Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cragar Rear Window Louvre mounting

dstrouts

Corvette
I recently bought a used Cragar rear window louvre off of ebay for my '81. It only came with the upper hinges for mounting hardware. Does anyone know if/where the mounting kit is still available? If not, how about some pictures of where/how the hinges attach and the pins that hold the bottom down?

I have one with my Vette.. but currently do not have it installed.
Mine is a Three Piece Louvre.

First you install the Side Panels. They have little tabs that slide into the window trim.
Then you install the Center piece. It has tabs at the top that slide under the window trim. Finally, you secure the bottom to the side pieces with a cam lock type connector.

Is this how yours works?

Thanks for the reply. Mine's different. I have it out being painted. Here's a picture I found on a related forum question.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/81Corvette_Guy/104_0417.jpg
Not my Vette, but the louver is the same.
There are small holes at the bottom that look like a small hood pin would go thru to latch them down. The top has 2 hinges about 2-3 inches long -- much too long to slide under the trim. I'm guessing there should be another plate that is stuck to the top of the glass with foam adhesive strips and has some kind of bolt or screw to attach it to the hinge.
Daryl

My Top tabs on my center Louvre are Hinges about 2-3 inches long as well. Only part of it slides under the window trim... the rest presses against the glass to provide a stable base.

The hinges are used to lift the bottom of the louvre up.

104_0417.jpg

I always liked the rear window louvre on Corvettes. Looks good!

:wJane Ann

I have one, not currently installed though. Yes, you are missing the bottom hinges. The way it was installed on my 'vette when I bought her was as follows:

Velcro attached to all 4 hinges. Top hinges and sides slid under rear glass trim. Bottom hinges just stayed secure with velcro. It was suprisingly sturdy. Never had any lifting problems. Hope this helped.

-Tatortot

Where can you buy one brand new... or can you even buy one brand new? Ive always liked the way they look, but i also like the way the glass gives it a sleek look. Either way, i love it!
zachh

I believe they haven't made them for quite a while. Ebay will have them every now and again.

-Tatortot

I've seen a dozen or so on Ebay in the last year. Used one's range from $100 to $400, depending on manufacturer and condition. The Cragar one's are usually selling the highest because of style and there are aluminum and ABS. Shipping can cost $65+ because they can't be taken apart and are oversized. I think Cragar quit making them in the late 80's. Here's an old thread that shows some different ones. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68157&highlight=c3+rear+window
Here's a place you can get new ones, but I've seen others marketers, too.
http://spoilers4less.com/wp1015.html
http://spoilers4less.com/wp10523.html

That pic is of my vette! :upthumbs

I will post pics of the bottom fastening brackets for you bro..at work right now, will post in a little bit, hang in there... Joe

Saw this same louver which is a Cragar Louver, which was brand new, still in box..went for over 500 bones...ouch. Let me konw if you need anything else bro..Joe!

Here are the pics:

Rear view of screw, washer, louver, foam pad, bottom bracker, and 3m adhesive to window
Rear-view-of-Bottom-Bracket.jpg

Top view of tamperless #25 torx head screw
Torx-Head-25.jpg

Side view of same screw
25-Torx-Screw.jpg

Top view of foam pad, bottom bracket with louver removed
Bottom-Bracket-with-Insulat.jpg

Side view of bottom bracket with foam pad off to the side
Side-view-of-Bottom-Bracket.jpg

Great pics. Thanks for posting. I never imagined they looked anything like that. Now I think I can manufacture something that will work. - Daryl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom