Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette X pipe

WantaVette

Corvette
Torch Red LT4 Coupe
I have the muffler elims on my car but the sound is not quite strong (loud)enough for me. A buddy of mine has a 96 cobra and he has an off-road x pipe. It was a bolt on kit that mounts right up to the stock headers and replaces the cats. Does anybody make a piece like this for our cars. We dont have emissions in Florida so I dont have to worry about that.

Also, does anyone have muffler elims and removed cats on an LT4. If so how does it sound?

Our '96's have an h pipe which is located in front the resonator. I had the muffler delete but didn't like the sound so I had my fabricator remove the resonator and put an X pipe in it's place leaving the h pipe in tact. Also, I added Magnaflow mufflers which I am pleased with.

NC-LT4 said:
Our '96's have an h pipe which is located in front the resonator. I had the muffler delete but didn't like the sound so I had my fabricator remove the resonator and put an X pipe in it's place leaving the h pipe in tact. Also, I added Magnaflow mufflers which I am pleased with.

NC-LT4,
I'm thinking of installing an x-pipe on mine (eliminating resonator). I have the Magnaflows on mine...so what can I expect as far as sound/performance by making this change? What differences did you notice when you replaced the resonator w/ x-pipe?

Thx,
Jeff

The resonator does a lot of muffling in our cars.... If you want the car to sound really mean, you can eliminate it and use the magnaflows, but don't expect it to be quiet at all!

In my opinion, tossing the resonator will make highway driving almost un-bearable :(

Jeff,
I got to the x pipe from a different direction. I went from muffler delete with the resonator to the Magnaflows with the x pipe and resonator delete. I would say that with my current configuration that it is quieter than with the resonator and no mufflers. With muffler delete it was harshly noisey at all speeds.
I like the the current sound and would recommend it for someone who doesn't mind a "not quiet" vehicle.
I also have 4.10 gears so that I am running a little higher rpm.
BTW, I love your car. What color is your interior? The magnaflows look very good with the black. I think that they are a little too bright for my silver vehicle. If I could have gotten some kind of black finished mufflers I would have.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jim

Vettelt193 said:
The resonator does a lot of muffling in our cars.... If you want the car to sound really mean, you can eliminate it and use the magnaflows, but don't expect it to be quiet at all!

In my opinion, tossing the resonator will make highway driving almost un-bearable :(

Good to know. I guess my question is, what are the benefits? (if any)

NC-LT4 said:
Jeff,
I got to the x pipe from a different direction. I went from muffler delete with the resonator to the Magnaflows with the x pipe and resonator delete. I would say that with my current configuration that it is quieter than with the resonator and no mufflers. With muffler delete it was harshly noisey at all speeds.
I like the the current sound and would recommend it for someone who doesn't mind a "not quiet" vehicle.
I also have 4.10 gears so that I am running a little higher rpm.
BTW, I love your car. What color is your interior? The magnaflows look very good with the black. I think that they are a little too bright for my silver vehicle. If I could have gotten some kind of black finished mufflers I would have.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jim

Jim,
1st off, thx for the comments on my car.:) My interior is all black.
Secondly, boy would I like to do the 4:10's on mine. IMO...it is already dangerously quick so I could only imagine....

I'm not averse to my car being louder at all as long as it is not popping and backfiring etc...Right now it semi-loud yet it is clean throughout the rpm range and down.
I'm aware of the process that got you to where you are now so I can understand that it would be difficult for you to give me an idea of what adding an x-pipe to my current setup would really accomplish.
I'd love a bit more roar out of my car but at what expense ...well.....?
I have an exhaust guy right up the street from where I work who can fabricate an x-pipe for me for next to nothing. I suppose I could just try it and see what I think.

As far as LSA is concerned, my car is already too loud but hey I'm the one that drives this baby and I love to hear it run!!!!

Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom