Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cracked rim

vett boy

Corvette
2008 vert 6M silver
Right rear tire kept loosing air so I felt it was time to remove the wheel and take it to the tire shop . I was cleaning the inside of the tire /wheel when i noticed soap bubbles near the bead and rim .Looking closer the rim was cracked .This has to be a factory defect as the car has never been abused nor have I hit anything . Note the rim is the base (cheap) painted rims .I know the fix but I'm curious as if this is common ???

Steve, I never had any issues with either of our 2007's.

Steve, I never had any issues with either of our 2007's.
I don't now how but it does run across my mind that in 08 GM wasn't paying their vendors that well .The wheel looked in perfect shape other than the crack and I haven't driven more than 200 miles this year .I'm a certified welder but no experience on aluminum so I found a guy that repairs wheels for a living .

So in the mean time I'm driving a vet with missing doors and only three wheels ;)

In my Volvo XC70, I swerved to avoid a wreck and hit a bridge curb at interstate speed. Needless to say I was out 2 rims.
Volvo wanted over $300 each for the rims. I found them online for $150 delivered. As they had the cast Volvo logos and part numbers; they were the real deal.

If you want to replace. do a search..
:)

What I learned :We could have welded the aluminum rim in our shop but I'm glad we left it to a pro .I took it to a shop in the city about an hour away that all they do is repair and salvage all rims .Took them 2 minutes to weld and 58 minutes to make the rim round and true .The guy was good and was a perfectionist so we shall hit the road tomorrow

What I learned :We could have welded the aluminum rim in our shop but I'm glad we left it to a pro .I took it to a shop in the city about an hour away that all they do is repair and salvage all rims .Took them 2 minutes to weld and 58 minutes to make the rim round and true .The guy was good and was a perfectionist so we shall hit the road tomorrow

Get those wheels turning Steve.

........so we shall hit the road tomorrow

Glad you got the wheel fixed, Steve. Now it will just be a bit breezy with no doors. :L

A rim repair sounds like a good job to assign to a perfectionist.

Mac

Well after getting the wheel back on the car I noticed a vibration that wasn't normal .I had the wheel balanced so thought it might be the road and only occurred at speeds above 70 mph and very noticeable above 100.So my good friend in North Carolina recommended finding someone with a Hunter road force 9700 balance . Off to my local FORD dealer and they did the dirty deed to do my wheel right .Still need to fix the door as that is frustrating as hell .Heading for Quebec City for some R&R over the 4th so I want things right :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom