Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette wander

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
My 80 has been rebuilt with lots and lots of new parts. Also new tires. But it takes two hands to drive it and every once in a while it wants to 'take off for the borrow pit'. I have heard about "corvette wander". My mechanic has a 70 and said his kinda does that too. Would the Steeroids rack and pinion mod nullify this take off for the borrow pit/corvette wander? Or is there something else we should do to make it more realxing to drive with no steering supprises?

I would defiantly have a professional that knows what there doing look at the alignment and rear trailing arm bushings. Don’t let just any shop do the alignment or even put it up on a rack if there not custom on working on C3 Corvettes. I have heard some stories of shops bending the strut rod because they don’t know how to align the rear of the car. Worn trailing arm bushings will act a lot like what you’re describing causing the rear of the car to wonder. If you plan on going with the steeroids package I suggest at least checking out the above first.
Brian

My '73 is dead bone stock in the steering dept. and tracks as well as any modern car. No tendancy to wander.

Have yours checked out as suggested above to see what's wrong.

I would defiantly have a professional that knows what there doing look at the alignment and rear trailing arm bushings. Don’t let just any shop do the alignment or even put it up on a rack if there not custom on working on C3 Corvettes. I have heard some stories of shops bending the strut rod because they don’t know how to align the rear of the car. Worn trailing arm bushings will act a lot like what you’re describing causing the rear of the car to wonder. If you plan on going with the steeroids package I suggest at least checking out the above first.
Brian
Take it to someone that Knows what they are doing!!!!!!!There are too many Toe and Go Artists out there and can Screw it up Big Time!!:upthumbs

junk!!

I am curious as the number of miles on your 1980?

Also just for information..
The type of roads you're on can make your 1980 act squirely too. If the road has ruts from trucks, with the 60 series tires it may want to "Climb" up the ruts and give the feeling it is bolting left or right, as it "climbs" out.

I know from experience that my midyears drove different than my first C3 1980,,, it was the first one with the wider tire too. The more tense and firm I got with the steering wheel the harder it seemed to control. I learned to relax and everything seemed to work out, of course those asphalt roads with the RUTS still drove me crazy ;)

It very well could be something mechanical, I just wanted to add a little more information before the wallet comes out...

Good Luck and enjoy the :Steer

Bud

Yes, my 1980 had the same problem. This is a common theme for older C3's that have changed hands over the decades.

It is more than likely a steering box issue. All you need to do is have your existing box REBUILT. Not a new one or refurbed parts but have your existing unit rebuilt. There is a person on this site who is quite well known for steering box rebuilds and has a kick@ss track record. Go to the Archives. I had a local, old school guy re-do mine. 100% better. Save your $2000 of steeroids. You'll be surprised at how well the 80 can perform with just a steering box, new bilstein Sport shocks & rear composite spring.

Just sayin'

He's what I noticed on mine. I installed 2.55 X 60 tires and noticed it started to wander, before the tire change it was fine. Went back to the alignment shop and had it checked again, found it was perfect, so I switched back to the old 70 series tires and the wander was gone. So as Rare81 stated for me it was the crown in the roads along with the 60 tires that created the wandering feeling. Now if you are not running 60 series tires, have the alignment checked, steering box or front end parts looked at.

I agree with what everyone else said above. Have everything checked out by a competent shop that can do a 4 wheel thrust alignment. Our 1980's don't quite look like anything that most shops see nowadays. Sometimes the shims in the rear end will get worn to the point where shops won't even know they are there (or can't break 'em free), thus they don't replace them and will try to make corrections elsewhere to 'fix' the issue.

As for the Steeroids, I really like mine, however there's nothing really wrong with a good condition recirculating ball setup such as what you've got.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom