Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Correct antifreeze!

scotch1

Corvette
1994 convert. 2002 C5 coupe
Hi everyone.
Can I use Preston antifreeze or Peak antifreeze to my cooling system??

Both say that they are compatable with all coolants and engine parts, and coolant colors and, both say that they have the proper additives?

Is there any antifreeze I should not use?

Is one type better then another or are they all the same??
Thanks.
Tom.

Yes. The 'green' stuff is pretty much compatible with any of the green stuff. Even the new 'red' stuff like Dexcool which became standard in '96 on the Vette. I have used both Peak and Preston in the past without problem.

Tuna.
Thanks very much. I was a little apprehensive about mixing antifreeze.
I have heard some stories about it, and just wanted to make sure that it was ok.
I just had all the fluids changed: rear end, transmission (automatic) power brakes, power steering, and the radiator flushed and coolant replaced. As I intend on keeping my '94 vert, I love it and it has been a very reliable and trouble free ride. Last year I drove to Wichita, and than on to Texas. I love route 35.
Thanks again.
Tom.

You might want to check on this, But I think it should be a 'green' ethylene glycol anti-freeze with silicates.

You might want to check on this, But I think it should be a 'green' ethylene glycol anti-freeze with silicates.

If that is the case, then I'd stay away from Prestone. It is supposed to be a Dexcool clone.

If you want the green stuff, you can get it at Napa. What I got though for my 89 was the Zerex G-05. It is NOT a Dexcool clone, but is supposed to have the advantages of the newer type of coolants, and is supposed to work fine in cars with the green stuff.

With the green stuff, you are supposed to change it every year. With the G-05, you can get by with changing it every 3 years I believe.

Tuna.
Thanks very much. I was a little apprehensive about mixing antifreeze.
I have heard some stories about it, and just wanted to make sure that it was ok.
I just had all the fluids changed: rear end, transmission (automatic) power brakes, power steering, and the radiator flushed and coolant replaced. As I intend on keeping my '94 vert, I love it and it has been a very reliable and trouble free ride. Last year I drove to Wichita, and than on to Texas. I love route 35.
Thanks again.
Tom.

Thats the first time I have seen I-35 referenced as "route 35" :rotfl

I run distilled water and red stuff, for my Optispark.

If you are changing the coolant don't forget the GM pellets #3634621 for LT1s & 4s and will help keep other engines form seeping too. We use them all the time and they are required for LT1 & LT4s with coolant change.

If you are changing the coolant don't forget the GM pellets #3634621 for LT1s & 4s and will help keep other engines form seeping too. We use them all the time and they are required for LT1 & LT4s with coolant change.

I thought GM said to quit using them? All I hear is to not use them.

Is there any antifreeze I should not use?

Yup - GM red, a.k.a Dex-Crud.

It WILL form 'The Plug' in the heater core. My Dex-Crud vehicle record is 1.000 (batting 1,000). All 4 GM's I owned with GM red, including a 'bought-new' '02 Express van 5.7, 190k miles is less than 2 years, running almost 24/7, had the plug in the heater core at 104k. And my maintenance wrench was as good on that as on all my wheels, if not the BEST. That was my personal vehicle in my fleet, and still got the plug.

Ask me what I REALLY think of GM red...

shit_pile2.jpg

My 96 Owmer's Manual states to specifically use Dex-Cool ORANGE (why you guys refer to it to RED is a mystery to me) and must be silicate free. It's good for 5 years or 100,000 miles and should meet GM Spec 6277M. Info on my Prestone bottle shows it meets all those specs.

Don't go by BRAND name. Earlier year Vettes probably use a different coolant meeting a different GM spec, so be careful when you buy. Make sure what you buy meets the spec GM specifies.

NEVER mix green with orange; they're not compatible. Each has a specific GM spec. and GM WARNS that if a silicated coolant is mixed with Orange, premature corrosion may result. Some have reported the two, mixed together, turn to sort of like jello.

Hope this helps.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!

My 96 Owmer's Manual states to specifically use Dex-Cool ORANGE...
Your '96 owner's manual was written BEFORE Dex-Crud lost the class action lawsuit.
pbgoogler.gif

Red, ORANGE, lavender, chartreuse, grape, call it what you want, and put it in your car if you want - that's up to you.

If you do, you WILL get 'The Plug' in your heater core. You can take that to the bank YUP UH HUH :thumb.

I put Zerex G-05 in my 89 Vette. It is Phosphate free I believe. It is supposed to have a longer life like the newer coolants, but still work in older engines. Though, GM doesn't use it, but I've read of people using the G-05 in their older Vettes with no problem.

With the green stuff, they say you need to change the coolant every year. Which, I went with the G-05 as you can go to 3 years. Plus, the green stuff can sludge up on you from what I've read, less of a chance with the G-05.

I thought GM said to quit using them? All I hear is to not use them.

Well if you can find the GM TSB where that is stated I would like to see it. Espically since they still sell them over the counter. Anyway, boards are like that concerning most everything. One guy swears by it and the next swear at it. All I can go by is what works for me. My old 93 is now my son's car, we just pulled the engine for a build up at over 100K and the cooling system looks to be in good shape, car has always had the "pills". Our '87 Allante is over 150K and cooling system was clean too when I installed a new radiator due to impact damage. Both of those as well as the others with the pills operate just fine in the Texas heat with the a/c on. We also run Big Bend ORR and Texas Mile in the Vettes.

Your '96 owner's manual was written BEFORE Dex-Crud lost the class action lawsuit.
pbgoogler.gif

Red, ORANGE, lavender, chartreuse, grape, call it what you want, and put it in your car if you want - that's up to you.

If you do, you WILL get 'The Plug' in your heater core. You can take that to the bank YUP UH HUH :thumb.

In spite of all the posts I've read where Dex-Cool has met with negative comments, my 96 and my son's 96 both have been runnig Dex-Cool Orange for a combined over 200,000 in miles with absolutely no problem. However, if there's more/new information on that coolant I'd like to know.

So if GM now recommends something other that Dex-Cool Orange I'd like to read about it. Can you point me in the direction where anything along those lines is posted?

Was their a factory recall, perhaps as a result of the law suit you mentioned, for cars that came from the factory with Orange to have their systems flushed and replaced with some other type of coolant?

Thanks,

Jake

Don't listen to peoples' negative comments - including mine. But DO research of your own when they say something.

I typed in 'Dex Coo' in my Google search bar - didn't even finish typing, and well, you can see the auto-complete drop down for yourself.

attachment.php

Never mind how the case was disposed (the settlement), because the deals that are struck in closed chambers are NOT for the consumer.

If you have this stuff in your car, get it out. Yesterday. AND, flush the heater core DIRECTLY, BOTH DIRECTIONS, until you get the plug out. It will look like a greyish-pink piece of chewing gum, and have the same consistency.

I am not convinced that Dex-Cool is "bad" for my (or my son's) engine.. Nor have I had any problem or negative experience in using Dex-Cool. It's obvious that you're certainly adamant in your condemnaton of Dex-Cool, however I don't share your view.

In the future, should I experience a problem that I can reasonably contribute to the use of Dex-Cool my position may change but as of now, I see no negative effect of running Dex-Cool and will continue to do so.

To each his own; my choice.

Jake

Prestone has a coolant that claims compatible with all coolants. Anybody know what this is ? Is it really compatible?

Glenn
:w

I've spoken to 4 different shops, they are of one accord DON'T use Dex-Cool. A successful class action law suite is enough for me thanks very much. Roger.

I replaced the antifreeze in my 1986 back in 1994 when I got the car. I flushed very thouroughly and then replaced with the Prestone Dexcool equivalent (Orange) and distilled water, 50/50 mix, also added a bottle of Prestone water pump lube to the mix. I have flushed and replaced it every 5 years since then and have put about 35,000 miles on since 1994. I have had zero problems with the conversion. The heater core has not plugged up and does not over heat. Still running on original water pump, radiator, heater core etc. I have a total of about 55,000 original miles on it now. It runs perfectly. Just my 2 cents on the subject

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom