Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coupe Rear Window Install

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
Some may remember I was not happy with the fit of the rear window on my coupe. I could not get the window trim to fit properly - the glass seemed to sit up too high. After trying various methods suggested here to compress the sealer, I gave up. Drove the car and that was it.

Last night I removed the window and cleaned up the black tar like stuff that is supposed to seal and hold the window in place. It is in the shape of a rope. Maybe mine was just too thick. Need some new stuff.

Looking for a source for a product that will do the job. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
Sounds like someone installed the window last time with butyl tape that was too thick; GM NEVER used butyl tape, although some glass shops use it as a cheap short-cut to doing the job right.

The window was originally installed with pumpable Thiokol adhesive, which has been replaced since by modern pumpable urethane adhesives; a local glass shop can clean and prime the body opening and glass and install it for you - they do windshields the same way all day long.

:beer

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
Thanks for the info John. Maybe that is the best way to go. Not too sure I like the idea of them hanging all over the rear of my recent paint job though. I will check with a local glass shop that I know of rather than the big national chain type. Thanks again.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom