Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Corvette Engineers Create High-tech Auto Sunscreen

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette Engineers Create High-tech Auto Sunscreen

Former drag racer defies ‘crazy’ and makes hot new exterior on Corvette

2010-10-27
GM Media

WARREN, Mich.
– In an effort to produce lighter, more fuel-efficient and better handling models, Chevrolet Corvette features advanced materials such as carbon fiber.

Until now, exposed-weave carbon fiber, one of the coolest looks for fast, hot cars, was unavailable to consumers because the sun degrades the material on the exterior surface.

In fact, experts thought putting exposed carbon fiber on the outside of any retail car was nearly impossible. Painting over the carbon fiber was the only option. All that has changed due to an industry-first technology breakthrough: “sunscreen” for the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.

“Everyone said it couldn’t be done, and we were crazy for trying,” said Mark Voss, senior design engineer for the ZR1.

Undaunted, Voss and his team worked for three years on their own time to develop a glossy, UV-resistant clear coat that allows exposed carbon fiber to be used on the body of the car. It also shields the carbon fiber components from chips and scratches.

“Our challenge was finding a way to give our customers exposed-weave carbon fiber with the durability they have come to expect from a Corvette,” Voss said. “Other automakers have opted for fake attempts at a carbon-fiber look. With the Corvette ZR1, we wanted to give customers the real deal.”

Carbon fiber on the Corvette emerged from the technology transfer between the production Corvette and the Corvette C6.R that race in the American Le Mans Series. Carbon fiber reduces weight and improves stiffness compared to steel. Carbon fiber is approximately one-fifth the weight of steel and one-third the mass of traditional composite panels. That means a lighter, more fuel-efficient vehicle with a lower center of gravity for better handling on the road and on the race track.

For a consumer vehicle, exposed-weave carbon fiber, with its honeycombed appearance, offers the fuel efficiency of painted carbon fiber, but has a unique aesthetic.

The ZR1 features exposed-weave carbon fiber on the roof panel, roof bow, rocker moldings, front fascia splitter, and the underside of the hood. The ZR1 has carbon fiber floor panels as well, although not in the exposed-weave format. For the Corvette Z06, carbon fiber fenders and floor panels come standard with an optional package that includes splitters, rockers and roof panels.

Voss, a former drag racer, confirmed car nut, and incessant tinkerer says his passion for all things automotive fuels his imagination. “When I’m not at work with my Chevrolet colleagues developing new technologies, I’m at home working on one of my cars in the pole barn,” he said.

Voss’ “pole barn” is just one hoist shy of being a full-blown automotive shop. The heated and furnished 1,800-square-foot outbuilding includes car tech essentials such as a metal fabrication station. He has owned more than 50 cars in his lifetime; his current classic favorites being a 1979 Corvette and 1972 Chevrolet Blazer.

About Chevrolet

Chevrolet is a global automotive brand, with annual sales of about 3.5 million vehicles in more than 130 countries. Chevrolet provides consumers with fuel-efficient, safe and reliable vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, spirited performance and value. In the U.S., the Chevrolet portfolio includes: iconic performance cars, such as Corvette and Camaro; dependable, long lasting pickups and SUVs, such as Silverado and Suburban; and award-winning passenger cars and crossovers, such as Malibu, Equinox and Traverse. Chevrolet also offers "gas-friendly" solutions, such as the upcoming 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco model that is expected to deliver up to an estimated 40 mpg highway, and 2011 Chevrolet Volt that will offer 25-50 miles of electric driving and an additional 310 miles of extended range with the onboard generator (based on GM testing). Most new Chevrolet models offer OnStar safety, security, and convenience technologies including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response, and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models, fuel solutions, and OnStar availability can be found at 2011 Cars, SUVs, Trucks, Crossovers & Vans | Chevrolet.

###

• Admin
I think I remember reading somewhere that the "sunscreen" additive for the clearcoat is outrageously expensive, something to the tune of $20,000 per gallon before dilution.

The real answer may vary.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 04' commerative eddition Z06 have a small exposed carbon fiber strip on the hood between the stripes?

• Admin
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 04' commerative eddition Z06 have a small exposed carbon fiber strip on the hood between the stripes?
It was a decal.

Thanks for correcting me on that,I always thought it was real. It was or is a carbon fiber hood though isn't it? Either way, its a great looking corvette.

Thanks for correcting me on that,I always thought it was real. It was or is a carbon fiber hood though isn't it? Either way, its a great looking corvette.

Yes, the hood on the Z16/Z06 IS carbon fiber construction. It's so light that it really feels weird when you open/close it...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom