Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Correct 1989 windshield VIN plate

jefmd

Corvette
1989 Coupe
I just finished examining a 1989 low mileage 6 speed coupe. It was almost too good to be true. Only thing bothering me were some engine compartment components looked brand new while some brackets had rust blistered paint. Body panels lined up and the interior was extremely nice. The Carfax was clean. The windshield VIN plate had the number stamped similar to large dogtag print.

I compared these discrepancies on a friends 1989 mid mileage automatic coupe. There were no brackets with blistered paint. More interesting was the VIN plate which had a high quality surface with etched number. My friend purchased her Vette new and I know it is original. The vehicle sequence numbers were only about 2000 difference toward the end of the model year production.

Did GM change the VIN plate appearance during the 1989 model year run. I almost bought the car but hesitated because of the VIN plate discrepancy and concern about a rebuilt vehicle.

The VIN should appear in other places on the car. Call your local highway partol office and ask if they can compare the VIN on the tag with what is placed elswwhere. Then ask to take the car for a test drive and drive over there. The city PD may also help too.

GM along with most other car makers did change the style of VIN tags at some point from a stamped tag to a etched tag but I would have thought it would have been done at the beginning of the model year.

Check with your state DMV laws regarding how a VIN tag can be replaced. If a car gets a salvage title, some states re-issue a different tag with a new number and placed in a different location. It's possible that rebuilt vehicles may keep the original VIN if the original frame is used as the basis of the rebuilt car.

If you have any doubts about the car or a VIN check doesn't satisfy ALL of your concerns, walk away from the deal. There are lots of Vettes out there in excellent condition so it's just a matter of finding the right car that you want. When I bought my 92 vert, I had looked for almost 7 months and probably looked at 12-15 cars before I bought.

Here's a pic of my '89 Automatic. It's the dog-tag style held on with pop rivits and I know it's good. On vehicles with the "Anti-Theft Label" the vin number is on that label. The label can be found on the front & rear bumbers, hood, right & left front fender, major body planels, both doors & transmission. As for the rebuild I don't have a clue. Take it to a mechanic that knows the C4's.

jefmd said:
I just finished examining a 1989 low mileage 6 speed coupe. It was almost too good to be true. Only thing bothering me were some engine compartment components looked brand new while some brackets had rust blistered paint. Body panels lined up and the interior was extremely nice. The Carfax was clean. The windshield VIN plate had the number stamped similar to large dogtag print.

I compared these discrepancies on a friends 1989 mid mileage automatic coupe. There were no brackets with blistered paint. More interesting was the VIN plate which had a high quality surface with etched number. My friend purchased her Vette new and I know it is original. The vehicle sequence numbers were only about 2000 difference toward the end of the model year production.

Did GM change the VIN plate appearance during the 1989 model year run. I almost bought the car but hesitated because of the VIN plate discrepancy and concern about a rebuilt vehicle.
Yes, GM DID change the VIN plate part-way through the 1989 model year.
I have two 1989's, both have the VIN# stamped on a tag w/ larger characters - the very late 1989's got the "etched" versions that carried into the 1990 and beyond Y-Body cars.
I hope this helps clear things up :v

(The image in the post above, is how my two 1989's VIN tags look)

Thanks everyone for your responses. There was a local Corvette Club event in our area this weekend so I checked there as well. 1988s and earlier were stamped. 1990 and later were quality etched with GM on each side and a bar code across the top of the plate. Unfortunately I saw no 1989s at this event. No one could tell me for certain if GM would change the plate during mid- or end-year of the run. I appreciate *89x2* personal input to clarify my question.

All the other labeled parts I noted had matching numbers. The underhood parts could be a combination of normal replacement parts and poor factory prepped parts. If the car is still available, I will definitely need to take a second look. If I still have any concerns, I will keep looking. Thank you for all your help!

Glad my reply was of some help :m

If you have any specific 1989 questions, feel free to ask - I have a 1 owner 89 coupe (auto) and a VERY low mile 89 Coupe (fx3,mn6,b2k) and love the 89's :D

BTW - the 1989 I drove w/ the etched plate was a VERY, VERY late 1989 convertible 6 spd. somewhere at the end of that years production...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom