Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Correct Tire Pressure

C

Colorado C6

Picked up new 2009 Vette yesterday. Checked tire pressure (cold) this morning and tires were inflated to 36 lbs. Tag in door says 30 F&R. Tires are the Goodyear runflats which come standard. Car is not a Z06 and I do not plan on high speed driving. Z06 wheels were supplied by the dealer so car did not come from factory at 36 lbs. Comments. Thanks.

Colorado C6,
First of all, welcome to :CAC

I have a 2006 Convertible, and like you, the tag inside the driver's door indicates front and rear to be inflated to 30 PSI. Notwithstanding that, I've been keeping my tires in the 34 PSI range. Part of the reason for this is that on particularly cold mornings this past March or April, when the tires were routinely around the 30 PSI range, I would get an under-inflation warning from my DIC at start-up.

-Patrick

I generally run the tag recommended pressure in both my 06 and 08 - so I'm looking for 30 PSI when I pull it out of the garage in the morning. It also means that I have to pay attention to outside air temperature swings and stay up on the tire pressure. Not a big problem since it's readily available on the DIC at the touch of a button.

I also check the DIC reading with a real tire pressure gauge to make sure everything is working within tolerance.

:welcome

Congrats on the new ride. I thought the '09's were supposed to come with Michelin tires. :confused

If you are not going to run the car hard, then it is probably not a big deal, but from what I have heard, the Michelin's are supposed to be better performing tires.

Be sure to post a few pics when you get a chance.

Jason

Thanks for the responses. Think I'll leave them at 30 for now. I check tire pressure often and can adjust if I need to. I thought the 09 model would come with Michelins also, but was told by dealer yesterday that only Z06 now comes with Michelin tires???? Thanks for the welcome. I am happy with the ride as compared with my new Mini Cooper S with run flats.

I just replaced the fronts on my Z with OEM Goodyear runflats. I noticed yesterday that they increased in pressure from 31 to 37PSI. I wasn't driving the car as hard as I usually do. (I was leading 27 Corvettes thru the mountains of SoCal, so I had to go slow!)

I did take the indentical route on Thursday previous to check out the road conditions (almost hit a turkey!) with the old tires. They were worn out!

I would have thought that with a quicker pace, I would have generated more heat/pressure rise. I knew my tires were gone as I inspect them after every run. I was doing a lot of sliding on purpose (mostly understeer.) Just having fun!

Hypothesis: I've heard that sliding tires can remove heat from the surface of the tires, but the carcass retains a greater amount of heat, so I just don't know...

Cliff notes:

Same route.
(Thursday)Outside temp: 99F, old tires, 31PSI to 34PSI and hauling ass, sliding around.

(Saturday) Outside temp: 93F, new tires, 31PSI cold to 37PSI and just cruising along.

I use nitrogen all the time, so that's consistant.

Any ideas?

Norty. It looks like you had 31 lbs cold on both days. Right?

Norty. It looks like you had 31 lbs cold on both days. Right?
Yes, and the temperature outside was within a couple of degrees. (Approx 68F)

One other thing~ the rear tire pressure "grew" as it usually does. (About 34-35PSI)

Here's what I use to get all four the same pressure.
16SEP2007SOIRUN015.jpg

Thanks Norty for sharing your pictures. Be careful or your car will turn into a Macy's parade balloon.

:welcome

I thought the '09's were supposed to come with Michelin tires. :confused

Jason

The only cars with Michelins as standard equipment so far are ZR1's. In fact that is the only size made in the new Michelin run flats so far. At the Corvette bash in April the reps from Michelin said that they plan on making tires in sizes for all C6's and C5's but could not provide a timeline for their release. I for one am looking forward to the new choice for those of us that prefer to stick with run flats. I hope this has been some help.:thumb

Norty were did you get all the parts for your tire pressure set. I don't recall seeing the locking pressure valve at my local store. Thanks for the info on that great set-up.

Norty were did you get all the parts for your tire pressure set. I don't recall seeing the locking pressure valve at my local store. Thanks for the info on that great set-up.
Harbor Freight had everything.

My 08 is set to the factory pressure but the dealership has filled the tires with nitrogen instead of O2, I have green valve stem caps to show that the tires have nitrogen in them. I took it back about a week after I picked it up because the DIC was showing two PSI higher on the left than on the right and the dealer adjusted it and now I have exactly the same pressure on both sides all the time. 30 cold 32 hot.
Not sure if the Nitrogen is a big deal but it seems to keep the pressure constant.

I'm not sure I buy into this nitrogen issue. How do we as owners get nitrogen at home? We have to go and pay Belle or Discount to fill them. Does anyone have a home nitrogen unit that dosn't cost a small fortune?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom