Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coupe Rear Window Install

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
Some may remember I was not happy with the fit of the rear window on my coupe. I could not get the window trim to fit properly - the glass seemed to sit up too high. After trying various methods suggested here to compress the sealer, I gave up. Drove the car and that was it.

Last night I removed the window and cleaned up the black tar like stuff that is supposed to seal and hold the window in place. It is in the shape of a rope. Maybe mine was just too thick. Need some new stuff.

Looking for a source for a product that will do the job. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Sounds like someone installed the window last time with butyl tape that was too thick; GM NEVER used butyl tape, although some glass shops use it as a cheap short-cut to doing the job right.

The window was originally installed with pumpable Thiokol adhesive, which has been replaced since by modern pumpable urethane adhesives; a local glass shop can clean and prime the body opening and glass and install it for you - they do windshields the same way all day long.

:beer

Thanks for the info John. Maybe that is the best way to go. Not too sure I like the idea of them hanging all over the rear of my recent paint job though. I will check with a local glass shop that I know of rather than the big national chain type. Thanks again.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom