Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette C6-R program could be a victim of its own success

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1

Ever since the end of the factory Dodge Viper racing program, the American Le Mans Series GT1 class has been dominated by the factory C5R and C6R Corvettes. For a while they were challenged by assorted Panoz GTR1s, privateer Vipers, Ferrari 575s and Aston Martins. In 2007, aside from an Aston Martin at Sebring, the 'Vettes have had the GT1 class to themselves.

Without some serious challengers there really isn't any point in GM continuing to fund the program. Program Manager Doug Fehan has said that they would only run unopposed for one year. If Aston Martin, Ferrari or someone else doesn't step up to the plate, 2007 is likely to be the last year for the factory C6R GT1 program. The team will definitely run at Le Mans next year but anything else is unclear right now. Beyond 2008 the team could switch to GT2 where they might challenge all the 911s and F430s.

[Source: AutoWeek]

GT2 - Good! I'd rather see them knock off the Italians and Germans.

In 2007, aside from an Aston Martin at Sebring, the 'Vettes have had the GT1 class to themselves.

[Source: AutoWeek]

That's not entirely true. At Road America in mid-August, Doran Racing ran a Maserati MC 12 for Didier Theys and Fredy Lienhard. They finished third (out of three), behind the two Corvettes, qualifying and running their fastest lap about one second off the pace of the Corvettes. I don't believe the team has been back to another race.

I hope some other manufacturers jump in with the Corvettes; I'd hate to not be able to see the C6Rs on the track next year.

What would they need to do to the C6-R to qualify it was a GT2? I would imagine even smaller air intakes, more weight, less tire?

What would they need to do to the C6-R to qualify it was a GT2? I would imagine even smaller air intakes, more weight, less tire?

By this year's rules, the minimum weights are the same for both GT1 and GT2: 2,480 pounds. The biggest difference is in the level of preparation; although both classes are "production-based," the GT1 cars are "highly modified" and produce 600-650 horsepower, while the GT2 cars are "moderately modified" and produce 450-500 horsepower. In other words (and IMHO), when you look at a GT1 car, all you see is pure race car; when you look at a GT2 car, you still can see its street-car roots. So, I'd guess there would be no way to convert the C6R to GT2; it would be easier to start fresh with a C6 body-in-white and go from there. However, with Chevy's stated goal of returning to the 24 Hours of LeMans next year, I can't see GM approving the funds for two different levels of Corvettes in competition – C6Rs for LeMans and C6s for ALMS.

At Mosport, the local promoter had an 'ad' out that showed the C6.R with the message "turning competitors into spectators."

Seems true enough. The C4 did that in World Challenge back in the '80s and ended up racing each other in the Corvette Challenge series. The C5-R ran the Viper out of GT1 and the C6.R has ran the Aston out of GT1. Aston as indicated that they would come back to ALMS if ALMS gave them a performance break - i.e.: penalize the Vette more and they'll play.

I vote for moving to GT2.

I can't see GM funding an LMP effort again. "Unless" they have real desires to develop a mid-engined configuration for the C7.

whatever they decide i hope they will race against somebody. I've been to the last three sebrings and will go again next year, It's been pretty boring watching the two vettes cruise around. three years ago it was a race for all 12 hours when the astins were racing for real. Shame vipers and mustangs couldn't come up with something to run against the vettes.

That would be a sad day if GM quite racing....

Now that my C6 is broken in, it really is fun to drive. It is tight, fun to push through the corners and a blast to drive. I was at Sturgis this year with it and it was perfect up in the hills on the twistys.

I would be very disappointed if GM abandoned the GT1 class. I live for those races, and the butt kicking the Corvettes dish out every race!

Please GM, don't get out of this type of racing!

I'd like to see them in GT2 where the competition is the strongest. Porsche, Ferrari, Panoz, Viper.
I don't see them getting out of racing though

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom