Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Corvette C7 On Hold?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Interesting comments by Motor Trend Magazine:

CAFE bites: Corvette C7, RWD Impala on hold

Posted Today 12:52 PM by Angus MacKenzie, Motor Trend Magazine

Well placed sources have confirmed GM has put the next generation C7 Corvette program on hold, pending a review of the impact of the 35mpg CAFE laws due to come into effect in 2020.

The problem for GM is that while 35mpg is the target for 2020, automakers have no idea what the transitional fuel consumption targets are in the interim. In other words, they have no idea how they should be planning to get from today's CAFE number to 2020's. Transitional fuel consumption targets are not expected to be finalized until the end of 2009.

The C7 is not the only GM program on hold because of a lack of clarity over how automakers will be expected to get to 35mpg by 2020: The rear-drive Zeta-based Chevy sedan (which now may or may not be called Impala) is also on the back-burner. GM still wants to build the big Chevy, however, because the production volumes help the business case for the Cadillac DTS/STS replacement that will be built off the same basic architecture. Both cars will be built here in the U.S., not Australia.

As we outlined last year GM had been evaluating three different scenarios for the C7, due 2012 - an evolution of the current V-8 powered, rear drive layout; an all-new mid-engine design; and a car based around the smaller, lighter Kappa component set.

A strong faction inside GM had been pushing hard to make the C7 mid-engined. Corvette chief engineer Tom Wallace told me last year the mid-engine design had the potential to be more fuel efficient, primarily because it allowed cylinder de-activation without the vibration issues caused by the front engined car's long prop-shaft connection to the rear-mounted transaxle transmission.

However any idea of a mid-engined Corvette died with the uncertainty over interim fuel consumption targets, along with concerns that a mid-engine design would compromise GM's ability to offer an affordable convertible version (packaging a soft-top or a folding hardtop in a mid-engined car is tricky).

Wallace made a point of telling me last week at the Detroit Show that a regular LS2 powered Corvette with a 300lb weight reduction would deliver the same performance as a 505-hp Z06. Reading between the lines, that suggests we should be prepared for a C7 that's evolutionary rather than revolutionary, with a focus on reduced mass rather than increased horsepower.

Wallace made a point of telling me last week at the Detroit Show that a regular LS2 powered Corvette with a 300lb weight reduction would deliver the same performance as a 505-hp Z06.
What??? Doesn't that sound just a weee bit generous?

"So in other words..." If there was a Z06 with two passengers with a total body weight of 500lbs, they would lose a race against a stock LS2 vette with a single driver weighing 200 lbs??? I find that somewhat hard to believe.

What??? Doesn't that sound just a weee bit generous?

"So in other words..." If there was a Z06 with two passengers with a total body weight of 500lbs, they would lose a race against a stock LS2 vette with a single driver weighing 200 lbs??? I find that somewhat hard to believe.
I think the C-7 will be designed with only one seat.;)

Between CAFE 2020 and losing $38B last year, I'd say everything except mass sales econoboxes are on hold right now. There has to be a lot of 35 mpg minis sold to offset the Vette, but more importantly the mass market SUVs etc. that GM must sell. The times, they are a changing.

I've been waiting for a mid-engine Vette since the 2or3 rotor wankel was prototyped in the early 70's. Love to see one, even if it couldn't match the accelleration of today's Z06. As for the mid-engine convertible problem, check out a 01-05 Toyota MR2. Let's face it, with CAFE stds. and the upward spiral of HP figures, we've got to be nearing a tipping point. Not that I'm ready to buy a $75k car, anyway, but the thought of sharing the road with a yahoo in a 600+HP stock new car is about as pleasant as the common cell-phone distracted yahoo in a big SUV. Bigger is not always better. Or more HP, wider tires, etc.
"The times, they are a changing". Let's hope so, for the better.

My gut feelin is that IF there is a c7 it'll be 2012.IF GM makes it that long.Can't have billion dollar losses year after year .Only the Gov't can do it.

While at the Chicago Auto Show last week, one of the engineers who works at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant for Cadillac told me that just the week before the show, GM officially placed a hold on almost all engine developement.

High performance engines like the LS-3 and LS-7 and I suspect supercharged power plants like the Northstar in the XLR-V are all at a standstill pending the decisions outlined by Angus' above.

the parties over.

We'll be enjoying the c6 a little longer and thats ok with me..

Lightweight...more expensive with the same power as the ls3 sounds about where high performance is going to be for the c7. (and thats if we're lucky) big bucks too I'm sure..

the parties over.

We'll be enjoying the c6 a little longer and thats ok with me..

Lightweight...more expensive with the same power as the ls3 sounds about where high performance is going to be for the c7. (and thats if we're lucky) big bucks too I'm sure..

The Shark lasted from '68 to '82 so a long run has precedence.

Could the current Z06 be the last of the bowtie 427s? If so, they'll be the "hemicudas" of the 2030 Barrett-Jackson.;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL

...finally, a turbo diesel in my future;worship

I think that it is too early to be concerned over the future of the Vette.
My C6 gets 30-31 MPG, on Interstate trips to Bowling Green. The coming 35 MPG CAFE standards will be averaged over the Chevy fleet. So a hybred Cobalt would benefit Corvettes, to maintain a respectable level of performance. The Vette engineers will come-up w/ a solution, as always. We just have to watch the bean-counters in Detroit. :eek:hnoes

Gburg

Between CAFE 2020 and losing $38B last year, I'd say everything except mass sales econoboxes are on hold right now. There has to be a lot of 35 mpg minis sold to offset the Vette, but more importantly the mass market SUVs etc. that GM must sell. The times, they are a changing.

I don't want to inject any political rhetoric here, but the other day I was looking over the Clinton and Obama websites as they regarded energy policy, and in Barack Obama site he states "He will put more pressure on domestic automakers to raise fuel economy" Even though he says he'll help, I have to ask, How much more pressure can the american auto industry endure before imploding? You can't have a five ton truck, not be a five ton truck. Why does japan keep coming up with different technology and hitting us over the head with it. Never the less, I would really be sadden to see the LS- engines be discontinued although mabye a rotary,diesel or some other design engine IS in the corvettes future. The only thing constant in life is change. Hope it's on our side this time.:ugh

I don't want to inject any political rhetoric here, but the other day I was looking over the Clinton and Obama websites as they regarded energy policy, and in Barack Obama site he states "He will put more pressure on domestic automakers to raise fuel economy" Even though he says he'll help, I have to ask, How much more pressure can the American auto industry endure before imploding? You can't have a five ton truck, not be a five ton truck. Why does japan keep coming up with different technology and hitting us over the head with it. Never the less, I would really be sadden to see the LS- engines be discontinued although maybe a rotary,diesel or some other design engine IS in the corvettes future. The only thing constant in life is change. Hope it's on our side this time.:ugh

I agree with you so much that I've started a thread in the edge. I think that is where my response belongs.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=883172#post883172

gm putting hold on all sale of 2015.!!!

dealers not to sell any 2015 vets. problems with rear brake cables attachments, and air bag connection to steering wheel.
Hold of Vets built at BG 2000 & 800 shipped to dealers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom