Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible Rear Window Seal Broken

ddick9366

Corvette
'94 Polo Green Convertible
I must have inadvertantly broken the corner seal on my C4 convertible heated glass rear window when I recently folded the top down for winter cleaning. When I closed the top and latched everything, I noticed the corner of the rear window seal is unsealed along the apparent rubberized surface. Does anyone have experience with a convertible rear window seal braking lose? Can it be resealed? How should this be done? Any special materials or tools required?

Thanks to anyone willing to advise on this matter.

When I had my 1994 'vert, the rear window began breaking loose from the seal at the lower driver's side corner and up one side about 4 inches. I took it to a fella that replaces tops and interiors, and he suggested I try some Superglue on it before we replaced the top. According to what he told me, that was my only two options. He said that once they let go, they couldn't be resealed and top replacement was the only route.

I went to the drug store and bought a couple of tubes, and he helped me with it. The trick was putting pressure on both sides of the glass and top (interior and exterior) while the glue had time to set.

We were careful not to smear any on the glass or top, and when finished it looked good and held for another year. This bought me some time to set aside some funds for a new top.

Now - this was about 5 years ago, and maybe a shop in your area has a tool to repair it. I'd at least check. But if they start talking top replacement it certainly wouldn't hurt to try and repair it first. If it doesn't work, you can always go with the replacement anyway.

Look at the bright side - it could have done what my C5 rear window did last July :ugh

:cry

HPIM1197_Bad_Top_3.jpg

HPIM1201_Bad_Top_4.jpg

Convertible Blues

Let me know how it turns out for you. Good luck!!
:w Jane Ann

Convertible Rear Window Repair

Thanks for sharing your experience. I thought about doing something like you've described, but was hesitant until you shared your experience. Still feel rather embarassed about breaking the seal to begin with, but will try to reseal it with great care and hope that summer heat doesn't damage the repair.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom