Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cool Shark at Detroit

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
I talked to the builder of this car at the Detroit Autorama. He really put a lot of effort and thought into this car and I'll bet his customer is thrilled. The engine is the 572/720 horse crate motor. One of the most unique items is the custom made air cleaner. Since this made the engine quite tall he made a completely new custom hood. This is a new item and not a L88 or modified L88 hood. He made and owns the mold and can make more if anyone wants one. He also made a mold and made the rear quarters. They are about 1 1/2" wider. I think he told me that the rear wheels are 18x10 and the fronts are 17x8. I should have written it down. He finished the car off in '73 yellow and made a custom 572 console plate. This was a really nice car built for the customer to drive and enjoy.

The builder is Larry Burchett out of Knoxville TN. A really nice guy to talk to. He has a web site too. www.b-rodorcustom.com

Tom

Here's the whole car.

Hard to beat 73 yellow... ;)

Sharp looking Vette. If the 572 lives up to it's rep, it'd be fun to drive too!!

-Mac

It's always great. I wouldn't miss it. I will be posting a link to my album as soon as I get all of the pictures edited.

Tom

WOW..

Nice work on that one.. Thanks for posting Tom.

:w
-Stefan

Did anyone see the Camaro that Chip Foose sold at Barrett-Jackson?It had a 572 with a low profile fuel injection setup that looked like it might fit under a Vette hood.Does anybody have a picture of this car.Its my dream lottery motor.(this week anyway)

Tom Bryant said:
I talked to the builder of this car at the Detroit Autorama. He really put a lot of effort and thought into this car and I'll bet his customer is thrilled. The engine is the 572/720 horse crate motor. One of the most unique items is the custom made air cleaner. Since this made the engine quite tall he made a completely new custom hood. This is a new item and not a L88 or modified L88 hood. He made and owns the mold and can make more if anyone wants one. He also made a mold and made the rear quarters. They are about 1 1/2" wider. I think he told me that the rear wheels are 18x10 and the fronts are 17x8. I should have written it down. He finished the car off in '73 yellow and made a custom 572 console plate. This was a really nice car built for the customer to drive and enjoy.

The builder is Larry Burchett out of Knoxville TN. A really nice guy to talk to. He has a web site too. www.b-rodorcustom.com

Tom

Tom: I too spoke with Larry and took several pictures of the car. The wheels are Eagle 1's shod with 285/40R18 Dunlops in the rear. Didn't get the front size. The Hookers are powdercoated black for durability. Interesting car with skillful touches that aren't all of the chrome nature. You are right that he was a great guy to visit with and the hood has some possibilities. Marv

I also noticed that the hood is a short version, as he has the wiper door still installed. Something to know about if anyone is considering ordering one. It probably wouldn't take too much to fabricate the extension, but it may not have the right look after modifying it to make it a long hood. Interesting hood though.

That is one sharp looking shark, but I have a simple question if anyone has an answer.

Just what is on the car to make it shine like that?

Thanks

That's what you get when you cough up the $$ for a top shelf custom paint job. It was a base/clear I'm sure but a lot of hours were spent in prep and color sanding/buffing.

Tom

:L It sure looks like it. What day were you there?

Tom Bryant said:
:L It sure looks like it. What day were you there?

Friday when the doors opened and left at 4:30, the only time to go to avoid the crowds in yer picture

Rodknock said:
Friday when the doors opened and left at 4:30, the only time to go to avoid the crowds in yer picture

It wasn't nearly as bad as the auto show but I know what you mean. We got there about 9:30 and had breakfast across the street then went in about 10:15. It was about 7:30 when we left. I think we only set down for 15 minutes twice all day long. I was definately feeling it on Monday but it was worth it.

Every year I pledge to take a couple vacation days and get a room at the MGM or someplace close by where I can ride the tram back and forth. Then I can take my time and rest as needed. You really can't do a good job seeing it all in one day plus I miss too many of the get togethers that happen on Saturday.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom