Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant Flush!

scotch1

Corvette
1994 convert. 2002 C5 coupe
Hi!
I want to completely flush the radiator and engine, not just drain the system as many garages do.
My L98 Coupe has over 122K miles on it and therefore it deserves a needed coolant replacement, and maintenance.

Any ideas on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated?
I am looking for a reliable garage specializing in this in central New Jersey.

Tom

I do not know of any good way to "flush" the system. The way I do it is to drain both the radiator and motor then fill it up with water, then let it cycle, drain it and repeat it a few times. Then just fill it with a mix of antifreeze and water. Maybe somebody somebody will chime in with a better answer.

What I have often done is to remove the thermostat. Drain as much out as will come out on it's own. Leave the drain open. Insert garden hose in filler. Turn on hose and fill with drain open leave the water run to just maintain water level. start engine. Run this way till water is clear at drain. Turn off engine, allow to drain. Then close drain and put in right amount of antifreese for your system volume. Top off with water. It is advisible to catch the first part of the water that comes out, don't want to ruin our envirorment.Replace the thermostat of course.

Glenn
:w

Yes, I think I’ll do that. It sounds the simplest and I can’t get into much trouble.
But I was thinking more along the line of disconnecting the upper and lower hose and removing the thermostat and lower antiknock on bottom of engine
Then connecting a water pressure pump or device to the engine and pushing or flushing out the block and then doing the same to the radiator.
Tom

Coolant flush

Definitely remove the knock sensors. Carefully remove the heater core hoses at the motor end (they tend to stick to the heater core tubes) and flush the heater core both directions several times. Syphon the old mix out of the overflow bottle and expansion tank and flush them too. Pulling off the lower radiator hose from the radiator really speed things up.
Don't use too much pressure. The heater core and radiator won't take much more than 15-18 psi and house water pressure is typically 50+psi.

Good, you’re right. My heater core is new, but I will definitely flush it to remove any gook that might be in there
You’re right about the pressure from my house being enough for the flushing. . But I’ll need something much stronger for the radiator and engine block.
Tom.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom