Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

coupe vs convert.

T

tlmarks

How close are the performance numbers (braking, cornering, body flex, etc.) between the coupe and the convertable? Are the differances that notacable?

Welcome to the :CAC

To answer your question, wow - lot's of variables here... Most of the time, the gearing was not the same between a coupe and convertible but lets say they were both 6 speed 3.45 rear end geared cars...

I would put the vert, 1 or 2 tenths slower 0-60 and 2-3 tenths slower in the quarter mile with a lower top speed (maybe 5mph)

can you feel the difference? Not really...

I have coupes and a convertible and enjoy each for what they are - I do think my next Vette will be an 89 6 speed Vert though - Now if I can just find that unique color ;)

Hope this helps, and again, Welcome to the :CAC

Having driven both, I can say that the convertible has more flex in the body. I don't have any numbers for you, but the coupe and convertible corner pretty much the same, and the braking is the same too. I wish I could have a convertible, but my car is a daily driver and I need the practicality of the additional storage area. My 1990 convertible had the optional hardtop, and when it was installed the car was very solid and quiet, so can I suggest you consider buying a hard top if you go the convertible route.

Convert vs Coupe

I'm with Tyrel's comments on chassis flex. I drive a stock 91 convertible several days a week and a modified 92 coupe several days a week. The convertible feels like a flexible flyer sled compared to the modified coupe (4 point roll bar, coilovers, bigger tires/wheels, heavier susp bushings/bars, lowered). The convertible also has more cowl shake and more rattles...

With all that said, if it came down to having just one car, could live with the zero real storage, and I lived in an area that had some reasonable convertible weather -- I would get the convertible. They also hold their value better than the coupes, but you will quickly see that if you are shopping about.

Try to get a vert with the glass back window, although you can retrofit this type of top to any of the C4 convertibles.

I agree 110% about a vert w/ a hardtop - might be tighter than a coupe as it (vert's) also have the "X" brace underneath
however, that defeats the point of having a vert - you want to be able to drive her topless :upthumbs

Hey Mangusta - does your 91 vert have the retrofitted rear glass window?? I am considering this for my 93 - Thanks :beer

I think coupes and convertibles have a weight difference of less than 100# so that should not make too much of a performance difference. Gear ratios were different between coupe and convertible, manual and automatics, and even the "Performance Axle" ratios were different depending on the car and transmission. Depending on the model year, certain suspension options were not available on verts so coupes with these certain options will have better cornering attributes.

Verts do flex some but install the optional hardtop and the car becomes stiffer thatn the coupe. When I put my hardtop on my 92 Vert, all of the squeaks and rattles disappear! My 87 coupe has a lot of "cowl shake" with the targa top removed.

Braking should be about the same bewtween body styles, but some later C4's had larger front rotors that improved braking performance. A simple change to a peformance brake pad will greatly improve braking performance in either body style.

In stock form, C4's have enough power and good handling to give you a big grin. Once you start adding a few mods, it just gets better :D:D

Manual tranny C4's are a lot of fun to drive but autos won't kill your right leg in heavy traffic. I love my vert when the top is down, but lack of storage space can be a real PITA (took it across country for the 50th Caravan and had to pack very carefully).

Chris,

Yes, my 91 convertible does have a canvas top with the real glass back window. It is much nicer to look through than even new plexiglas is. The top goes up and down just as easily as the plexiglas version, too. Highly recommended as an upgrade...

steve

The glass rear window/top came with the car, but I have seen them for sale via recent Ecklers or Mid-America catalogs. The price is a bit higher than the soft window top, but is actually not too horrible.

Having installed two convertible tops previously by myself, make sure that you have a good shop lined up! Good luck.

For 88 the vert was rated at 240HP versus 245 for the coupe account more rectrictive mufflers (due to noise levels with the top down) but I didn't thing rigidity was a big issue with the x-brace, I don't notice it...

mangusta1969 said:
The glass rear window/top came with the car, but I have seen them for sale via recent Ecklers or Mid-America catalogs. The price is a bit higher than the soft window top, but is actually not too horrible.

Having installed two convertible tops previously by myself, make sure that you have a good shop lined up! Good luck.

Yeah - and even tougher if I wanted the whole assembly - in Ruby cloth like the factory top :(

When I first got the 95 last year I was impressed with the torque and handling. The more I drove it the more I realized the back end would feel unsettled when cornering on a bumpy road. Since we got the C5 the body flex is very noticable. On top of that it's the FRC which even stiffer than the C5 coupe. A little seat time in the C5 greatly exagerates the flex in the vert. I can feel the chassis flex entering my driveway and on inclines into shopping centers.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy driving this car. I think after a while you will notice the flex. Performance between coupe and vert should be similar. This is the first I've heard of different gears and ratios for coupe and vert, but maybe this was true of the early C4's and not the case for the LT1 powered cars. Weight is approximately 60 lbs different.

Personally, the flex bothers me enough that I will eventually replace the car. I would love to get a C6 vert in about three years. But will have to see how it goes. Perhaps a late model C5 vert instead. The benefit being a much stiffer chassis and a trunk with as much cargo volume with the top down as a C4 coupe. :)

Good luck in your search.

Leon

Gorgon said:
When I first got the 95 last year I was impressed with the torque and handling. The more I drove it the more I realized the back end would feel unsettled when cornering on a bumpy road.
Leon

If you want to get a quick iqualitative idea of your chassis flex, drive over a speed bump strip so only one side of the car then go over the strip again so both sides hit the strip at the same time.

On a C4 convertible, you can really feel and hear things working and moving when you hit it with one side of the car. Same bump, same speed, things are a lot quieter.

Do the same test with a car with reasonable torsional stiffness and there is no noticable difference in sound and it feels a lot smother when you hit the bump with one sideof the car only.

When you hit the strip with one wheel you are putting a torsional load into the chassis. When you hit it with both wheels at the same time, there is no torsional load and there is a bit bigger bump load.

Dick

depends what year were talking about. The first time I took my 94 vert to the dragstrip (stock) I was actually right there with the same year coups. With only a gear and cold air kit the car has run 13.20@105.91mph in the 1/4 mile on GSC's. I can't speak for other years but my 94 feels pretty solid compared to a few friends coups. Maybe the later years were put together a little better. The rear windows went from plastic to glass in 94. I have no rattles or cowl shake as mentioned in a couple replys here. I love having the top down on a nice day but there are alot of times I wish I had a coup, main issue is with a vert there is absolutely no storage space.
My advice is to figure out what you're going to use the car for. If you plan on modifying and going to the dragstrip alot you would obviously be better off with a coup for the simple reason you won't need a roll bar to run at NHRA santioned tracks. Of course you could always get a hardtop for the vert. -lol

thank you guys for the input. I have bought a 1992 convertible.

I have never driven a coupe, but I get alot of Smiles per mile with my 87 yellow vert.

I can live with the chassis flex for now, and will hopefully work on getting an engine brace to help in the future.

Have fun

Are there luggage racks available that look and work relatively well and don't detract from the future value of the car? We are looking at a 95 convertable, I don't know if we can live with the lack of storage space.

Oh Bill....but on those great Spring and Summer days and nights there is nothing like a vert!!!!!!!

Doc

Bill Wervey said:
Are there luggage racks available that look and work relatively well and don't detract from the future value of the car? We are looking at a 95 convertable, I don't know if we can live with the lack of storage space.

There was an RPO, V56----Carrier, Luggage (Convertible) , that went for about $140 when new. I've seen one luggage carrier on a C4 and it looked as good as a luggage carier can look on a sports car. Not bad looking.

I have no idea how durable they are, but being an RPO shouldn't hurt value much.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom