Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Couple of Q's from a new B2K owner

89onlyZ51

Corvette
'87 B2K Vert #147
Hi,

I usually hang out on CF, but I'll be spending some time here since I am now the proud owner of an '87 CTTC conv. After picking her up, I have a couple of quick questions on maintenance:

1) Is there a trick to adding oil roadside? The oil fill cap doesn't even have room to unscrew with the intercooler mounted! I was able to add a qt through the dipstick tube, but that hardly seems optimal.

2) The Callaway Owners Manual mentions greasing the driveshaft of the turbo oil scavenge pump every 2,500 miles. Does anyone do this? Or, did this only apply to the obsolete power-steering mounted pump?

I'm also going to post another thread with some facts from the owner's manual that I hadn't seen before.

Thanks, and looking forward to hanging out with you guys!

89onlyZ51,

Welcome to the Callaway Owners Group and the CAC!!! :upthumbs

First... the obligatory how about some pics of your CTTC!...:L

Second, I always carry some small rags with me and should I require some oil I will use the rag to very gently nudge the driver's side intercoller while I unscrew and tilt the oil cap top since it gets trapped between the intercooler and the valve cover. I also carry a small long neck funnel to get the oil in with out spillage. And, I also need the rag to be able to maneuver the dipstick in/out without burning my arm.

As for the turbo oil scavenge pump, I'll have to refernce my owners manual. I do not recall that and obviously I have never done that. I've put 19K miles on my car over the last 6 years and have no issues with it, but I'll obviously have to check on that.

-Luigi
:cool

As Luigi said,

Welcome to Callaway Forum and to Callaway Ownership! :upthumbs

Did you buy TAC's yellow 1987 Convertible?? There are/were very few in the PNW - or did you "import one"? ;shrug

Post some pics if you have some - I will get a pic of how I add oil in my car without removing the intercooler. Yes, 6 qts, hopefully they only charged the past owner for 5 :W

Again, welcome! :beer

p.s. How about Funfest in IL??
...only a ~2,200 mi drive, no better way to enjoy your new Callaway :cool

Hi,

I usually hang out on CF, but I'll be spending some time here since I am now the proud owner of an '87 CTTC conv. After picking her up, I have a couple of quick questions on maintenance:

1) Is there a trick to adding oil roadside? The oil fill cap doesn't even have room to unscrew with the intercooler mounted! I was able to add a qt through the dipstick tube, but that hardly seems optimal.

My 88 did not have room to remove the oil fill cap either. I had to pull the intercooler to add oil, but on the bright side, it only takes a few minutes to do it. :beer All you need is a flat head screwdriver if youre in a bind

BTW what car did you pick up?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I bought #147 (the red '87 vert in the callaways for sale sticky), and "imported" it from LA.

I saw that yellow '87 (beautiful) last year at the XXX Corvette show in Issaquah, WA but didn't see it out this year.

Here are a few pics of it before I step in and make some minor mods to gain a little power and lose a little underhood temps.

cttc1.jpg

cttc2.jpg

cttc3.jpg

Looks like a super clean car!! Congrats on joining the Callaway fan club. There are many knowledgable people here ! I sent you a PM with a few questions on your 89 as I love 89's and really look for no option cars like yours :w Ike

Based on your location I suspected that was the car you purchased. That think looks clean!! Congrats. Youre gonna love it. :beer

RIght off, I can see why you cannot add oil the way I do - there is an emblem in the way :W

Do you have a pic of the oil fill cap, and which side it is on :cool

The oil fill is on the passenger's side toward the front of the motor. The pcv valve is towards the back, which I guess would provide a bigger whole than the dipstick!

No doubt!!!!! clean, Clean, CLEAN!!!!!!!!!! :cool

That is amazing!!!!!! Look at those seats!!!!!!!! :upthumbs

It seems to be a good, solid car, but it's not a garage queen. The interior was changed over from red to gray about 1 1/2 years ago. It looks great but has a lot of the usual C4 busted plastic stuff here and there. The car has also been resprayed its original color in the past, but it's a very good paint job and I don't see signs of accident damage. The records aren't complete, but my guess is it was done when the hardtop was acquired (not an option in '87). I suspect the original paint was a little faded because the car spent its life in hot, sunny states. You can also see some crazing on the ducts under the hood from the extra heat the turbosystem throws off. What a fun car, though!

The oil fill is on the passenger's side toward the front of the motor. The pcv valve is towards the back, which I guess would provide a bigger whole than the dipstick!

The 1989+ cars I have seen, have had their fill caps on the driver side, back towards the firewall.

Maybe a quick fix would be to change the sides of the covers? If that is possible (w/ the PCV and such) then it would be much easier in the future :cool

Hello and Welcome to the CAC - Callaway Forum!!!! I have #149. I also had #186 both had the oil fill cap on the drivers side and I only had to pull on the intercooler slightly to gain the clearance for removal of the cap. I see that in your photo the oil fill cap is not where it should be. I'm guessing but maybe while being serviced in the past the valve covers were reinstalled on the wrong side? I bet a quick call to Callaway Cars could clear that up. I will take a look at mine this evening. Good Luck with your nice new ride!!

So strange... my '91 has the oil fill on the drivers side as well.

-Luigi
:cool

Hello and Welcome to the CAC - Callaway Forum!!!! I have #149. I also had #186 both had the oil fill cap on the drivers side and I only had to pull on the intercooler slightly to gain the clearance for removal of the cap. I see that in your photo the oil fill cap is not where it should be. I'm guessing but maybe while being serviced in the past the valve covers were reinstalled on the wrong side? I bet a quick call to Callaway Cars could clear that up. I will take a look at mine this evening. Good Luck with your nice new ride!!

Thanks, I bet that's what happened since on "normal" '87-'89's the oil fill is on the passenger side. I'm building my list of questions for callaway so I can hit them all at once. But, in the meantime, I have to get my '89 sold!

Thanks, I bet that's what happened since on "normal" '87-'89's the oil fill is on the passenger side. I'm building my list of questions for callaway so I can hit them all at once. But, in the meantime, I have to get my '89 sold!

Fly to Funfest, all your questions can be answered there :upthumbs

Folks from the east, fly into Indy. :cool

From the west, many choose St. Louis:w

Wow...another '87 convertible over here. :beer Fantastic. I couldn't make XXX this year. We were on our way to W Yellowstone for Wild West Vette Fest.

The oil filler cap should be on the driver's side. I keep a long necked funnel tucked in under the hood by the windshield fluid reservoir. You should be able to get the cap off on the driver's side but it's impossible on the passenger side. When I had some work done by a local shop the mechanic reversed the valve covers because he couldn't remember which side was which. They reversed them back for me.

Your car looks fantastic! Hopefully we'll run into one another out here. Where are you located?

Any chance you would mine PM'g me the price you paid? I'm still...uh...selling mine if the price is right.

Hello 89onlyZ51, Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I went racing this past weekend and forgot about everything else. It does look like the valve covers were put back on the wrong side, but the thing that was bugging me was the emblem on the valve cover..... It must have been added after they were swapped. When you swap them back you could and or need to remove the emblem- it might contact the bottom of the passenger intercooler. Enjoy that Wonderful Callaway!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom