Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette classifications help

P

PNW75Coups

Can anyone please clarify the different corvette clasifications. Recently purchased my first vette. A 1975 Stingray. I have the numbers matching motor but not in the car. I am wondering what the different classisifcations mean and how to properly identify my specific car.
It has a high performance small block 350 rated at 400HP. I have included pics.
The guy I bought it from..although he had someone do a really top notch restoration 90%, he didnt know the cars clasification.

I am referring to the L classifications and the C classifications

Your help greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the :CAC

Your car is a C3, meaning the third major design of the car. The C6 is the current design.

Your original engine could have been a L-48 (standard engine) or L-82 (optional 350). Here's a page about 1975 Corvettes from the Model Center, right here on this site.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c3/1975/75prod.html

:w

Another picture...

Getting used to working this site. My 75 Coupe

the L-82 was 205 HP and the L-48 was less there were no 400Hp Vettes in 1975 the last 400+ HP was in 1971 until the ZO6 topped it 2002

nice clean car

She's a sweetie!

This motor is way far from stock. I do have the original block but it is out of the car. This motor was built by a speed shop near Seattle. Top quality everything! Aluminum heads, big Eddelbrock, I have been told 10:5 to 1 compression but I have not tested yet. Rebuilt turbo 400, new suspension front to back/left to right. Wiring harness, vacuum system, powder coated headers, big comp cam but I have no paperwork on which one. All the body work..t top frames have all been cleaned up..metal replaced, new seals. I waited for this one for many years. Been dreaming about it since I was a kid. Had her at 115 the other day heading down the coast...purring like a kitten with half a pedal left but I didnt have my depends with me so i backed off

Still trying to figure out how to tighten up the steering. A bit too much slop for my liking. Really squirly over 90mph. Looking for options. Thinking about one of those high dollar front end kits but will try to remedy at the steering box first and then some thinner front tires. Any feedback here also greatly appreciated.

I appreciate the help!

the C3 or Shark tends to get a little squirrelly at speed try a indy pace car spoiler in the front and rear it should help the high speed stability.

There were no "C" designations on Corvettes before the new car came out in 1984. During all the media hoopla over those cars, the C4 designation began to be bandied about in the press after they wore out the terms "new" and "next generation" when writing about the cars. Not long after that, the "C" began to be stuck on everything.

The straight axle cars are Classics and became C1. 1953-1962 models.
The Mid Years or Sting Rays are C2. 1963-1967
Sharks are C3. 1968-1982
C4s are 1984-1996.
C5 - 1997-2004.
C6 - 2005 -

I suppose the next one will be C7 unless the media types think of something different. Whatever, 53 through 07, they're all Corvettes.

:)

the C3 or Shark tends to get a little squirrelly at speed try a indy pace car spoiler in the front and rear it should help the high speed stability.

I agree, like most cars of the era, they tend to get squirly and lift at speed. Seriously consider the Pace Car spoilers as suggested or keep it below 70. Also lower the suspension.

The "Corvette Black Book," is an excellent reference book for all Corvette enthusiasts. Suggest calling the National Corvette Museum at 1-800-53-VETTE to order one. www.corvettemuseum.com to order on-line.

Zippy :) :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom