Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corsa Vs. Flowmaster Vs. B & B

• Thread starter Thread starter Matts95lt1c4
  • Start date Start date
I think that Corsa should have just made a single Tip on each muffler since one on eachis non-functioning

For those of you who say Corsa isn;t loud, you need to hear the exhaust at WOT.

Running long tube headers and no cats, with the Corsa system, it's louder than hell at WOT, but inside I can still talk to my passenger, listen to the radio, or just go for a drive for 10 minutes and not have a headache.

I just got through driving a car from Austin, tx to Portland Or, and it had long tubes no cats with a B&B system and the resonance was just enough to drive me nuts. I could still hear it when I went to sleep at night.

And installation issues with a Corsa, I've done three, and out of them the only problem we had was a wrong I pipe, they over nighted it for us.

ZR1's sound completely different than regular 350's... I haven't heard a ZR1 with Corsa, so I can't give an opinion... but I have heard LT1's... I don't like the sound at all.

I recently installed Corsa's on my 95' and I'm very happy with it. I had no install problems at all. I'd say the hardest thing to do was remove the old exhaust.

I shot a before and after video with a digital camera. The sound quality of the video is not that good, but you can tell there's a noticable difference between the stock exhaust and the Corsa.

If anyone is interested in the videos I can email them to you. The zipped file is a little over 8 MB.

-JimS

I have recently bought a 96 LT-4 6-speed CE and am looking for an exhaust system/mufflers. I have ready everything I can find on this forum and another popular vette forum and everyone is talkign about Corsa, Flowmaster,and B&B. I have not seen very many at all talk about the Magnaflow.

For the 92-96, they only offer a replacement muffler system, but when I talked to them they said that the reason they don't offer the full cat back is because there was no power to be gained. The mufflers are the restrictive piece so they offer a better muffler. I wondered if others have experienced the same. Additionally, they told me that the LT-4 has a factory h-pipe and that it is likely no cat back system would provide enough benefit to justify the cost.

I liked the look of the Magnaflows, but am not familiar with the sound in and out of the car. I sold an 11 secons nova with flowmasters so I know what a loud droning car is. I want the vette to be tolerable when driving and I don't care how loud it is when my foot is on the floor.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I am relatively new to the forum and the whole vette scene. I have enjoyed reading the many posts out here. You seem to be a very friendly and helpful group. THanks!

im just wonderin... what is the difference between an H pipe and a Y pipe besides for the obvious... is there any performance gains using one verse the other?

Just curious...

Has anyone actually just gone ahead and did a head to head comparison of the available systems? I think that if you used one car (because all cars would dyno differently) and made 2 pulls with each exhaust system vs. stock, then you could somewhat come to a conclusion as to what will give you more power.

As for the droning, I think that could be a personal preference so the debate would never end. If we could get a real world, unbiased number, no one could argue with that.

Jeffvette said:
For those of you who say Corsa isn;t loud, you need to hear the exhaust at WOT.
Running long tube headers and no cats, with the Corsa system, it's louder than hell at WOT, but inside I can still talk to my passenger, listen to the radio, or just go for a drive for 10 minutes and not have a headache.

Anything with long tubes & no cats is going to be loud -lol
I was not bashing Corsa in my post, sorry if I came off that way, like I also said in my post to each his own. For the record I have heard the Corsa @ WOT, in fact I was pretty close to buying the Corsa until I heard it on a car similar to mine which is the best advice anyone can give. Find someone with a car setup the same as yours to hear the exhaust on.
Also like I said in my other post if you're going to keep the car bascially stock save your $ and just go with different mufflers.

This debate over aftermarket cat-backs can go on forever.

LT-4 CE: I've also recently purchased my LT4 CE (about 2 months ago).

Anyway, the information Magnaflow told you doesn't jive with my research at all. To my understanding, the stock mufflers flow reasably well, and the stock resonator is the bigger killer of the two. Some folks just replace the resonator with normal pipes and get good power out of that. It's the cheapest way to more power, but it's really loud. Some folks remove the mufflers and run on the resonator only, and that's really loud, too.

As for the LT4 CE exhaust being too good to see any real improvement... another member posted around here somewhere back to back dyno runs of stock versus Corsa exhaust with the LT4. The Corsa added... I believe it was... 17rwhp. That'd be about 20 horses at the flywheel. That's a useful gain.

It sounds to me like Magnaflow was feeding you a line to try to sell their products.

There's a lot of different opinions about muffler systems, and I think they're pretty much all valid. However, I think some of the things Magnaflow told you are factually false.

vettn94: Certainly could debate forever. However, I think there are real factual differences between the various systems that make certain ones appeal to certain people. I think bringing out those differences and talking about them in these discussions is very good for helping people find the right one that matches their criteria for what they want in an exhaust.

On the other hand, if we wanted to try to figure out which is 'the best exhaust system... period', that would be a useless debate that would drag on forever (and it's been done).

They're pretty much all very good products.

- Skant

Skant said:
On the other hand, if we wanted to try to figure out which is 'the best exhaust system... period', that would be a useless debate that would drag on forever (and it's been done).

They're pretty much all very good products.

- Skant

Skant,

You're totally right with that statement! Maybe if a question was more specifically phrased, then we could come to a conclusion, ie. "which exhaust system will give me the most gain in HP?" That could be an answerable question, not that I'm qualified to answer it though.

Skant,
Sounds like we have the same car. I'd be interested in hearing more about your research into the exhasust question and what conclusions you have/are drawing. Have you bought a system yet?

I'm going to be buying the Corsa system soon.. within the next couple of weeks I expect.

It seems to work like this:

If you're most interested in powerful sound, the B&B system looks and sounds very powerful. This is favorable particularly for vettes which aren't driven very often. It is common to get annoyed with the droning resonance while cruising on the freeway with this system. Some people like it though.

If you want to have more horsepower, a more powerful sound, but don't want that drone at cruise, the Corsa system is designed specifically for this. Many owners claim that the Corsa system is even quieter on the freeway than the stock exhaust. But it does still growl when you punch it. The system is designed to phase cancel the droning resonance from 1500-2000 RPM or so. The fit and quality of this system and the B&B system are said to be very high. They are both stainless steel systems, and thusly won't deteriorate so quickly as regular exhaust.

Flowmaster is the lowballer for the exhaust systems. Their catback system will produce just as much horsepower as the others, but will cost much less. It is not stainless, however. So it will have a shorter lifespan. It is most comparable to the B&B system, I think. Though it is said that the two systems have rather different exhaust notes... the more expensive B&B generally being the more favored, naturally.

The power effects system is the most expensive of the whole lot. It has a unique adjustable capability. You can open it up for more power and lots of noise. And you can close it down to make it relatively quiet again. For some people, this arrangement may be especially suitable... for instance, the car could be set quiet for long freeway trips... and then set to full open/loud for autocrossing or the drag strip.

There are also muffler eliminators and replacing the resonator with straight pipe. Both of these options will provide horse power increases which I expect are similar to those of a full catback system. However, the noise level is generally considered to be excessive, even for people that really like that kind of thing. Owners who have do this often find themselves seeking metods of quieting the car down afterwards... usually through the addition of H pipe or X pipe connections. Sometimes cars configured this way have problems with backfiring when they come off the throttle.

I really haven't heard anything about the Magnaflow mufflers. Being a muffler change only, and leaving the stock resonator in place, I would not expect as much horsepower gain as with the other systems. Since I see very little mention of them, I expect they are not too popular compared to the other systems available.

Of the whole lot, I believe the Corsa and the Flowmaster systems are the most widely popular. The Corsas are heavily favored by owners who daily drive their vettes and seem to be the most popular high end system. The Flowmasters are popular because they are cheap and effective.

Btw, if you get the Corsa system, make sure you purchase the correct one to fit the LT4. There's a particular variant for the 96 which is drilled for the additional O2 sensor after one of the cats.

So there... that's pretty much the total of my research on the subject. I don't have personal experience with the systems I'm talking about. This is a compilation derived from others comments and official sources.

- Skant

Skant,
Thanks for taking so much time to responde. I appreciate your insights. Sounds for the most part as if we have accumulated the same information, other than the piece I got about the Magnaflow.

I have always like the sound of Flowmaster from when I had them on my drag car. I just can't get over the look of the tips on the vette system Easy to change I suppose. I after double checking the Magnaflow system, I am leaning toward the Corsa, with the Flows running second due primarily to cost.

Thanks again.

Ive got the TPIS longtubes and their flowmaster setup behind it.No cats in between.It does have the drone inside at about 2000-2300 rpm,but what a sweet,awesome,gnarly sound it has at idle and wot.

Muffler sounds are a preference similiar to paint colors on cars In my opinion. I wish I could put Corsas on my 1987, but they do not make a system for 87 L98 cars. You can hear corsas on a c5 at there website http://www.corsaperf.com/flashc5.htm.

I have flowmasters on my 70 Chevelle SS but would not consider them on my corvette.

I have trhe Corsa Power Pulse system, very quite at idle and highway, nothing special at WOT. There is a very slight gain in power - only because the stock system is very good to begin with on a stock or lightly modded engine.

I had a few problems with fit and installation, and for the price of the system expected much more and would never recomend them.

If you pick up a tenth over stock you would be lucky.

Power effects!!!

Matts95lt1c4 said:
Hello All,
I have a fully stock 95 auto with 48k miles and am looking for some performance upgrades. When checking into the 3 systems listed (B & B Corsa Flowmaster) I come across 2 items of concern. First is that Corsa and B & B do not mention a performance gain of Hp. However the Flowmaster mentions Hp gains. Also I am concerned with the Alum. Vs. Stainless steel construction of the Cat Back systems. I prefer the stainless to the alum. Why are there no posted Hp gains per application on either the Corsa and B & B? Also am interested in more beefy sound for a car with such a strong engine.
thanks for any help.
p.s. My vette comes out of winter retirement in the next few months.

When it comes time to buy the upgrade for my 92 Coupe, I'm going to go with the Magnaflow mufflers. I like the way they look with the mirrored finish and polished round tips. I also like the fact they are a wide open design with a "true dual" outlet on each muffler. I think it's kind of "cheesy" that an expensive after market exhaust system with dual tip mufflers, only exhausts out of one of the tips on each side. I know it's probably to help cancel unwanted sound and resonance, but why have a dual outlet configuration if it's not dual functional. From the posts I have read, the LT1 exhaust was pretty good stock except for the mufflers. The stock pipes on my vette are in good shape for a 10 year old car, so why not spend your money on other upgrades where you're going to get much more Bang for your buck ie. gears, chip etc. I really don't see the need for the mandrel bent stainless steel or aluminized cat back systems. The $600-&700 or so I save is going to go towards the other upgrades.

Thanks,
Dave :cool

I had the Magnaflows and did not like them.....probably the worst resonance of any system...and they hang low which looks really funny. They were $421 on the net. I out the stock mufflers back in.
One consideration.........the Flowmaster ForceII cat back is $537 at Jeg's and Summit....therefore the cheapest well functioning catback system. Lowest price for the Corsa's I have seen is your's truly...our forum mall....$8XX for the system. Power Effects and B&B are up there around $1,200 for the set.
I am going to go with the Flowmasters and probably mount different tips............

Matts95lt1c4 said:
Hello All,
I have a fully stock 95 auto with 48k miles and am looking for some performance upgrades. When checking into the 3 systems listed (B & B Corsa Flowmaster) I come across 2 items of concern. First is that Corsa and B & B do not mention a performance gain of Hp. However the Flowmaster mentions Hp gains. Also I am concerned with the Alum. Vs. Stainless steel construction of the Cat Back systems. I prefer the stainless to the alum. Why are there no posted Hp gains per application on either the Corsa and B & B? Also am interested in more beefy sound for a car with such a strong engine.
thanks for any help.
p.s. My vette comes out of winter retirement in the next few months.

Hi,

For B&B they list dyno results on an LT1 engine using one of their cat back models. You can find out the information by clicking catalog request on their home page (www.bbtriflo.com) and typing your information and then clicking the "receive catalog by download button" then it will give you a list of cars to choose from... pick yours and it loads a PDF file (you will need to have adobe acrobat) and then you can see the dyno results... i believe its about a 15 HP gain... if you dont have acrobat reader click this link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html and click the "get acrobat reader" button and download it...

Austin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom