Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crankshaft

• Thread starter Thread starter hoser795
  • Start date Start date
H

hoser795

I am new to the whold DOHC LT-5 thing, and dont know much more than what I have read on the spec sheet. First off, is it possible to bore the engines out, and if so, about how far can they go? Also, is the crank any different from a regular Small Block Chevrolet crank? (ie. Could I get a regular old 3.25" crank from a 327 or 3.75" from a 383 and bolt it into the LT5 block, or are the main journals and snouts different?)

The largest that we have been able to go is 425 cid. I think we can still do 427, but it is gona take some serious $$

The LT5 shares nothing with the "traditional" small-block V8 or the current, Gen 3 or 4 engines other than a 4.4-in. bore center distance.

The LT5 crankshaft does not interchange with any other Chevrolet V8 crank.

The LT5 block cannot be bored as it uses liners. The stock, Nikasil-plated, aluminum dry liners cannot be bored effectively. You can replace the stock liners with steel liners then install new pistons to match and that takes the engine out to 368 cuin.

Other, larger, LT5 displacements exist--385, 415 and even larger--but require different liners and a different crankshaft. Significant displacement increases beyond 368 are obscenely expensive.

is it possible or cost effective to recondition the stock alum/nikasil liners. I have a set that show some scuffing damage, are they worth fixing and who can do the nikasil coatings?? I know the nikasil stuff is durable but very expensive!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom