Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette friends looking out for each other at Christmas time

Mike Terry

Corvette
63 SWC and 67 Coupe F/S 54 Corvette NFS
I am not sure my wife would say Thanks but I want to thank a Forum member BowTyeGuy for thinking of me this Christmas. You see, BowTyeGuy sent me an e-mail at the end of last week and sent me a link to a Craigs list artical about a 54 Corvette project car F/S. I sent the guy an e-mail right away (in the morning time) and did not get an answer till late that same evening at which time the guy called me. The seller and I talked for about 30 min. and he told me all about the car. Saying that it is all orginial and all there 100% except for the ingition shielding. But the engine and trans are not in the car but have been rebuilt. It has an Al Knock interior and Al put the seat covers on and the carpet is still in the box, the vert top needs redone but it also has a hard top that is like new that goes with it. The car was put in the garage in 1967 and has been setting in a garage all this time. All the gauges have been redone and so has the radio. The side windows are in the original bag (bag not in good shape but original) that they came in when new. The jack and handle are in the trunk. He also said that everything that is not on the car (like rear bumpers)and that should be is in boxs and it is all there. Well we agreed on a price but he said he had 2 friends wanting the car and had bugged him for years to sell it to them:confused :confused. Well come to find out they don't have the $$$ nor the talent to redo the diamond in the rough :rotfl :W. This guy put me off for 3 day on pulling the triger and saying the car is yours :confused. Finally last night I told him SH-t or get off the pot, are you going to sell me the car or not. I told him I would send him a deposit today (Monday) so now I got to go to the bank this morning and would pay the balance when I pick the car up next week weather permitting, Take it or Leave it I told him. That is the best I can do. Finally he said The Car Is Yours
lol.gif
:upthumbs. I have never seen someone that wanted to sell something so bad and was offered what he wanted for it but would not sell it. He even told me he needed the $$$, so like what took you so long to say SOLD? Oh well it is a done deal and I will be doing a $$$$ transfer this morning for the deposit on the car and will have my friend take his tractor and dig out my trailer (all the snow) so I can get to it and get ready to head east next week to pick up the diamond in the rough. I still have not figured out how to post pic but I will take plenty when I pickup the car and will have Vette Daddy post the pic for me. He (VetteDaddy) will be going with me to NJ to pickup the diamond in the rough. Again all this on picking up the car depends on the weather between Indiana and NJ the first part of next week. Anyway I just wanted to say THANKS to BowTyeGuy for thinking of me and sending me the e-mail about the car. I just bought myself my Christmas Present. Probably the only Christmas present I will get this year. So Merry Christmas to all and may you all get what you want for Christmas. Don't forget the reason for the season and remember our troops who will not be with there families who are protecting us so we can do what we do every day
patriot.gif
thumbsup.gif
:w
Below is a link to show what the car will look like when finished.
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/cars.1954_Chevrolet_Corvair.html
Merry Christmas to all and to all GOOD NIGHT.

VERY GOOD INDEED! Good luck with, 1. the weather, 2. the trip to get it, 3. finding everything and making sure it's all there, 4. the trip home, and 5. getting it all put back together again! I'm finding that I'm a little jealous because it sounds like a fun project and I wish I lived closer so that I could watch it progress from time to time. Have fun, take your time, and enjoy the heck out of it when it's back on the road again.
Andy :w

What a find. Good luck on your purchase. Look around where the car is stored in case a part or two is laying on the floor in a corner.
Take some photos of the 54 as it sits now for posting.
I look forward to your progress photos. :w

The guy I am buying it from has several extra carbs, master cyl. fuel pumps and other parts that I bought as well, all new still in original boxs. I will be selling some of the parts that I will not need after I convert the Vette to a Corvair. But I will deal with that later. First thing is to get it home to Indiana next week, weather permitting.

Mike, congrats on the find and kudos to BowTyeGuy for locating it and letting you know. As far as the guy not pulling the trigger quickly, there was probably some sentimental value, after all, he had owned it quite some time.

If you'd like you can email pictures to me and I will post them for you.

Here are the pictures from the Craigslist ad.

3n63ma3le5V05Z25U1ace632ae5e9cc5214e2.jpg

3k93m63o65O35Q35U1ace980edad55bdc1765.jpg

3k93m53pb5Y65O45R1ace897056b90dec1a5b.jpg

3n13k53o75O45T15W2ace1297197b44a010a3.jpg

Thanks Tom for posting the pic. Weather permitting I will be going out Monday the 27th to get it.

Saw the weather forcast this morning and the SNOW that we are to get over the weekend may very well stay south of us here in Indy so it looks like for now that the trip to get the 54 Vette is a go for Monday morning. :W :beer :rotfl

It's good to hear the "Corvette Brotherhood" is still alive and well, albeit somewhat diminishing. :beer

Santa has made his visit early!!

Neat project Mike.

And I love your Corviar 'fastback' idea. I have always loved that car.

The "Nomad" wagon has been replicated, but I have never seen the Corvair.

Have a great Christmas Day. Now you will be like a kid with a new train set.....can't wait to get it set up and going.

Looks like a great car to build. I hope you have good weather for the recovery trip.

Tom

It will be a very interesting build. 53 Blue Flame (Brett) will be building one at the same time. We will be helping each other. Easier when you have 2 people sometimes. Probably won't start till spring. There will be a lot for me to take off my 54 and sell before I get started.

Will you be doing the both builds at Brett's?

Tom

Tom, yes we will be doing both builds at Bretts. He has a couple of cars he has to finish before we get started in the Motorama Cars. It will be spring sometime before we get started. There will be plenty of pic taken and posted for all to see.

They are calling for 12 to 18" of snow where the 54 Vette is on Sunday and monday. I have friends who live out that way who are watching the weather for me and will keep me posted.If they get that kind of snow storm I will be setting it out here in my warm home in Greenwood In. I will know more Sunday evening when my friends call me back with a weather update.

I have several friends and people keeping me updated on the weather in NJ where the 54 Vetteis located. For now it looks like the trip to get the 54 Vette is delayed for a day or so because of weather. They are expecting Blizzard conditions with snow maybe getting as much as 12" to 18" or 24" in some places. Maybe a Tuesday departure would be best. We will see.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom