Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

correct valve lash 63 327/340?

wjhpc

Corvette
1963 split window 340 hp and 62 300hp
Hi there. going to adjust valves for the first time on my restored 63 340hp. Can someone give me the correct valve lash spec? Going to use the traditional exhasut open/intake closed method. any other tips? thanks, Jim H

From Memory

It was 1964 that the 30/30 cam was introduced. The 097 was the forerunner to the 30/30. Two views on the 097 cam. I always thought the lash was 8/18 but there has also been 12/18 usage too.

By the way, EOI/ICE is correct and easy to use.

.012 intake
.018 exhaust
Use the "go/no go" method, ie: an .011 or an .017 fits but a .013 and .019 won't fit.

Do one bank at a time.
Adjust each intake when its exhaust starts to open.
Adjust each exhaust when its intake begins to close.

if you belong to ncrs there are several post on the correct way to adjust the valve on these cars it is a little different than other cars because of the design of the ramps for the lifters.I do think there is a trial membership and you could look up the post by Duke WilliamsI believe with a car like yours you might consider joining I found it invaluable working on my 61 and a lot of other cars I do work on for people Steve

thanks to all! Jim H

QUICK AND EASY WAY

With number ONE UP, Balancer on "0" mark.
Adjust :
Exhaust: 1,3,4,and 8.
Intake : 1,2,5, and 7

Rotate crank 180 degrees and bring # SIX UP, Balancer on "0"
Adjust :
Exhaust: 2,5,6 and 7
Intake : 3,4,6 and 8

Grumpy Jenkins taught a bunch of us this method years ago. Works great at the race track also. It is clean, fast and works great.

I would do the above, replace valve covers, start the engine and warm it well, then remove covers and adjust again once warm.

If the engine is new, make sure you use special break in oil, and once running set engine up to 2500RPM and let run for 20 minutes at that speed to break in the cam shaft and lifters, then take it for a drive. Once back to the shop, let cool for twenty minutes and repeat valve adjustment.

With number ONE UP, Balancer on "0" mark.
Adjust :
Exhaust: 1,3,4,and 8.
Intake : 1,2,5, and 7

Rotate crank 180 degrees and bring # SIX UP, Balancer on "0"
Adjust :
Exhaust: 2,5,6 and 7
Intake : 3,4,6 and 8

Grumpy Jenkins taught a bunch of us this method years ago. Works great at the race track also. It is clean, fast and works great.

I would do the above, replace valve covers, start the engine and warm it well, then remove covers and adjust again once warm.

If the engine is new, make sure you use special break in oil, and once running set engine up to 2500RPM and let run for 20 minutes at that speed to break in the cam shaft and lifters, then take it for a drive. Once back to the shop, let cool for twenty minutes and repeat valve adjustment.

I had a really bad experience with this method of valve adjustment with my 30-30 cam engine. I bent lifters (bad), because you are on the cams ramps with this method of adjustment. It may work on some cams but you will always be right on with the EOI/ICE method. You can add 0.02" to the exhaust valves clearance and adjust them cold. My take on it.

I had a really bad experience with this method of valve adjustment with my 30-30 cam engine. I bent lifters (bad), because you are on the cams ramps with this method of adjustment. It may work on some cams but you will always be right on with the EOI/ICE method. You can add 0.02" to the exhaust valves clearance and adjust them cold. My take on it.
yOU ARE CORRECT. THE QUESTION WAS FOR A 097 EARLY CAM

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom