Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Couple of burnout movies

S

Scott81

Well, made a couple small burnouts, the bad part is some yahoo kept flappin' his big mouth by Brutus as he was video taping me, kind of ruins the moment. But, here's some tire killin' :D

Burnout 1
Burnout 2
68 Grand Sport This car has a custom tilt front end and a 383, he was running open pipes and I was running the STS baffles. Next time I'll run open pipes just so I can make more noise :D

Movies are about 1.1 to 1.5mb and you'll need Quicktime to play them.

It beginning (BEGINNING???) to **** me off that I haven't been able to do that yet Scott. :mad

Looks like you had some fun, but you shoulda spun 'em some more. What tires were you running?

_ken :w

Ken said:
It beginning (BEGINNING???) to **** me off that I haven't been able to do that yet Scott. :mad

Looks like you had some fun, but you shoulda spun 'em some more. What tires were you running?

It's beginning (BEGINNING???) to **** me off that we haven't been able to see you do that yet Ken. :L Still waiting for your movie. :D

It was fun being able to do that and not worry about the local police, from inside the car it seemed better than it turned out. Those are 225/70-15 BF Goodrich, not for long though if I keep that up :L I promise to do better next time :D

What the hell are you doing driving through the water box if they're street tires? That could lead to trouble for you, and I'm not talking about no traction. ;)

You should only need to water your tires if you're running some sort of slick, be it a street radial or a "race only" slick. Even then, follow the manufacturer's recommendations for how much heat to put into the tire.

And "dry hops" are unnecessary, the only add additional stresses the drivetrain. If you build your chassis to handle the strip, the manufacturers usually see no harm in dry hops though.

_ken's .02 ;)

Hey it was my first time, I was a virgin :D I didn't know that though, and I would think BFG recommends NOT racing with them :D let alone heating them up like that, after all they aren't that good of a choice for running on the track. I saw just about everyone was doing the water burnouts, so I figured what the heck it was fun. I really do need to install that B&M shifter and firm up the tranny shifting though too, I only ran it up to about 5500, and the 1-2 shifts were way too early.

Scott81 said:
Hey ... I didn't know that

Didn't you see this one?
DSCF0003.JPG

_ken :eek

Ken & Scott81,

I believe the water box serves the purpose of heating up your tires and getting the rubber sticky, slicks or street tires regardless. The water is simply a way to get the tires spining more easily.

As a "known" racer tip, it is advised to drive around the water box, then back into it. Racer tips say to keep your front tires dry (for obvious reasons...)

Next time I'm at the track I'll have the camera going. And...only about 6 days to the 150mph run video...

Evolution1980 said:
I believe the water box serves the purpose of heating up your tires and getting the rubber sticky

Obviously, but you need not perform the burnout with street tires by driving through the water.

As you say, rolling through the water reduces friction in order to allow you to spin the tires, but that same reduction in friction is carried a lot farther by the street tire than the slick. The street tire's grooves hold water and you stand a chance of losing control if you go through the water box with street tires.

But to each his own. ;)

Ken- geeze, I bet that C5 guy wasn't a happy camper. Good info on the water box, I was going to go around it but the 2 people I raced were amatuers like me and I didn't want them crashing into me since they pulled up at the same time I figured I'll just stay the heck out of the way...next time I'll just let them go. Wasn't that big of a deal as it was blazing hot out, I mean BLAZING HOT to the point that my big beak got pretty burned :D

Linwood- you need to move out here, you'd really enjoy it and the track is only 20 minutes away :D Florida does have it's bad points too, like bugs from hell, blue hairs by the billions, and don't forget heat/humidity high enough to melt cement....at least it feels that way.

Evolution1980- good info & can't wait to see the video!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom