Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible window fell out

T

tripperc

Anyone have the rear window on their C5 convertible top separate from the top? So far the only "repair" I have been offered is to replace the whole top to the tune of $1000. I read somewhere it was sealed using an ultra-sound (?)technique. Anyone have any suggestions??????? Thanks.

Try this site. I have heard of a few coming loose. I keep checking mine. //forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=391513

Thanks Don. I've been checking all over Raleigh and get pretty much the same answer. Replace the top. Seems like a real waste. I tried contact cement, no luck. Going to try JD Weld this week-end. Nothing to lose but time..... Thanks again.

I would tend to use an RTV or epoxy over JB Weld. I'll admit I haven't looked at how my window is, but both of these would work better (I think) Good luck.
Bruce

Found this in another forum
----------------------------------------
The rear glass on my '98 vert came loose from the convertible top. The glass didn't fall, it hangs by two straps that are secured to the top itself. I called the dealer and the entire top needs replacing. The cost, since I'm out of warranty, was $2400. I checked a few other local upholstery shops and they ranged from $1200 to $2500. Before shelling out the money I decided to try my own fixes but Crazy Glue and Velcro didn't help.
Last week I came accross the owner of a '98 Pace Car Edition who told me he had the same problem (a buddy of his, who also has a '98,also had the glass pop off the top). He told me he fixed it with 3M's 5200 marine epoxy. I tried it and so far it seems to be holding. We'll see how it works out in the long run. The stuff comes in black or white and it's really really messy so use care if using it. The kicker is that you have to ensure that the glass doesn't move while the epoxy sets. I place several thick books under the glass.
-------------------------------------
The rear window on my 02 vert ia still solidly attached.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom