Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvettes are hated?

ChildishEgg

When ever I talk about the greatness of corvettes with other people they always shoot me down saying that american sports cars are garbage. Comparing corvette to lamborghini and honda. Why are corvettes and american ccars in general hated so much? I just dont understand.

My guess would be because those individuals have never driven one.

Like Harley Davidson in the bike world, people wo have never ridden one have strong opinions about the brand...unfounded opinions.

When ever I talk about the greatness of corvettes with other people they always shoot me down saying that american sports cars are garbage. Comparing corvette to lamborghini and honda. Why are corvettes and american ccars in general hated so much? I just dont understand.
They are upset because you have a Corvette and they have a Honda.

I think a lot of it has to do with quality as compared to the competition and automotive journalist reviews over the previous generations. I also think a lot of it has to do with some of the previous GM models that were absolute garbage like the Chevy Vega and a lot of the trash that came out of Detroit in the 1980s.

That stigma has never worn off and once it sets in, and it's reinforced in the media, it's damn near impossible to extinguish no matter how good the current or future products are.

Even though Corvette performance has always been impressive against the competition (with maybe the exception of the late 1970s Corvettes), the quality hasn't always been that great in comparison to the Corvette's competition.

In many ways, it's unfair to compare a Corvette to a Lamborghini as the Lamborghini has always been a coach-built automobile costing hundreds of thousands of dollars more than a Corvette.

When it comes to Honda - the Asian automotive manufacturers really got a strong foot hold over Detroit, when Detroit started churning out absolute rubbish.

The Asians learned from Detroit's mistakes, mastered them, and flooded the market in a way that Detroit has barely ever been able to overcome in terms of market share.

What Detroit did in the 1980s has cost them dearly...

GM has always been about mass producing "units" in order to achieve profitability and for decades, quality took a back seat. It wasn't until the competition started introducing their high quality, comparably priced products that GM and the rest of Detroit started to wake up.

Now, GM and Detroit will always be trying to play catch-up. They finally recognize the value of quality, but their still willing to sacrifice it to make a profit and the investors happy.

In some ways, I wish the Corvette was more of a limited production automobile. Stop trying to undercut the competition with price and start trying to introduce a level of quality that exceeds the competition that's competitively priced.

Last edited:
I have had three Corvettes over the past 46 years. I consider myself a novice as far as Corvettes are concerned but for the money you can't find a better sports car. Let people complain about Corvettes. Just tell them "eat your heart out."

Last edited:
I haven't heard a discouraging word from anybody about my Corvette. Nothing but "nice car" and real interest!

I have also never had a bad thing said about my 2019.

I have had three Corvettes over the past 46 years. I consider myself a novice as far as Corvettes are concerned but for the money you can't find a better sports car. Let people complain about Corvettes. Just tell them "eat your heart out."
Hypercar companies like Koenigsegg and Hennessey started with Corvette engines. So most cars people love have their roots with Corvette's.

Wait till the Europeans and the rest of the world get a load of the 2023 "Z" Vettes when they're running roughshod over the Lambos and Ferraris. The moaning will be deafening.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom