Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cooling system question

ducvw2004

Corvette
2008 C6
I just replaced the upper radiator hose, checked all coolant levels, including the overflow reservoir, and replaced the radiator cap.

The problem:

The upper hose is higher than the radiator cap and the hose is full of air when the engine is cold.

Dumb question, but how do I purge the air from the system?

To purge the air:

1) With engine off, remove the radiator cap and fill it with fluid.
2) Turn the heater on.
3) Start engine. When the engine is cold the thermostat is closed, so fluid only circulates through the block, not the radiator.
4) Wait.
5) When the car gets warm enough, the thermostat will open. At this point the fluid level in the radiator should drop as fluid begins to circulate through the block.
6) Refill radiator.
7) The cold fluid from the radiator will cause the thermostat to close.
8) Continue until the fluid stays at a constant level.

At this point, you should have the air out.
I'd drive the car for a couple of days. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge. Then check the fluid level in the radiator. If it is low after a couple of long drives, then refill it.

Be VERY careful. You will be working around a running engine and it would really, really suck to get a hand or article of clothing caught on a belt or the fan.

On a post -72 Corvette, top ups of fluid to the cooling system should be via the coolant recovery tank. Make sure it never drops below the max cold level and you'll be fine.

Thanks folks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom