Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant Recommendations

Albiesc5

Corvette
2003 Coupe Torch Red
I'm sure the subject of Dex-Cool coolant has come up a zillion times, but my search revealed very little.
My 2003 Coupe still has the original Dex-Cool coolant with only 6000 miles. (garage queen)
Is Dex-Cool still the only coolant to use as per the manual, or should I convert to the standard green stuff?

I'm sure the subject of Dex-Cool coolant has come up a zillion times, but my search revealed very little.
My 2003 Coupe still has the original Dex-Cool coolant with only 6000 miles. (garage queen)
Is Dex-Cool still the only coolant to use as per the manual, or should I convert to the standard green stuff?

Stay with Dex-Cool.

Do not switch to an antifreeze with a silicate-base corrosion inhibiter package, ie: traditional antifreeze colored. "green", "yellow" or "blue".

Continue to use Dex-Cool which uses a calcium-based inhibiter. As your car is a 03, if you've never changed the coolant, NOW is the time to do it. Drain the coolant, flush the system with tap water, then refill with Dex-Cool per the Service Manual.

I know that many CACers do not like dealers nor their shops, but I find that mine (Bozarth in Lone Tree, CO) does good work and lets me watch. I had all three of my vettes winterized with Dex Cool. The dealer uses the BG system that cleans, flushes, and then adds the correct dilution of anti freeze. Quick and painless and guaranteed. As I see it, some dealers charge more than others, so it can be somewhat expensive. I just don't like doing the anti-freeze routine anymore and besides, I don't want the hassle of disposing of the used anti freeze lawfully. I change the anti freeze when needed (dealer can test it). But I agree with Hib, the 03 should be changed now.
Barrett

Eventhough Dex-Cool is 5yr/150K miles, experience has shown that it can "sludge-up" if air gets into the system. The general consensus I have seen over the years is to change it at 3yr intervals. I have done this with my '03 Z06 since new and the coolong system is "perfect." Just my two cents.:)

Even with 6K miles on your '03, it is 3-4 years beyond the manufacturers recommended change period...change it now and replace with DexCool.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom