Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

crate engine question

milo30

I've seen alot of recommendations to people for crate engines. They are convenient and priced pretty good to keep you from having to do the labor all yourself. I just had a few questions for some of you that have used them.

I am still making a decision on what motor I want to go with in my 78. I am really considering the LS1. All the ads and info I find about the crates online state the specs and also talk about what you can get by switching to a hot cam for it. What I don't see as an option is buying it with a hotcam in it already or maybe other heads. Has anyone bought one with it already in? I just don't see the justification of me buying a crate if I'm going to pull parts out of it and replace with something else before I ever drop it in the car.

Most of my time searching is after hours so it's to late to talk to them on the phone. I figured I'd come here and ask because I am sure someone else has already found this out.

I wouldn't mind hearing opinions on what engine to drop in there. My main concern is a fairly easy eng/tran swap with some real power. I'm not concerned with price (within reason). I still haven't decided completely on whether to go auto or standard. Still debating with myself on that issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.:beer

website

That's the best informative website I have seen for enogine questions. Thanks for the link, it answered alot of questions and they respond fast to an email

You're Welcome

If I were buying a crate engine, I'd pay them a visit, they're only about an hour from me. I like a lot of things they do, very informative, take lots of pictures and a video of your engine being built. They run your engine and when you install it, all it needs is gas. I know of a few on here that have their engines and they love them.

crate

That's good to hear. I am leery of buying from a builder because you never know just what you are going to get. Their site looks good with lots of info but that doesn't mean that their engines are any good. If others on here are using them and have good experience then that would mean alot to me.

The warranty isn't as good as mr goodwrench or edelbrock on crates...6 months. I figure I would find any problems within 6 months though. Just have to time it so that the engine is the last thing to come in so I can get the 6 months on the road and not in the garage.

I have been leaning alot towards an LS1 or 2 lately. I want a swap with more power but want to also have decent gas mileage. I plan on probably a 6 sp trans swap also so that will help the most. I just wonder how an engine like theirs with a 6sp. would compare to say a LS1 with hot cam and heads and the 6 sp. Anything beets the 12 MPG that I get right now though.

Really appreciate the info and they are in my top 3 right now for a crate engine.

One Of Many

I'm not promoting them, I have nothing to gain but merely adding one for you to look in to. Good luck and let us know what you decide, maybe one of the buyers from them will see this and respond.

If I were buying a crate engine, I'd pay them a visit, they're only about an hour from me. I like a lot of things they do, very informative, take lots of pictures and a video of your engine being built. They run your engine and when you install it, all it needs is gas. I know of a few on here that have their engines and they love them.

But they don't seem to sell 383 short blocks, which is what I wanted.

I got a fair price on a short block, machined and parted to my specs, from theenginestore.com. If you want a short block, call Kent and talk over specs. Quality work at a fair price.

I am quite happy with his work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom