Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cracked Gas Tank Liners 78-82

P

petroamp

I need help ;help. the polypropelene :confused. tank liner in my '78 has developed cracks and allowed corrosion to take place between the liner and the steel tank, forming pin holes. I've repaired the pin holes with solder & epoxy/fibreglass,but this is probably only a short term solution. As no-one makes these tanks and they are all eventually going to fail does anyone have a solution to this issue? Does POR15 provide a solution with their fuel tank repair kit or is there an aviation fuel tank repair we could use? So hopefully some one has an answer because sooner or later all us '78 to 82 owners are gona be walkin. :v :blow ;shrug

The only solution I know for you is to look for a good used tank.

Why nobody is making one...I don't know?

I agree, they need to as the age of these cars dictate a need for replacement items.

That's a good question - conventional steel tanks are a no-brainer, and there are lots of aftermarket replacements that will perform just as well as an original in a rear impact. The later Corvette tanks with the internal bladder were engineered specifically to get the car through the required rear impact test with no fuel leakage, and apparently none of the aftermarket suppliers are yet willing to step up to tooling up the bladder and the tank itself and accepting the potential liabililty issues if it doesn't perform to Federal test requirements as well as the originals - if they sold a replacement that didn't perform like the original in a rear impact, the lawyers would have a field day. An individual owner can replace the tank with anything he wants, but anyone manufacturing and selling a "replacement" has to go to the expense of certifying its crashworthiness and then standing behind its performance in the field - that's a big investment, and a bigger liability risk.
:beer

Really don't know if this will help, but, a company called Floats and Fuel Cells http://www.ffcfuelcells.com repairs Aircraft Fuel Cells for all kinds of aircraft.

The only thing I can't figure, is how to get the "insert" out of the tank (if that is what it is). For aircraft, generally we take the cell out and send it to them for repair.

Maybe they can help. Keep us informed.

Good luck,
Steve:w

petroamp said:
... So hopefully some one has an answer because sooner or later all us '78 to 82 owners are gona be walkin. :v :blow ;shrug

Does anyone know if the "78 to 82" tanks are all the same and interchangeable?

I recently spoke with a FuelSafe representative at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indianapolis about putting a fuel cell in a Corvette gas tank. He said that they do these kinds of things for vintage racers that require a stock looking tank.

He wouldn't quote an exact figure, but he guessed it would be "around" $1,500. That's about twice what I paid for a 22 gallon FuelSafe cell for my Corvette racecar.

This would have a bladder and foam installed in the original tank that you provide. The top of the tank would have to be changed to permit the new filler to be located at the top and to allow for changing the foam periodically. He didn't want to say how long the bladder or foam would last in an everyday driver. Some racing organizations require a new one every 5 years.
http://www.fuelsafe.com/CustomVintageRacingBladders.html

Ol Blue

I think the newest new tank one can purchase is a 1977. Will that fit into a 78-82?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom