Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Courtesy Light Timer Repair

Bills money pit

Corvette
1981 corvette Red/Red
After many replies, from Bud, Dave L. and others concerning how to fix the courtesy delay timer, the repair is now complete and I wanted to share how I fixed the problem.
I removed the glove box and the orange timer case was in sight to the right near the post. I unplugged the timer, open the case and I could smell it had been hot recently. I could also see that the components could be replaced by someone more skilled than me. The resisters and other do-dads could be unsoldered and replaced by a person who could test each component.
I then drilled a small hole in the top of the glove box on the left so the toggle switch I was going to install would clear any obstructions. I then took a 3 feet piece of 16 ga wire and connected it to the toggle switch. I then stripped each white wire in the plug that connected to the delay timer. There are 5 wires in the plug and two of them are white. The 2 white wire are connected to the toggle switch. I soldered the toggle white wire to the plug white wires and wrapped each one with electrical tape. I then replaced the glove box and installed the fuse removed to protect the circuit while I stripped and soldered the wires. Once the courtesy/clock fuse was replace, the courtesy lights came on when the doors were opened and went out when they were closed. With both doors opened, I opened the glove box and turned the toggle to the off position and the courtesy lights went out as planned.
I hope this explanation helps another corvette owner who has the same problem.
Bill
Next problem: How to make the ignition key warning buzzer work. When the drivers door is opened and the key is in the ignition, a buzzer is sounded to remind the driver to remove the key. Any help to trouble shooting the problem will be appreciated. The seat belt buzzer does work!
Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom