Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Coolant smell why driving

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
my 96 LT1 CE lately has been giving out the odor of coolant while driving, I have seen no leaks or coolant on the ground, have not had to run the heater ( phoenix rarely needs it ) and no overheating . Just wondering what else it could be.
Thanx
Gordon

Coolant leak

:beerIt could be one of several problems. I just recently had the same problem. My 1st guess would be a bad heater core. You don't have to see any fluid to smell a very small leak. The other two things it could be is a cracked head gasket or cracked head. I would 1st check the heater core. The best way would be a pressure test. Hope this helps.:beer

My 1992 had the same smell all the sudden, I knew right away to check under the car and I saw a drip, 2 days later it was leaking past the rear wheels. Replaced the water pump, check the spark plug boots on the Opti for an odd (non-black) color surface (maybe brownish), corrision looking almost. Its could be a sign the water pump, gaskets, heater hose connection are the cause for the smell/leak.

I'd bet it is the heater core. Mine did the same thing (93LT1), and I could actually detect a trace of coolant on the passenger side floorboard. Since it was the middle of summer I just bypassed the core. I'm probably going to be changing out the core this weekend, because it's getting too cold to drive without any heat. Good Luck!:beer

Was hoping that was not it, Had to do that on my 85 and what a PITA,
I'll chedk out the passenger side this weekend.
Thanx ( I think )
Gordon

Yep....I'd say more than likely, heater core. Happened on my 93. I could smell a trace of coolant, and my windshield would occasionally fog up (that is another sign) lift the carpet (get all the way down) on the passenger side and feel around. See if anything feels wet or damp, and take a wiff too..if so...deff heater core:eek:hnoes

I went into the passenger side checked all the carpet, no wetness or smell on the carpet. Will try the defroster tomorrow am thats how I found out what it was in my 85 ( constant haze on the windshield ). I am gonna jack it up tomorrow also to see if there is sumthing underneath that I can't see from the top.

My bet is the water pump. You can just run it until its warm then shut it down and very carefully stick your finger under the pump. You'll feel coolant if its going bad. You could also stick a long handled inspection mirror under it. Direct a flashlight at the mirror, you'll have to play with the angles a bit but you can get it to reflect off the mirror and shine up under the pump. You'll be able to see the hole the coolant leaks out from in the mirror, as well as any coolant leaking from it. Done it many times...
good luck

my 96 LT1 CE lately has been giving out the odor of coolant while driving, I have seen no leaks or coolant on the ground, have not had to run the heater ( phoenix rarely needs it ) and no overheating . Just wondering what else it could be.
Thanx
Gordon
Heater Core.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom