Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Convertible top scarring

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

SGF

Corvette
2011 Jeststream Blue Grand Sport Convertible
Noticed several small scars on 2011 GS Conv black top. Dealer adjusted inside pieces and replaced liner. small scars remain. Is this normal? I do to shows and don't see any on other same year Vettes. GM rep was at dealer and said this was normal ware. R U Kidden me. I love rag tops, just not the ones with scars on them. Any advise appreciated.

Noticed several small scars on 2011 GS Conv black top. Dealer adjusted inside pieces and replaced liner. small scars remain. Is this normal? I do to shows and don't see any on other same year Vettes. GM rep was at dealer and said this was normal ware. R U Kidden me. I love rag tops, just not the ones with scars on them. Any advise appreciated.

Do you rotate and seat the latch handle before the top totally retracts? I've seated it everytime since new and I don't have any scars! Also, I treat my top with C-Magic Convertible Top Product.

Last edited:

Hi SGF,
I can run your VIN to see if there are any open service related issues to your concern. Private message me your VIN and I will have a look. Thanks,
Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

convertible top

Hi SGF,
I can run your VIN to see if there are any open service related issues to your concern. Private message me your VIN and I will have a look. Thanks,
Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

thanks all.

i did take it to dealer and appealed to GM customer care. they simply checked back with dealer and on site GM Rep and said it was normal wear. no one else seems to have this issue. i use topcleaner from NCM to maintain top. any assistance cappreciated. woul rather not send Vin online.

thanks all.

i did take it to dealer and appealed to GM customer care. they simply checked back with dealer and on site GM Rep and said it was normal wear. no one else seems to have this issue. i use topcleaner from NCM to maintain top. any assistance cappreciated. woul rather not send Vin online.

Hey SGF,

No worries, I understand! If there is anything I can do I will. I am going to see if I can find anything in my internal resources for you. Keep us posted.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Cloth rubbing on cloth will scare or show ware.

I have a 99 that did the same thing. I put towels down to eliminate the ware or slow it down where the top folds on to itself. Then a small line showed up. I looked for the source of the line and I found that there was a screw that was holding the side window rear moulding to the top that has a shape point that caused this problem from the inside of the top. On both sides of the car. When you see this line it is to late the hole is in the top. The only way to eliminate the hole is to grind the point to the screw flush. I put on a new top, fixed the screws and have not seen signs of the hole again.

FYI. I am not sure that this is a problem on later models?

Hi there,

What I usually tell my convertible customer is to place white terry cloth towels between the folds when lowering the top. This will reduce or sometimes eliminate the napping of the convertible top fabric.

Another way to change it is to us a small stiff plastic brush and attempt to raise the surface of the fabric. That will also raise the nap, and reduce the compression of the fabric.

But wear, any holes are NOT considered normal and should be monitored.

Allthebest, Paul

Hi there,

What I usually tell my convertible customer is to place white terry cloth towels between the folds when lowering the top. This will reduce or sometimes eliminate the napping of the convertible top fabric.

Another way to change it is to us a small stiff plastic brush and attempt to raise the surface of the fabric. That will also raise the nap, and reduce the compression of the fabric.

But wear, any holes are NOT considered normal and should be monitored.

Allthebest, Paul

So Paul, have you seen the holes from the screws I mentioned?

This is good info to know, mine is a '12 vert and so far no issues with the top. I have not really done any treatment to it other than a coat of scotch guard once.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom