Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: CONVERTIBLE TOPS

LORR1943

Corvette
1987 BRIGHT RED CONVERTABLE,RED & BLACK INTERIOR,
I,M PUTTING A NEW TOP ON MY '89 RED VERT, THAT HAS ALSO A RED INTERIOR. THE CURRENT TOP IS BLACK AND I WAS GOING TO ORDER ANOTHER BLACK ONE, BUT MY WIFE TELLS ME I SHOULD CHANGE TO TAN. I KNOW IT WOULD LOOK OK, BUT I'M NOT SURE VETTES CAME WITH TAN TOPS ON RED/RED. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OR EMAIL PICS OF RED/RED/TAN. I JUST WANT TO KEEP IT LOOKING GOOD. THANKS, LARRY.:confused;help:)

Top color

I'm sure someone will provide an answer to your question, but have you considered going with a red top if you're tired of the black?

TOPS

I LOOKED INTO A RED TOP. IT'S A SPECIAL ORDER ITEM AND COST ABOUT TWICE AS MUCH AS A STANDARD COLOR. ACTUALLY, TAN AND WHITE ARE EXTRA COST TOO, BUT ONLY ABOUT $50.

The model center here lists the soft top colors as Black, White and Saddle which is basically a tan color. So they are out there, just don't know how many.

:w
:pat

White top

For my money your red/red car would look great with a white top.

I love my black top on Red/Tan. I've had tan and white tops over the years - they all get filthy. Black doesn't, and if it fades - well a touch up with dye or shoe polish is easy, and there's no "color matching" issues.
My '89 hasn't ever faded.

Just saying.

I have a red/red 94 vert with black top. Had a 91 red/red with black top. Both tops did not fade and look great on the car. That being said, my 1956 was red/red with a white top and I absolutely loved it, but it did show the dirt. All three had red hard tops which makes the car triple red, and very sharp. A red convertible top would have to match the red color very closely or it would not, in my opinion, be attractive. I have looked at C5 convertibles, red on red, and shy away from any with tan (saddle) color tops, they just don't cut it as far as I am concerned. White or black are the best choices. My suggestion is to look at the various sites at the C5s which have a variety of red converts with black, tan, and white tops to get feeling for the color combinations (I have not seen any with a red convertible top). Also look at the 93 ruby's with their great looking ruby tops to see if the contrast is what you want. What ever you choose, the best way to drive a convertible is with the top down. Second best is with the hard top. Also, a replacement top usually does not come with an inner head liner, so your current one is probably black. I do not recommend changing it if it is good condition. Best of luck on your choice - let see pics ofyour car with your new top installed. I am sure it will be spectacular whatever your choice, black or white.
Barrett

BRUTILIZE IT!!!

I HAD AN 87 ROADSTER BLUE WITH WHITE VINYL TOP.
I SOLD THE CAR IN 2005 WITH THE SAME CHICKLET WHITE TOP.
YES 18 YEARS 80,000 MI ,I USED WHATEVER IT TOOK(SOS / SUPERCLEAN) TO MAKE THE TOP WHITE,ALSO THE CAR RARELY GOT RAINED ON AND PARKED FOR THE WINTER.

I had a tan top on a 1988 dark mettalic red Corvette. The car stayed out in the sun all day for a few years and didn't seem to have any fade. The car had the tan interior so it matched quite well.
With the red/red I would think that a white top would look very nice. :w

THANKS TONY! I WENT AHEAD AND ORDERED THE BLACK. LIKE YOU, I BELEIVE IT WILL BE EASIER TO MAINTAIN.

THANKS BARRET, I AGREE AND AS YOU SEE, I ORDERED THE BLACK.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom