Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

cool new half shafts

Delph

Corvette
1967 Corvette Roadster Bigblock 500+HP
what do you think about my new half shafts :D

Carbonfiberhalfshafts006.jpg

Wow! They should get the job done.

That's what I need to do so I can launch without worrying about twisting the half-shafts into pretzels.

Nice stuff. :upthumbs

Are they Tom's?

maybe--I got them from Dan @ Van Steel...he said he didnt make them and I like dealing with Dan... he is one of the nicest guys to buy from

Tim,

Since we are on the subject of shafts, I figured I might as well post a few pictures of mine. These were purchased for the 67 coupe that has the 572 transplant, and I was told that if ever they did not stand up top the abuse, they would be replaced.

Forged ends, the strongest " Spicers " etc. should give me some piece of mind. Your are great looking, what are they made from . ?

Stepinwolf

shaft1.jpg

shaft2.jpg

mine are made of Carbon fiber good for about 1000 HP--I like them because they will shatter if something major happens and not tear up the bottom of my 67

mine are made of Carbon fiber good for about 1000 HP--I like them because they will shatter if something major happens and not tear up the bottom of my 67

Great reasoning, must'a been expensive as héll though.

Stepinwolf

Wolfman..;LOL .. If you ever Launch that 572..do-en the fly-en clutch pedal.. your gon-a need a new frame.... That Motor will twist Zora's frame like a Hopped up cracke hooher....:rotfl :boogie ...

Not to mention you'll need two Rudder's from an F-14 Tom Cat to keep it straight down the road when it stars Torque steering you into the Fried Chicken Drive thu..:boogie

Wolfman..;LOL .. If you ever Launch that 572..do-en the fly-en clutch pedal.. your gon-a need a new frame.... That Motor will twist Zora's frame like a Hopped up cracke hooher....:rotfl :boogie ...

Not to mention you'll need two Rudder's from an F-14 Tom Cat to keep it straight down the road when it stars Torque steering you into the Fried Chicken Drive thu..:boogie

Tim, sorry for the hi-jack, but this message from my buddy VNV, needs a responce.

VNV,

I just love your Avatar, make sure you leave it there for many moons, so that no one will ever forget.

As far the clutch thingy, it's going to be hard to incorporate a manual clutch into the TH400 that I installed. That being said, I am glad to have chosen a " Super Street Fighter " from TCI, since it is built to hold up to the abuse the 572 will be dishing out.

The frame is a new part from a 76, ( no rust, no rot, no stress ) and almost all of the welds have been reinforced. Since the customer is not performance inclined ( he just loved the look of the new crate engine ) my impression is that the rubber from the gas pedal, will never come in contact with the carpet underneath the pedal.

Once he gets the car, if he has trouble keeping it straight when he launches, I'll remove the rear posi, :bang and just let him spin one wheel. I know the gentlemen well, and I guarantee he will never know the difference.

Two days ago he called to give me a new delivery date, because his only daughter is getting married in early July, and he would like to drive the car to the wedding. With these types of priorities, you can see that standing on it, will not be one of his pastimes.

Stepinwolf

pic1.jpg

Didn't mean to HJ the Thread... Didn't know you were installing a slush box. Of course all of my comment were made in jest. That should be one sweet ride. In fact ..I like the idea of the TH400. Makes for a enjoyable cruzer with Gobs of torque when needed.
I can imagine the look on a rice burner's face when he get ripped up by that monster...;LOL

Ok...Back to your thread....

I'm also using CF 1/2 shafts...

bnpsdri3.jpg

5000 miles of abuse so far and no worries! :beer

That's what I need to do so I can launch without worrying about twisting the half-shafts into pretzels.

Nice stuff. :upthumbs

Are they Tom's?

Not Tom's for Toms Differential. I wanted to run those and they recommended steel shafts instead with 1480 u-joints.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :chuckle

Hey Stepinwolf,

The whole setup is from Tom's Differential. Its the 12 bolt conversion with custom 35 spline spindles with 1480 ujoints with 3 1/2 half shafts. Strongest rear they offer for now. I had been wait for their custom housing but its still not available. I still have to install the half shaft loops. Their setup does put a sizeable dent in your wallet but it is well made. :eek:hnoes Like they say, you get what you pay for.

Chuck

Same setup we used on the "King Ray" project car. :)

John,

Which spindles and ujoints are those? I assume they are 1350 ujoints as I was told no one has the carbon fiber shafts with 1480 ujoints.

Thanks
Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom