Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Crap......Thats not good help me please

TravisRay

Corvette
1989 Corvette BUILT l-98 1974 Stingray L-82
Got a 1989 corvette it had a leaky injector bought the seal kit and figured hell while everything is off I would go ahead and change out intake gaskets as well. Well I spend 20 hours battling this beast turn it on its out of time {thats not a big deal for me} also it is leaking coolant straight out the tail pipe on one side not both which is weird. It isnt the head gasket I wouldnt thin I didnt mess with them and they were done 20k miles ago. It had a hard start before I fixed the injector leak and now it starts rite up out of time and leaking coolant. My question is why is there coolant coming out of the exhaust if it were a head gasket it would be just smoke no liquid {when i say liquid it looked like someone spilled a whole 20 oz mountain dew on the floor} the second time i started it it did smoke but the tail pipes got hot. It has to be a bad seal on the intake or atleast that is what im hoping I guess im asking for reassurance lol has anyone had this problem before I am almost done redoing all the intake stuff again I believe it was because I used the copper rtv to seal up around valleys and water hole another thing that bothered me was at the end of each gasket there was a blocked off peice with a tiny hole in it that didnt look rite to me any help would be great and yes I torqued it down 35 all around it is alluminum after all.

so
1. its probly the intake seals not sealing rite
2.there are supposed to be blocked off ports on the gasket with pin holes for pressure?

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED AND GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The blocked ports on the rear are correct. People have used gaskets with out them and it didn't make any difference.

Since the only thing you did was mess with the intake manifold, did you use thread sealer on the intake bolts that penetrate into the coolant passages?

Because water is coming out of the exhaust, pull and look at each spark plug. The plug that looks steam cleaned is the cylinder that has the problem. Don't run the engine until you find the problem. Also check the oil level. The oil pan could be filled with antifreeze which is not good for the bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it would help if I was not so retarded...... I hooked up the wrong coolant hose to the intake and the wrong hose to the hose that goes over the valve cover it was pumping antifreeze into my freggin TB I looked back at my pictures and noticed that. It smoked alot I mean alot and then it cleared out and ran fine got it back into time and it is running good. Coolant is green no oil and oil is oil no green or water im just retarded once again thanks for your guys time in the future ill label everything lol :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom