be heard after awile.

My convertibe top has rubbed the paint (behind the driver) GM said they used thicker rubber seal from 2001 forward. It's not getting any worse, but the daamage is done. They wouldn't cover it under GMPP. Note to born2saw, we have "twins
2000 vert.jpg

My convertibe top has rubbed the paint (behind the driver) GM said they used thicker rubber seal from 2001 forward. It's not getting any worse, but the daamage is done. They wouldn't cover it under GMPP.

Guess you should've gone for the TORCH Red! ;) :D

edit, just saw your "Sierra Foothills" location! :w

Note to born2saw, we have "twins
2000%20vert.jpg

Very nice looking convertible (except I do not have the body side molding).

I found that if I press on the bottom of the glass, it will not rub. Thanks for the sugggestion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom