Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Museum Expansion in the Works

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From the Bowling Green Assembly Plant's Performance Press:

July 28, 2006

The National Corvette Museum has selected the architectural firm of Sherman-Carter-Barnhart to develop a master plan for the Museum’s estimated 50,000 square-foot expansion. This expansion includes a library and archives, permanent Corvette Hall of Fame, a 75-seat Corvette Café, 400-seat Conference Center that can be divided into four classrooms, and a 5,000 square-foot education display/exhibit area. By creating space for educational exhibits and presentations, the added space will enable the museum to fulfill its founding vision - to be a gateway for all resources to the Corvette community.

Also planned are changes to the Museum Delivery prep and presentation area, additional parking, Corvette Store expansion, additional storage and other much needed developments. These proposed expansion projects will take place over the next several years.

The master plan will be unveiled at the Museum’s annual membership meeting on Saturday, September 2 at 1:30 p.m. As part of the 12th Anniversary Corvette Celebration festivities on Labor Day weekend. “We have been patient with our planning and conscientious of our financial obligations, and the timing to begin finalizing these exciting changes to the Museum is right,” states NCM Executive Director, Wendell Strode. “We are truly grateful for the support we have received toward our building campaign and expansion plans and look forward to sharing future fundraising results and progress as it continues to develop.”

The Museum kicked off the initial building campaign to help fund the proposed expansion at the 50th Anniversary Celebration in June of 2003. To date, the building campaign stands at over $2.6 million in pledges and donations.

The master plan will be unveiled at the Museum’s annual membership meeting on Saturday, September 2 at 1:30 p.m. As part of the 12th Anniversary Corvette Celebration festivities on Labor Day weekend. “We have been patient with our planning and conscientious of our financial obligations, and the timing to begin finalizing these exciting changes to the Museum is right,” states NCM Executive Director, Wendell Strode. “We are truly grateful for the support we have received toward our building campaign and expansion plans and look forward to sharing future fundraising results and progress as it continues to develop.”

When we were in Bowling Green for Cruisefest this past June, I could have sworn I saw a display regarding the planned expansion. Should be really cool when it's done!

The one thing I haven't heard, and which I hope will be revealed when the Master Plan is unveiled next Saturday, is a likely timeline for when this expansion will be complete.

-Patrick

NCM Expansion

Does anyone know how much has been raised so far? How about the grant that the City of Bowling Green applied for to help with the cost? I visited the NCM on 13 June 2003 to pick up a Black/Black Coupe which we call "Maria".

I believe that the NCM has somthing under 2 million at this point. The cost for the entire expansion pland is now over 12 million and will probably rise some more. I have not heard much about the status of the grants that are available.

The NCM has a DVD that is available to club Museum Ambassadors that outlines the plan and what the options are for the future in terms of what gets built first. Wendell Strode narrates it and it's professionally produced.

$2.3 million+ at current time

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom